Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, and Happy New Year. I hope you are able to continue with this thread for a little longer, life will be most empty without the lovely photo’s you are able to post each day.

The photo’s of Sewstern are as delightful as ever, and I particularly like C1432 of A3 4472 Flying Scotsman, in October, 1973. A truly classic three quarter photo’ of that most famous of locomotives.

The Harrogate photo’s are all gems. They are so nostalgic and full of golden memories. In J194, to be accurate, the third car is a class 101 Metro Cammell TSL, in the class 104 DMU, on a Harrogate to Bradford working in June, 1965. As previously mentioned, the last one is just so freezing cold, and I hope we don’t get weather like that this winter.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I have been away for several days, so a belated Happy New Year and an enormous thanks for posting the photos day by day.

You are educating me well. I never saw The Stray but as soon as i started scrolling up through the photos i recognised the place.

You are probably right about a diet solely of HSTs. One needs some coal and water for balanced nourishment.

Jonathan

As I move through the later 80s it is becoming harder to find suitable images, I don't think an endless dirt of HSTs would be welcomed (at least not after the first few days).

You won't find me complaining!

Thanks again for the continuing stream of photos, always something of interest.

• RMweb Premium

This morning I mentioned that I don't have many 1960s photos left - but there are still a few.

So this evening we revisit the railway across the Stray in Harrogate, just south of the station, in 1965 and 1966.

attachicon.gifHarrogate Class 110 Manchester to Harrogate April 65 J181.jpg

Harrogate Class 110 Manchester to Harrogate April 65 J181

attachicon.gifHarrogate Class 104 Harrogate to Bradford June 65 J194.jpg

Harrogate Class 104 Harrogate to Bradford June 65 J194

attachicon.gifHarrogate Class 101 Leeds to Harrogate June 65 J202.jpg

Harrogate Class 101 Leeds to Harrogate June 65 J202

attachicon.gifHarrogate LMS Class 5 Harrogate to Kings X Nov 65 J421.jpg

Harrogate LMS Class 5 Harrogate to Kings X Nov 65 J421

attachicon.gifHarrogate LMS Class 5 Harrogate to Kings X Feb 66 J441.jpg

Harrogate LMS Class 5 Harrogate to Kings X Feb 66 J441

David

Yeah!!!! More lovely green DMUs and steam. Thanks David and happy new year.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the North Muskham photo’s which are all full of interest and nostalgia. I particularly like J6641, of HST, 254012 on an up express in September, 1979. A photo’ which is a good classic view of BR’s best train from the seventies.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

You won't find me complaining!

Thanks again for the continuing stream of photos, always something of interest.

Me neither, especially if today is anything to go by. A record breaking classic and still going....

Keep 'em coming.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cumbrian Coast photo’s which are all so full of interest. What a fine view of Workington Main Number 3 signal box on the 22nd April, 1987, in C8399. And it’s interesting to see how, what might be a water main, goes over the railway alongside the bridge too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

This is a bit late but a Happy New Year.

The Scottish photos on the 30th can be linked by me as follows.Dunbar was my local station,Millerhill and Princes Street Gardens were well known spotting places.Finally I spent a Caravan Holiday just along from Elliot Junction in 1963 and it was very wet and muddy!

Keep em coming!!

• RMweb Gold

More great photos Dave - many thanks again for sharing them with us all.

In C8390 are the OBA's loaded with timber?

I think they were carrying timber but it is a bit too long ago to be completely certain.

David

Thanks David. I'm assuming they were. There was quite a lot of timber traffic to Workington(?) Thames Board Mill(?) around that time so that would tie in with the Cumbrian coast location.

Thanks again and long may you continue to spoil us with your excellent photos!

• RMweb Gold

C6689 Does that Southern brakevan at Hexham say "Return to Beighton depot"?

Either way, it's a long way from "home"

I've checked the scan I did and it does say Beighton.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are full of interest. I’m glad you were able to take a photo’ of 66764 at South Newsham. It’s a good photo’ of the present day railway which will be of as much historical interest in future times as the earlier photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line are.

And that photo’ C6689, at Hexham, on the 2nd February, 1985, is most interesting. It shows that very interesting vehicles could be found on the railway even by the ‘80’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I've checked the scan I did and it does say Beighton.

David

Darn -- I thought it said 'Brighton' (a more likely location for a 'Pillbox') and was going to comment on it being a long way from home... :jester:

Edited by talisman56

Darn -- I thought it said 'Brighton' (a more likely location for a 'Pillbox') and was going to comment on it being a long way from home... :jester:

By 1985 I don't think you'd have seen many unfitted (ZTO code) brake vans on the Southern, or many brake vans of any sort in fact, as most if not all the SR was fully fitted trains only.