Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Now on to box sixteen, I think. All 8 locos are Baby Deltics, one is being refurbished, this is my eldest scratchbuilt loco, one was finished waiting paint shop when I dropped it so has some repairs to finish the other 6 are all under construction. I have started to get them running but I am racing ahead of myself.

This afternoon before putting last nights trains back in their sidings I got out two of my Vi-Trains class 37s which are being backdated. They look good and run so well. Why didn't the importers keep the range going because they are well made? I did double head one with a Tri-ang and Bachmann combination, the Tri-ang model still looks good to me but not a patch on the Vi Trains locos. Oddly when double heading, with only a light train both they ran slowly. Individually both the Vi-Tains and the Tri-ang/Bachy combo had a good top speed.

Mean time, Sundays look like they will be good.

• RMweb Premium

That was the hardest box to do. The only one that was just a oil and clean was the one awaiting repair and paint. My first Baby Deltic was designed to run on Hornby bogies but back in 1982 my spares collection was great so it ended up on an extended Lima H0 class 33 chassis. Well to standardise I have replaced the Lima power with Hornby unit. I have no idea where I got these power bogies but they all needed quite a lot of attention. Some never had brushes, one didn't even have gear wheels, luckily I found a spare 4 wheeled power bogie that was able to donate its gears. Some had such dirty commutators it was a wonder that electricity could flow. One would run reasonably well one way but not the other. It appeared to be a electric problem, I worked on the bogies to give them more wobble to improve the pick up, that didn't work. I removed the bogies and tested the conductivity working backwards from the motor brush holders. No problem, back on the track and no difference. I took apart again. Stripped the motor right down, it was on rebuilding it I realised the connection from the brush holder to the power bogie frame kept losing contact. I wedged a thin bit of metal (part of a tension lock hook) in the connection. It runs very well now.

All needed to have their bogies made more wobbly so improve pick up and prevent derailing on Barnsley Junction. Some never had the wire that links the pick up to the power bogie so I did the same bodge as I did for the BTH in box 7 or 8. The back to back on the wheels of many of the pick up bogies were to narrow causing derailments. One pick up bogie had a wheel from a power bogie complete with traction tyre.

Only one more box of mainline locos to do. Than I think it is time to have a play with the DMUs and steam locos.    

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow seventeen boxes full of mainline diesels and a carriage heating unit a B1. The last box also threw a few challenges. Two locos the pick up was really bad after a huge investigation it was gunk on the axles and bearings on the Hornby power bogie, not had that problem before. I broke a inner clip of a class 29 bogie so one loco is running with a class 25 frame. One loco, a scratchbuilt one ran lovely before I cleaned it, even better afterwards. In fact it ran as well as the Heljan model. One loco didn't get tested, I think it loaned its bogies to the pair of Metro Vics from box ????. Now I have a problem do I finish off the part built scratchbuilt locos and retire the cut and shuts or just carry on upgrading the three scratchbuilt locos that had been considered finished?

These

post-16423-0-83725900-1537741354_thumb.jpg

From left to right D5900 to D5909

Or the replacements

post-16423-0-25423400-1537741365_thumb.jpg

From left to right D5909 to D5900,

Meanwhile on the mainline today I have ran some class 40s and class 46s but our photographer only managed to capture this pair.

post-16423-0-34928500-1537741374_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-14023000-1537741384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jobs still to do regarding the boxed locos.

1x NBL type 1, do I rebuild this broken loco? Bogies to the NBL type 2?

1x EE type 3, file off detail of Tri-ang bogie and make and fit an EE style bogie side frame.

1x NBL type 2 (hydraulic) work out a way of isolating the two bogies from each other.

1x NBL type 2 (electric) find a set of bogies.

1x Brush type 4, rebuild the discovered chassis.

1x Brush type 4, MTK, sort out why it is taking so much power.

4 or 5x EE type 4s, rebuild at least 3 ex Peak chassis.

Have you opened all your boxes now Clive? You've got a few projects to get on with now!

Steve.

Hi Steve

I was half way through typing the above when your post appeared. Some stuff to get on with yes and no. As I say I am a lazy modeller and I do what I want to do when I want to do it so if a project is not finished by the time I am then so what. :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tonight will be a packing up the carp that has built up while fixing the boxed locos.

Mrs M is out so I am play music without wearing headphones and doing the jobs she told me to do. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw Bauhaus live in Birmingham, sometime around October 1982...

they were sh1te and to this day it's the only gig I've ever been to where the punters ripped up the seats and lobbed them at the stage...

