Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Good to see Waverley in happier times. The need for major boiler works has placed the future as an operational ship in doubt, 

https://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/

We were looking forward to taking a trip this Summer on the East Coast leg of the tour but the feeling is that it’ll be 2021 or 22 at the earliest before she’ll resume sailing, if indeed at all.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Enlarging J3215 reveals 9015 TULYAR

1L33 is 17.05 (16.05/Sats) Kings Cross - Leeds/Harrogate Yorkshire Pullman

1S14 is 13.00 Kings Cross - Edinburgh

1A32 is 13.00 Kings Cross - Newcastle

Edited by brushman47544
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML Swayfield photo’s which, as always, are full of interest. I particularly like J3215, with 9015 Tulyar, as it’s been indentified, which makes such an imposing sight hauling that down express in June, 1973. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the SVR photo’s which show the line in earlier days. In C3302, at Bridgnorth, on the 11th April, 1977, the BR standard class 4 tank engine, in unlined black, 80079, makes a contrasting sight at the head of those preserved GWR corridor carriages. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Edinburgh photo’s, which are of interest and most nostalgic. All capture the railway so well, and way it made it’s way through Princes Street Gardens in particular. I love the way that last photo’, C9059, of class 107,  107429 on an up service, on the 18th August, 1987, gives such a great panorama across the platforms of Waverley station. It’s as if you really are stood there watching the trains arrive and depart.

C9023 is a beautiful panorama of Edinburgh and Waverley station from the castle. It shows how the station was developed as a part of the city and not just imposed upon it. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 07/07/2019 at 14:48, DaveF said:

This afternoon we head north into Scotland, arriving at Edinburgh for some more photos in Princes Street Gardens and at Waverley station.

"'ere, guv, got any more o' these?"

Brilliant, thanks Dave! Some fantastic detailing possibilities for Princes St on WW there.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland, which are all very interesting. In C9300, at Bustarn Barns, on the 22nd December, 1987, I see 143002, on the Berwick to Newcastle service, but I can’t see 143010. 

With warmest regards, 

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland, which are all very interesting. In C9300, at Bustarn Barns, on the 22nd December, 1987, I see 143002, on the Berwick to Newcastle service, but I can’t see 143010. 

With warmest regards, 

Rob.

The front coach was from 143002, the rear coach from 143010.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Waverley West said:

"'ere, guv, got any more o' these?"

Brilliant, thanks Dave! Some fantastic detailing possibilities for Princes St on WW there.

Dave

I think I have some more but they are in the long queue to sort out and caption.

David

• Like 1

From a couple of similar photographs taken at around the same time, I'd suggest that J7119 is 47 571. In particular, the Stratford silver roof, the marks under the centre of the headcode panel and a small dent below the vertical handrail on the secondman's side, above the buffer beam, match the number 2 end in the other images.

Interestingly, this is one of the Brush 4s that is still with us, albeit not as built. The bodyshell and (possibly, although they've most likely been swapped over the years) bogies were used for one of the Virgin Class 57/3 conversions, this one becoming no. 57 305, which was (post-Virgin) bought by Direct Rail Services and painted into umber and cream for the Northern Belle operation. It is now at Leicester, where it is currently part of the Rail Operations Group fleet.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cumbrian Coast line photo’s which are, as always, all full of interest and nostalgia. The last one, of Workington, on the 22nd April, 1987, captures so perfectly the vast expanses of the platforms,  the yellow Crewe brickwork, and the Mk1 TPO carriages are stood on a track which  had been used for TPO stock for many years prior to their use on that service. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s which are full of interest. In particular, I like C6435, at South Newsham, on the 4th March, 1984, with 37099 running round a permanent way train. That’s such a glorious portrait of that locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2019 at 18:46, Andrea506 said:

The design did evolve through the 60s and 70s, it was almost unique to Nottingham, I remember these buses from my childhood like it was only yesterday.

I also liked those buses in Nottingham as a child. They looked very modern. However, I liked the Nottingham trolleybuses even more and was gutted when they shut the system down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2019 at 10:39, LMS2968 said:

Speaking as an ex-SVR fireman, you've captured two of the worst engines to fire in the fleet at that time: 193 and 600!

I have a funny memory seeing 193 when it was at Bury around 1989/90..

standing by the loco on the platform, ready to depart, guard gave the whistle, got the green flag, and the driver responded with a whistle, whilst the fireman looked backdown the train...

Driver opened the regulator... and nothing.

He closed it,tried again, .. and nothing.

And a third time, when the fireman looked in to see what was going on...

one more try, and nothing.

They has a quick discussion, opened it very gently and the engine nearly jumped off the track and flew out of the station.

I recall it had a very unusual chime whistle, bigger than its safety valves !, someone told me (an old guy who I thought was the owner of 193) said it was ex-Dominion of New Zealand, though it didn’t sound like a regular A4, more of an overseas chime... I loved it, still remember it’s sound now.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

I recall it had a very unusual chime whistle, bigger than its safety valves !, someone told me (an old guy who I thought was the owner of 193) said it was ex-Dominion of New Zealand, though it didn’t sound like a regular A4, more of an overseas chime... I loved it, still remember it’s sound now.

From Wikipedia (other sources agree) - this is the 4464 page:

As the original 4492 had a New Zealand Government Railways five-chime whistle fitted shortly after its introduction to service in 1937, a suitable whistle was borrowed from the Glenbrook Vintage Railway in New Zealand.

• Thanks 1

If anyone wants to hear what a NZR chime sounds like here's some video that will give you the full range of Kiwi whistles, hooters and chimes (and some of those strange modern infernal confusion engine horns as well!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1