Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Kirkby Stephen and Appleby photo’s which are full of interest. I think it’s exactly like you said, that things can change very quickly. The photo’s of Appleby, C9052, from the 10th August, 1987, and C21778, on the 10th April, 1997, show that the footbridge, lamp posts and doors on the station buildings had all been repainted into red and a form of pale cream. Also a water tank had been built at the far end of the opposite platform.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

PAGE 600!

And nearly 15000 posts.

Any other threads anywhere near? I see Big Jim is around a third of the way there.

Thanks for the dedication in keeping this thread going, a must visit daily fix.....

Dave

• RMweb Gold

It is a most remarkable achievement to reach 600 pages. Well done, Dave. Milestone after milestone are quickly passing by on this lovely thread.

So, please keep the excellent photo’s coming. The day is not complete without them.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

It is a most remarkable achievement to reach 600 pages. Well done, Dave. Milestone after milestone are quickly passing by on this lovely thread.

So, please keep the excellent photo’s coming. The day is not complete without them.

Best regards,

Rob.

One or two layout threads have many pages, but I am not aware of one man’s output of prototype pics getting anywhere near 600. And the quality is right up the scale, too. Some achievement!

• RMweb Premium

I am a bit puzzled by the disappearing footbridge in the first photo of Kirkby Steven. t would have expected it to be in the photo, as it is quite close to the station building. Or am i more confused than usual?

Jonathan

PS May I add my thanks regarding your daily posts. So many great photos.

Amazed at what was crammed into that garden wonder what the neighbours thought.

Good point, but wouldn't it have been wonderful as a kid to be one of the neighbours ?!

Congratulations also to David on 600 pages; What an achievement !

I am a bit puzzled by the disappearing footbridge in the first photo of Kirkby Steven. t would have expected it to be in the photo, as it is quite close to the station building. Or am i more confused than usual?

Jonathan

PS May I add my thanks regarding your daily posts. So many great photos.

The footbridge wasn't there then - I think it was only put up around 1999

Just googled it - it was put up in 1998

Edited by 101

• RMweb Gold

Amazed at what was crammed into that garden wonder what the neighbours thought.

Good point, but wouldn't it have been wonderful as a kid to be one of the neighbours ?!

Congratulations also to David on 600 pages; What an achievement !

Two sides of Teddy's garden faced on to roads, the third side side was by the churchyard.

So only one side of his garden did have another garden next to it, but from memory it was a very large garden with a big house set near another road in the village, as can be seen in the third photo.

Teddy had the knack of getting on with most people - which is an asset when you are a vicar.

Edited to correct spelling and to add a bit.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Newcastle Class 47 47426 up May 74 J3718  Manors station in the background. Great shot of 1A27 with two catering vehicles (what service?) and just look at the lack of road traffic.

Newcastle Class 253 up ex pass NE to SW 21st Feb 85 C6716  Passing over the High Level Bridge having left from one of the east end bay platforms. Oh the atmosphere in that one.

Also first time I've noticed the speed limits up on the ganteries.

Regards,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A truly lovely set of photo’s from Cadeby. The Reverend Teddy Boston certainly collected a remarkable selection of stock. And the last photo’ of the church window at Cadeby is most lovely. You won’t have church windows like that elsewhere.

The Newcastle photo’s are most interesting, and I particularly like the last one of 47552 on an empty coaching stock service about to go round the circle, on the 23rd October, 1986. I guess that would have given long enough for a platform to be freed for a train from Edinburgh to Kings Cross.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

1A27 in the 1974/5 timetable was the 14.10 Newcastle-Kings Cross, looks like an RU (for meals) and RB (for buffet but possibly extra meal provision)

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt74-75.htm

Since the train started at Newcastle the photo must show the empty stock working from Heaton, the loco already shows the headcode for the journey south from Newcastle rather than an ecs headcode.

Edit - Looking at the shadows in the photo the time fits.

David

Edited by DaveF

J3718.

Shows how we can "get away with" American Cornerstone and the like buildings on UK layouts.

Hmmmm. Strangely Messrs Bradwell and Pendleton were witnessed to be playing in the lifts in that very building (Old Town Hall) just a few short weeks ago. I was only pressing the buttons in the lift (that speaks).

It kept saying, "Overloaded Overloaded".

P

• RMweb Premium

Since the train started at Newcastle the photo must show the empty stock working from Heaton, the loco already shows the headcode for the journey south from Newcastle rather than an ecs headcode.

Edit - Looking at the shadows in the photo the time fits.

David

Thank you for that Dave, must admit i didn't even twig the train was still north of the station! Oops

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s taken at Craigendoran and Oban. They are all most interesting, and, of course, the way the loops are worked is that a train has to pass a stationary train to that trains right, since that’s the way the points are always set.

The class 311 EMU in C8048, at Craigendoran, set number 311097, on a Helensburgh to Glasgow service, on the 11th October, 1986, shows how completely different the cab ends looked after the outer windscreens were altered.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C5627 is a lovely shot; many of yours are superb at capturing winter atmosphere but this is a masterpiece!  One can almost feel the silence that is about to descend on this half forgotten station when the Cravens has rattled on it's way; there is bound to be a 'sussuration' of starlings somewhere!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford and Bottesford West Junction photo’s which are full of interest. I particularly like C6168. at Bottesford with a class 47 on a Glasgow and Edinburgh to Parkeston Quay service in August, 1983. The flurry of exhaust indicates that the train is either accelerating or the engine is having some unexplained difficulty.

With warmest regards,

Rob.