Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Would I be correct that the B1 is a Replica one? If so it has the drive to the rear wheels using a Mainline type motor. I have one that I fettled years ago. There's a massive amount of slop in the 'bearings', actually just slots in the frames. I can't remember now how I did it but bushed things to get rid of a lot of the slop and improved the running no end. The loco is buried in a far corner at the moment so can't look either although it did run better backwards than forwards.

• RMweb Premium

Box 13 only contained 3 working locos and one them was twice.

It has 5 various makes of class 40 bodies in need of chassis.

The three engines are a Lima class 33, Silver Fox Falcon on Lima power bogies and a Scratchbuilt Falcon on Tri-ang power unit. Not much to say about the three of them mechanically wise. Clean and oil and off they went. I did give them trains to run with. The scratchbuilt falcon in BR green looked wonderful on a train of maroon Mk1s, it is hard to believe this 35 year old loco on an older power unit ran so well. Nice slow speed control, as well as a top scale speed in excess of 90 mph. The other two took turns in hauling a parcels train. It ran OK for a long time, I brought it to a halt a wee bit sharp and one van derailed. After that it took quite a few circuits for it to settle down, I think each van took its turn in coming off and not all in the same place.  

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Would I be correct that the B1 is a Replica one? If so it has the drive to the rear wheels using a Mainline type motor. I have one that I fettled years ago. There's a massive amount of slop in the 'bearings', actually just slots in the frames. I can't remember now how I did it but bushed things to get rid of a lot of the slop and improved the running no end. The loco is buried in a far corner at the moment so can't look either although it did run better backwards than forwards.

Hi

Thanks, I would be interested in seeing what you did to improve the running. It is an early Bachmann model. It looked like the rear axle has started to come apart and/or one of the tyres is working lose. I am not too concerned about it at the moment. I am trying to find which locos do not work at all and just make a note of those with problems. If they are ones that could be used on my new layout then sort them out. If they might not be used then I need to consider what to do with them. At the moment No 19 is not planned to be  layout performer, I have two more B1s for that. If something can be done then it might go back into capital stock.

Hi

Thanks, I would be interested in seeing what you did to improve the running. It is an early Bachmann model. It looked like the rear axle has started to come apart and/or one of the tyres is working lose. I am not too concerned about it at the moment. I am trying to find which locos do not work at all and just make a note of those with problems. If they are ones that could be used on my new layout then sort them out. If they might not be used then I need to consider what to do with them. At the moment No 19 is not planned to be layout performer, I have two more B1s for that. If something can be done then it might go back into capital stock.

Hi Clive,

After a bit of clambering I've had a quick look at it. Without taking it to bits it looks like I made up some false frame sides with a much tighter clearance slot in for the axles, but mine is a Replica one with the traction tyres on the rear driving axle. I don't know if the early Bachmann ones have the same arrangement because they have a can motor driving the middle axle, the one I can get at is in the garage at the moment.

One problem I am well aware of with early Bachmanns is a tendency for the plastic wheel centre to expand and push the coupling rods out of line, it can be severe enough to lock the entire chassis up. The wheels are solid metal with these inserts, this has been discussed before on Rmweb, I suspect it's something to do with the type of plastic and possibly interaction with the lubricant in use around this time, a kind of thick waxy white grease. Standard 4MTs of similar vintage had the same problem. That may give the impression of a tyre coming loose.

My 'cure' is to take a craft knife and shave off the protruding wheel centre until it's no longer fouling the rods, in extreme cases the entire centre can be removed leaving the metal wheel which is still spoked and once painted isn't particularly obvious.

• RMweb Premium

On saturday I went all teh way to Shenfield in Essex to play trains on Dave Tailby's latest creation, Tudwick Road. It is 0 gauge and DCC controlled with noise. I soon learnt where the whistle  button was on the controller, the kids loved it. I even found the lights switch. i don't know how I done it but Dave didn't either. At the show I purchased some more Tri-ang coaches to be able to finish my Swindon inter-city unit as an eight car train and a Hornby class 25 to make into a LMR/NER class 24 with headcode box or a class 25/0. I think the 24 with headcode box is winning at the moment. Gotta get me skates on with this one as SLW and Bachmann are poised to make their versions. 

I gave the 25 a run yesterday, it couldn't have been run for ages, needed a good clean up and fresh oil. Even then it done what a lot of Hornby ringfields do and that is run slowly with a slight judder. After a few laps speed had increased and the judder gone. Once it was running OK at speed I then tried it at a slow speed and it ran smoothly. I am sure many modellers have not driven their Hornby locos for a long time when they do they run slowly and with a judder. Unless you have a rolling road or a roundy roundy where they can exercise themselves they will appear to be rubbish when in fact a well maintained and regularly used ringfield powered loco can be a great engine for a layout.

Talking of regularly used locos I ran my class 4 4-6-0 on the other track because I don't think since we moved to the middle of nowhere it has had a run. The BR class 4 2-6-0 has because it ran opposite direction to the LMS one.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I gave the 25 a run yesterday, it couldn't have been run for ages, needed a good clean up and fresh oil. Even then it done what a lot of Hornby ringfields do and that is run slowly with a slight judder. After a few laps speed had increased and the judder gone. Once it was running OK at speed I then tried it at a slow speed and it ran smoothly. I am sure many modellers have not driven their Hornby locos for a long time when they do they run slowly and with a judder. Unless you have a rolling road or a roundy roundy where they can exercise themselves they will appear to be rubbish when in fact a well maintained and regularly used ringfield powered loco can be a great engine for a layout.

I used to have quite a lot of Hornby engines with ringfield motors, and found their smooth running could be improved if you polished the commutator with a fibreglass pencil.  If it's the sort I'm thinking of, I think there's a small hole in the side where you can see the commutator?  If so you can prod the end of a fibreglass pencil in there to polish it while spinning the motor on power.  Goodness knows where the fibreglass fragments go but they didn't seem to do any harm!

• RMweb Premium

I used to have quite a lot of Hornby engines with ringfield motors, and found their smooth running could be improved if you polished the commutator with a fibreglass pencil.  If it's the sort I'm thinking of, I think there's a small hole in the side where you can see the commutator?  If so you can prod the end of a fibreglass pencil in there to polish it while spinning the motor on power.  Goodness knows where the fibreglass fragments go but they didn't seem to do any harm!

Fibregalss fragments.....normally I find them in my fingers when the painful itchiness wakes me up eight or nine hours later.

Hi

Thanks, I would be interested in seeing what you did to improve the running. It is an early Bachmann model. It looked like the rear axle has started to come apart and/or one of the tyres is working lose. I am not too concerned about it at the moment. I am trying to find which locos do not work at all and just make a note of those with problems. If they are ones that could be used on my new layout then sort them out. If they might not be used then I need to consider what to do with them. At the moment No 19 is not planned to be  layout performer, I have two more B1s for that. If something can be done then it might go back into capital stock.

I have a spare Ringfield chassis for a B1.

I'm not using it since I got a cheap Ebay Hornby one to complement the marvellous Jameson beast built for me by the much missed Brian Wiltshire, The Jameson God!

I'm saying I've got one, I've got to find the damn thing!!!!

If I find it and it is of any use to you, PM me.

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

No running tonight, me legs is tired. I didn't operate the layout either.

I did a tiny bit of modelling, well there was this general purpose files knocking about so I the taken most the horn and wing thingies off the headcode box on the class 24 with headcode box. The door hinges etc from the front doors.

• Like 1

Of all the brilliant models that I could be inspired by on RM web, I seem to be sidetracked and fascinated by posts from a bloke simply unpacking boxes. Most of us would probably regard it as a major challenge to scratch build one loco from styrene sheet, but you seem to turn them out almost on a production line. How long roughly does it take to do each one, apart from painting ?

• RMweb Premium

Of all the brilliant models that I could be inspired by on RM web, I seem to be sidetracked and fascinated by posts from a bloke simply unpacking boxes. Most of us would probably regard it as a major challenge to scratch build one loco from styrene sheet, but you seem to turn them out almost on a production line. How long roughly does it take to do each one, apart from painting ?

Hi Jazzer

I don't think my answer is going to be that helpful. Anything from a weekend to 33 years (and still not finished). I have never timed myself, so total hours per loco is not known.  I am by nature very lazy, so I only model what I want to when I want to. That is why I never build for anyone else.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not me thankfully!

Taking thread drift to whole new level.

Mike.

Just a mere professional observation I made when I was a nurse.

Serious 'ead on.....If you are of retirement age (or thereabouts) and you seem to be getting up more times each night to go to the loo, or if when you need to go find it hard to start or when you finish feel that your bladder is not empty or a combination of these, get yourself to the doctors, pronto. Prostate cancer kills more men than women die of breast cancer, or cervical cancer. It is treatable. Not all prostate enlargement is cancer, it could be benign. It is still worth having treatment and being able to sleep at night not keep getting up.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think you're the first person who I find actually might have more locos than I do!  I'm embarrassed to count them, but there's an awful lot, OO from my first Nellie through a load of poorly made kits to a SLW 24, a handful of O kit built, a LOT of recent-ish US HO diesels, 8 live steamers for the garden plus the same amount of battery jobs....if Mrs NHN ever sees them all together I'm dead.  I just don't sell them, but like to buy them, and being a dealer in semi-retirement does not help!  My name is Neil and I'm a locoholic.

Just a mere professional observation I made when I was a nurse.

Serious 'ead on.....If you are of retirement age (or thereabouts) and you seem to be getting up more times each night to go to the loo, or if when you need to go find it hard to start or when you finish feel that your bladder is not empty or a combination of these, get yourself to the doctors, pronto. Prostate cancer kills more men than women die of breast cancer, or cervical cancer. It is treatable. Not all prostate enlargement is cancer, it could be benign. It is still worth having treatment and being able to sleep at night not keep getting up.

Bringing a downer to this chaps.

If anybody in your family has suffered from prostate cancer, get a PSA test. I think it is PSA or PSU I get them mixed up.

I should have and didn't!! Fortunately, my GP picked up on something else and I am going through chemo and the permanent hormone treatment now.

It is incurable, but the treatment will keep me around to annoy people for a lot longer yet!!!!

Seriously, the earlier it is picked up, it is curable.

Right, I'll beggar off.

Chris.

Bringing a downer to this chaps.

If anybody in your family has suffered from prostate cancer, get a PSA test. I think it is PSA or PSU I get them mixed up.

I should have and didn't!! Fortunately, my GP picked up on something else and I am going through chemo and the permanent hormone treatment now.

It is incurable, but the treatment will keep me around to annoy people for a lot longer yet!!!!

Seriously, the earlier it is picked up, it is curable.

Right, I'll beggar off.

Chris.

Yep, any hint of problem get to the doctors. I was under investigation for possible prostate cancer for three years. All the tests were coming back negative but the PSA (Prostate Specific Antigens) reading was off the scale, 44 at one stage when it should be under 6.

Anyway there was no cancer but it was a benign enlarged prostate, which got so bad I started to suffer from Total Retention which means your bladder is filling up but you can’t pass anything so you hav3 to get down to A&E pretty sharpish before your bladder splits or your kidneys get damaged, and when you get a Total Retention, the pain is unbelievable. Eventually I had surgery to reduce the size of the prostate and now it’s all done I feel great, and everything works normally with the added bonus that no cancer was found.

The bottom line is that 80% of men will have either prostate cancer or a benign enlarged prostate sooner or later so might as well take it seriously as soon there is any sign of it as it doesn’t only affect old fogeys.

Sorry about the diversion, but it is a serious matter. Now back to playing trains.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

On to box fourteen.

Un deed Hornby class 29, ney bogies so cannie run.

A Lima class 27, converted from a class 33 and represents one of the NER locos that went via the MR to Scotland. A good brush and scrub and off it went Lima style.

The other five occupants are Airfix class 30s. All needed repairs.

The first one had a broken chassis where the arc cutout for the screw that holds the power bogie in place. Superglue and four bits of plastic card made that good.

Next one , the toffee apple conversion that is still on going, seemed to be leaning a wee bit, as I took the body off the little lug thingy that was broken on those in box 10 feel into my hand. More superglue and a plastic card reinforcer.

Number three just ran badly. Even worse after taking the motor bogie apart and not putting back together properly to start with.

Number four had both lug/pivot thingies broken and number five had the left, not the right like all the others, one broken. New ones made and superglued on. Number four had at some point in time, and again I cannot remember, a similar repair to number one where the frame had broken across that arc for the screw. I know it was one of my repairs by the style of bodging of the plastic card supports.

All five had their motor bogies stripped down and oiled, clean wheels etc and they ran Ok .

post-16423-0-83583700-1537398167_thumb.jpg

Box 14 contents plus the class 24 with headcode box conversion I started last night.

post-16423-0-89932500-1537398234_thumb.jpg

The class 24.

• RMweb Premium

Box 15 was opened and one loco zoomed around like a jet fighter until it took off on the Barnsley Junction crossover. :superman:

I hate getting superglue on my finger tips but tonight it appears to have stopped me getting glassfiber bits in my fingers. :sungum:

• Like 3