Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

J7999:  the ano Class 20 with 20 070 would be 20 073, which worked on two days in July 1983:  on 26th heading 1E04 09:37 Derby - Skegness (additional) and 1M07 18:10 (additional) return and on 27th heading 1E85 09:29 Derby - Skegness and 1M47 18:37 return.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the Midland Railway at Toton and Long Eaton. They are full of interest and I see take us back to the particularly hot month of July, 1983. In J8024, at Long Eaton, Station Road crossing, with a class 25/3 on a down coal empty train, I see there is a bit of a bodyside dent on this side of the locomotive, and that, for whatever reason, the first wagon is a 16 ton mineral wagon. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ECML from north of Grantham which are a great reminder of how things were back in 1978 and 1979. I think the first photo’, apart from showing some differences in the carriage colours, is a great photo’ of a Deltic at Barkston, number 55011,  on what surely must be a additional service up to King’s Cross. All Mk1 carriages including the former Pullman car.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

J6136 looks like 55002 not 55011. The number although pixelated looks like it ends with a 2, the words on the top line of the nameplate look too long for 55011 and, perhaps more decisively, other photos of 55011 take in 1978 show blue painted front cab window frames, not aluminium which fits with 55002.

Wild guesswork now, J6138 could be 47528 and C4089 like 47519

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Hi Dave,

J6136 looks like 55002 not 55011. The number although pixelated looks like it ends with a 2, the words on the top line of the nameplate look too long for 55011 and, perhaps more decisively, other photos of 55011 take in 1978 show blue painted front cab window frames, not aluminium which fits with 55002.

Wild guesswork now, J6138 could be 47528 and C4089 like 47519

Many thanks for taking the trouble to check the Deltic number, having had another look at the scan I agree with you.

Thanks too for trying to work out the 47s.

David

• RMweb Premium

I always think that the terminus at Windermere is such a let down. I suppose we ought to be grateful that they keep enough trackbed for what could possibly be another platform. The old terminus was much nicer, and I remember walking out through the portico, which is somewhat forlorn these days..

I had the first of my two cab rides on the line, a driver invited my brother and I into the cab of a Calder-Valley set way back in what must have been the late '80's. I can recall that we sat behind the cab, and he had the door open to the saloon. Went asked we jumped at the opportunity! It was a hot day in summer, and I can recall that number 3 engine kept shutting down, and at every station he would try and re-start it, without much luck. We were asked to leave the cab just after Kendal, so we wouldn't be seen as he came into Oxenhope. We left for the WCML and the driver was seen with the watering can refilling radiator tanks...

Hard to believe that there is still a manned crossing at Staverley....

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Windermere branch photo’s which date back to when the class 142’s had only been introduced for a short period of time. In C9050, at Kendal, on the 10th August, 1987, with 142012 and 142096, it’s a great photo’ of those two Pacers leaving the station, and today, 142096 is the one with rust and some holes around many of it’s side windows. 

And, of course, on Monday of next week, the 1st of July, the brand new class 195’s take over working the Windermere branch services. So history is about to be made.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Market65 said:

on Monday of next week, the 1st of July, the brand new class 195’s take over working the Windermere branch services. So history is about to be made.

Rob.

If there's one in the station next week when I'm there I'll take a photo or 2

Of course the bi-modes were originally pencilled in for that service after electrification was cancelled, to stop so much diesel under the wires running!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, uax6 said:

I always think that the terminus at Windermere is such a let down. I suppose we ought to be grateful that they keep enough trackbed for what could possibly be another platform. The old terminus was much nicer, and I remember walking out through the portico, which is somewhat forlorn these days..

This image was taken in the late 70s. Wasn't really that much nicer back then, somewhat dilapidated...

class105.JPG.6cd136c883493096d3de1cc3c0e03b0f.JPG

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

But at least it felt like you had arrived somewhere important, now its like arriving at the end of a siding!

I remember the clock in particular, driven by gears from inside the station building...

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s going east from Gateshead. They are all full of interest, and show how better the electrified Metro system was to BR’s out of date diesel lines. Indeed, will that difference ever change? In the last photo’, at Boldon Colliery now Brockley Whins, with a two car class 101 unit on a Newcastle to Sunderland service in August, 1985, you have a good shot of the signal cabin. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

And that XP64 coach is now semi-derelict on the Wensleyday railway. Theres another one there too, but there is only one other at the end of a siding on the Dean Forest also semi-derelict. These three are all second class vehicles, two TSO and one corridor. The 1st class vehicle has now been scrapped. According to the carriage trust survey, the Wensleydale pair are going to be restored, but I guess that's a long term goal.....

Andy G

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Along with the withdrawn Brush 4s in C24696 there appears to be a line of ex-Departmental Civil Engineers Brush 2s in the background of C24698. Presumably some of the first casualties of the Class 66 invasion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uax6 said:

And that XP64 coach is now semi-derelict on the Wensleyday railway. Theres another one there too, but there is only one other at the end of a siding on the Dean Forest also semi-derelict. These three are all second class vehicles, two TSO and one corridor. The 1st class vehicle has now been scrapped. According to the carriage trust survey, the Wensleydale pair are going to be restored, but I guess that's a long term goal.....

Andy G

One wonders whether the NRM should be taking an interest in the XP64 stock ?

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the NYMR photo’s. What great memories they all bring back. In C6083, at Goathland, in July, 1983, there are more carriages to be seen, including the now fully preserved Gresley buffet car and the ex H&BR BT. I hope that carriage will be fully preserved one day.

The BR photo’s from several locations are also full of memories and interest. In C15391, at Huddersfield, on the 8th September, 1990, with the Provincial liveried 47, 47475, and also the first Mk2 in Provincial livery, makes a fine sight as it awaits departure for Liverpool from Newcastle. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Ahh Healey Mills, when we lived in Dewsbury my Dad would often take me on an evening to have a look at whats going on there, Tinsley as well in the Mid to late 90s. Them pics bring back good memories of being a kid

Thanks as ever Dave

James

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly, it’s quite ok to be a bit late every so often. We all lead busy lives these days, so please just post the lovely photo’s as and when you are able to. Indeed, if there’s some days you are not able to post any that’s quite ok too. 

Todays photo’s from the Grantham to Nottingham line are as interesting as ever, and I particularly like J7249, at Radcliffe on Trent, with a class 114 DMU on a Skegness to Nottingham service in September, 1980. It’s a very photogenic scene which your Dad has captured well. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1