There a some bands that are better locked in the recording studio.

On the other hand there are bands that should only be recorded live as most producers muck up their sound in a studio.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh I found a class 47 chassis. It needs some work doing to it but I will get it working.

Now up and running.

Jobs still to do regarding the boxed locos.

1x NBL type 1, do I rebuild this broken loco? Bogies to the NBL type 2?

1x EE type 3, file off detail of Tri-ang bogie and make and fit an EE style bogie side frame.

1x NBL type 2 (hydraulic) work out a way of isolating the two bogies from each other.

1x NBL type 2 (electric) find a set of bogies.

1x Brush type 4, rebuild the discovered chassis.

1x Brush type 4, MTK, sort out why it is taking so much power.

4 or 5x EE type 4s, rebuild at least 3 ex Peak chassis.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, do you need an H15? :sarcastichand:

P

H15 :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:  What is one of them, ah I know a G*R catering coach. No thanks I have had me dinner, it was kind of you to offer. There isn't a yella fella rubbing his tummy. 

• RMweb Premium

Clive, do you need an H15? :sarcastichand:

P

Does anyone?  Now, an S15 lubbly jubbly

Enough of this Southern kettlely stuff, who has a B16/3 they would like to sell me, give me , make for me, throw at me.......?  Please. Well may be not too pleased if if is thrown at me and makes me go OUCH!!!

A B16/2 would do just as well. :sungum: :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Wishful thinking. The missing verse from "I Would Walk 500 Miles" has them walking John O'Groats to Lands End just to get out of the rain.

I know I am a block post behind on this but I was thinking a few moments ago of two trips to preserved railways I made a some years ago. The first was to the one at Aviemore and then a couple of months later to the one in Bodmin. I believe the Strathspey Railway is the most northerly and the Bodmin and Wenford is the most southerly persevered railways and the AA route planner says you need to walk 633.5 miles from one to t'other. Well let me tell you about my experiences on both train trips.

Scotland: Austerity tank, Mk1 coaches, couldn't see the scenery due to the trees and rain. :locomotive:

Cornwall: Austerity tank, Mk1 coaches, couldn't see the scenery due to the trees and rain. :locomotive:

Blow walking 633.5 miles again. :no:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Couldn't see anything for the rain - that'll help narrow down the time of year in Aviemore - it'll have been Spring, Summer, Autumn, or Winter!  Isn't the 'Keith & Dufftown' railway a bit further north than 'Strathspey'?

As for Austerity tanks and a raft of M1s - we've had exactly the same on most of out visits to Bo'ness, and the 'Lakeside & Haverthwaite'.

To get back to your handiwork, these scratchbuilt bodies on the early diesels are truly impressive.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know I am a block post behind on this but I was thinking a few moments ago of two trips to preserved railways I made a some years ago. The first was to the one at Aviemore and then a couple of months later to the one in Bodmin. I believe the Strathspey Railway is the most northerly and the Bodmin and Wenford is the most southerly persevered railways and the AA route planner says you need to walk 633.5 miles from one to t'other. Well let me tell you about my experiences on both train trips.

Scotland: Austerity tank, Mk1 coaches, couldn't see the scenery due to the trees and rain. :locomotive:

Cornwall: Austerity tank, Mk1 coaches, couldn't see the scenery due to the trees and rain. :locomotive:

Blow walking 633.5 miles again. :no:

Helston?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Couldn't see anything for the rain - that'll help narrow down the time of year in Aviemore - it'll have been Spring, Summer, Autumn, or Winter!  Isn't the 'Keith & Dufftown' railway a bit further north than 'Strathspey'?

As for Austerity tanks and a raft of M1s - we've had exactly the same on most of out visits to Bo'ness, and the 'Lakeside & Haverthwaite'.

To get back to your handiwork, these scratchbuilt bodies on the early diesels are truly impressive.

Regards,

Alex.

Helston?

Hi Alex and Upside Down John

They could be the furthest apart, do they have Mk1 coaches and Austerity tanks? I understand that both locations can have a spot or two of rain frequently. I am sorting out my tickets as I type.  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alex and Upside Down John

They could be the furthest apart, do they have Mk1 coaches and Austerity tanks? I understand that both locations can have a spot or two of rain frequently. I am sorting out my tickets as I type.  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Not Helston:

https://www.helstonrailway.co.uk/about/rolling-stock/