Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

C6168 - interesting that the TSO closest to the camera carried a SC prefix.

Strange as it should have been M6017, but was soon to become S72626 (11/83) as part of a Gatwick Express set before going to NIR, according to Longworth.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the old railways in County Durham photo’s which just show how rich our railway heritage is. In the first photo’ at Stockton South goods coal staithes and yard, from June, 1975, J4409, of the two hopper wagons visible, the first one looks to be of LNER origin with that distinctive brake lever and the different end details.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Another visit to Bottesford and Bottesford West Junction for this afternoon's photos.

attachicon.gifBottesford West Junction Class 114 Nottingham to Skegness March 77 J5651.jpg

Bottesford West Junction Class 114 Nottingham to Skegness March 77 J5651

David

I am sure I am being dense here, but I can’t get my head around J5651. The train is heading for Skeggy so Grantham is behind the photographer. I thought Bottesford West was the junction for the GN line to Newark but this faced Nottingham, not Grantham, so what is the line in the picture?

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I am sure I am being dense here, but I can’t get my head around J5651. The train is heading for Skeggy so Grantham is behind the photographer. I thought Bottesford West was the junction for the GN line to Newark but this faced Nottingham, not Grantham, so what is the line in the picture?

Rob

There was a goods loop on the up side of the line. It could hold 70 wagons plus loco and brake van .   Photo showing more of it below. From ER Sectional Appendix Oct 72.

post-5613-0-44853500-1548271687_thumb.jpg

Edited to correct a detail.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David

Where was tunnel branch junction? Take it there was no tunnel

I wasn't there that day (a good excuse? - probably not) but the junction was to the north of Shildon Tunnel on the line to Bishop Auckland.

The railways in the area were quite complicated.

There was the junction on to the Black Boy branch (which went to Black Boy colliery) and also over the top of the later Shildon tunnel to Shildon.  This branch was closed in the 1920s (Cobbs Atlas date).

There was also the junction with the  line to St Helens/West Auckland and then on to Barnard Castle.

There was also a short line to Adelaide colliery.

If I can find the right book I'll add a bit more.

I'm sure there are people here who know more than me.

David

• RMweb Gold

I looked up the black boy branch and basically it was replaced by shildon tunnel.

The railways in that part of Durham started contracting in early times as coal in that part of the coalfield was easier to mine and was the first part of the county to mine coal and hence the pits were worked out first

I think by the mid sixty's deep mining in that part of Durham had finished

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David

Where was tunnel branch junction? Take it there was no tunnel

I looked up the black boy branch and basically it was replaced by shildon tunnel.

The railways in that part of Durham started contracting in early times as coal in that part of the coalfield was easier to mine and was the first part of the county to mine coal and hence the pits were worked out first

I think by the mid sixty's deep mining in that part of Durham had finished

I've done some more reading, it seems that the Tunnel branch was the name given to the line from Tunnel Junction  at the north end of Shildon Tunnel to Barnard Castle.

There was certainly a lot less mining in that part County Durham from around the 1950s onwards, I'm not sure of the exact closure dates of the pits, many closed much earlier.

The general trend was that as time passed the coal industry gradually moved to the east, exploiting deeper seams nearer the coast (and under the sea).

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The last two pits west of the A1 or ECML were Bearpark and Sacriston which closed in 84 and 85 respectively but neither had been rail served since the sixties ,not sure if their internal railways systems lasted until closure

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which all so full of interest. The first one of Stocksfield station building, in July, 1983, shows how well designed the buildings were. It would make a delightful model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from Newcastle northwards. They are all so full of interest and nostalgia. I particularly like C13928, at Heaton Depot with three lines of condemned coaches in the old carriage shed on the 20th January, 1990. I can see some DMU cars amongst them, including what looks like the rear of a class 108 DMSL. I’m going by the exhaust pipes, the toilet filler pipes, and the tumblehome. Alongside, on the right, is a suburban high density TSL or TCL. There appears to be no toilet so I’ll suggest a TSL, class 116.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from the south of Grantham. They are so full of interest, and bring back plenty of memories. The last one of Gamston with a class 47 on an up express, in October, 1975, J4991, shows up the rippling on the body side of the 47 which I’ve never seen on any model before. Is it not modelable?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from the south of Grantham. They are so full of interest, and bring back plenty of memories. The last one of Gamston with a class 47 on an up express, in October, 1975, J4991, shows up the rippling on the body side of the 47 which I’ve never seen on any model before. Is it not modelable?

As it isn't massive undulations on the real thing, to model it convincingly would be difficult. A bit like trying to get scale ripples in real water I would think.

I could just see you getting derisery comments on your painting skills if you tried to replicate it.

Dave

David,

J4384 is definitely not 55 011 - it has an aluminium, two-line, sans serif nameplate. It's a Haymarket loco and, having blown up and sharpened the image as much as I can, I think that it's 55 010. Of the four with twin line plates (all of which were in traffic in June 1975) I don't think that the plate is large enough for 21 and it can't be 19, as there is another photograph of that loco in June 75 (on www.napier-chronicles.co.uk), similarly taken from no. 1 end, showing that it had a damaged "domino" on the driver's side. Perhaps a typo?

Whatever, it's a lovely shot.

• RMweb Gold

David,

J4384 is definitely not 55 011 - it has an aluminium, two-line, sans serif nameplate. It's a Haymarket loco and, having blown up and sharpened the image as much as I can, I think that it's 55 010. Of the four with twin line plates (all of which were in traffic in June 1975) I don't think that the plate is large enough for 21 and it can't be 19, as there is another photograph of that loco in June 75 (on www.napier-chronicles.co.uk), similarly taken from no. 1 end, showing that it had a damaged "domino" on the driver's side. Perhaps a typo?

Whatever, it's a lovely shot.

Thanks very much for working out the likely number.

For once it's not a typo!

Both Dad and I didn't always write down the number of the locos we photographed during the 1970s, so numbers were often put in our catalogues from memory, others by looking at slides with a magnifying glass or by projecting them as big as possible.  Hence errors could appear.

From the late 70s/early 80s we both usually wrote down details as we took photos, so the numbers are a (bit) more accurate then.

David

• RMweb Premium

My PC has decide to update itself to Windows 10 version 1809 overnight.  As usual some thin gs have changed which are not mentioned in the windows information web pages.  Why do some upgrades alter setting?  It takes me weeks to get things back to normal - but it was just the same when I managed our network at work.

David

It's odd how these updates affect some and not others.

I have two PCs on 1809 and haven't noticed any difference. I rarely do see anything untoward after an update.

Two others in the house are still on 1803, one because it has Intel HD4000 graphics and so far are not being given the update

The worst problem I have had after an update was that all the icons shifted to the LH side and nothing in the settings would cure it. MS didn't mention it, but after another update it was back to normal.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby