Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I spent some of the summer of 87 volunteering in Garforth; nice to see the station again. I have never been to Castleford, but I did visit a site in Knottingley where the faded green pacer was going. It was one of those places where the first thing they did was show you where you had to go if there was a chemicals escape.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

By heck, there's a challenge in picture c6809 for anybody with an N gauge 03 and Conflat runner truck, does anybody know the full wording on the conflat side....I can make out - 'Air braked shunting runner ?? Vehicle (?) For use.........(2nd line) ....air braked shunting ?? In the Newcastle ???'

Great photos as ever, Dave, thanks for sharing them with us.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the  Northumberland photo’s which are full of interest. I particularly like the first one at Morpeth of 03 shunter, 03112, running up, on the 18th April, 1985. It is a fine side portrait of the shunter complete with runner wagon.

With warmest regards, 

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

Agree, lovely picture of 03112; Was there an 03 based at Morpeth at that time, or was this the Tweedmouth loco en route to Gateshead for a changeover ?

It was the Tweedmouth loco, it was held in the up loop for quite a long time to await a path to continue on its slow journey south. 

Morpeth didn't have its own shunter then.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Slow or not, these little locos could go faster than an 08. And they must have been a better ride; I’ve been in derailments that were more comfortable than riding on an 08.  25s were a close second mind, and they could do 90mph!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from between Chester le Street and Durham. They are all of interest, and bring plenty of happy memories back. I particularly like the atmospheric view of a HST in C9176, at Plawsworth  with 43039 leading, on a down express on the 26th October, 1987.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s which are full of interest and atmosphere. The first one at Bebside with a class 37, on an up permanent way empties train, in December, 1987, is just so atmospheric, and the low angle of the sun is picking out plenty of details.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone ever modelled any 16 tonners with the slits cut into the sides? Am I right in saying this was done to prevent overfilling?

Always enjoy seeing pictures around the blyth/ashington/cambois area, thanks for posting!

Edited by Clagsniffer
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, russ p said:

Absolutely fantastic pictures David,  on a side note looks like your metro was due radius arm bearings 

I only kept it for a few more months - like most Metros it started to rust very quickly, especially the front wings.

David

17 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s which are full of interest and atmosphere. The first one at Bebside with a class 37, on an up permanent way empties train, in December, 1987, is just so atmospheric, and the low angle of the sun is picking out plenty of details.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I noticed the third wagon in the train didn't have holes in the sides to prevent overfilling and on closer inspection does not have a side door either. Presumably one of the former stone tipplers?

The upper edge also appears to be slightly lower than the surrounding vehicles.

Were the stone wagons, which from memory were rated at 27t c.f. 16t for the coal wagons, good enough not to require holes to be cut in the sides or was this a vehicle that had yet to be treated?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

I noticed the third wagon in the train didn't have holes in the sides to prevent overfilling and on closer inspection does not have a side door either. Presumably one of the former stone tipplers?

The upper edge also appears to be slightly lower than the surrounding vehicles.

Were the stone wagons, which from memory were rated at 27t c.f. 16t for the coal wagons, good enough not to require holes to be cut in the sides or was this a vehicle that had yet to be treated?

The difference is in the 10/11 tons difference in capacity.  Before enough fitted 26t tipplers had become available for stone traffic from the Mendips and Peak District, 16-tonners were used as 'fitted heads', often with '3/4' painted prominently on the sides to remind loaders that these were lower capacity wagons.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2