Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

On a serious note, do contact ops at Conningsby as they will have a person for dealing with such issues. Whilst some complaints can be annoying* someone nearly being thrown from a horse is a serious one and would be looked into.

*one airfield I worked on, originally built in ww2 and in constant use ever since, had a new housing estate built in the local village right next to it. Complaints from the new residents in brand new houses about aircraft noise from a much much older airfield they should have been aware of when they bought said house can get annoying...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

On a serious note, do contact ops at Conningsby as they will have a person for dealing with such issues. Whilst some complaints can be annoying* someone nearly being thrown from a horse is a serious one and would be looked into.

*one airfield I worked on, originally built in ww2 and in constant use ever since, had a new housing estate built in the local village right next to it. Complaints from the new residents in brand new houses about aircraft noise from a much much older airfield they should have been aware of when they bought said house can get annoying...

Hi Matt

The first thing I done when we got sorted was to google complaints about low flying jets and there is a separate number if you have concerns regarding horses. Mrs M rang them. So things are in the system. 

It must have been low because there were marks in the paddock where the other two were running about. They normally don't take notice of the dog fights going on over head. Seeing two Typhoons approaching each other  at a lot faster speed than the Red Arrows do and not much higher is quite impressive to watch, but not that impressive for the horses to have a look.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Enough about fast birds and back to action in the train room ....................well lack of it. I haven't done any modelling so far this week and it is Friday. I have run trains on Monday and Tuesday I have fixed the naughty class 25, is that modelling? Wednesday I fell asleep after tea.  Last night I helped with wiring up a baseboard at the Lincoln club. No idea of what I am going to do tonight. perhaps I should

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, StephenB said:

My late parents used to live at Greetham, one village away from RAF Cottesmore. One of their neighbours was selling their house and the base commander obliged by limiting flying hours for a short while. They weren’t bigwigs, just ordinary people trying to get in with their lives.

Stephens

Some friends of ours once rented a house about 100m off the end of Cottesmore runway, back when the TTTE were based there.

We stayed over after a gig at Rock City (probably that crusty band from Brighton). 07:00 sharp on the Sunday morning, we were woken by a VERY loud noise (ROOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRWWWWWHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!) as the first Tonka of the day went over the house at a hundred metres or so. Followed every 15 minutes by the next.

I did clear a lot of my required Tonkas for sight that morning :)

I believe their rent was very, very low!

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, CloggyDog said:

Some friends of ours once rented a house about 100m off the end of Cottesmore runway, back when the TTTE were based there.

We stayed over after a gig at Rock City (probably that crusty band from Brighton). 07:00 sharp on the Sunday morning, we were woken by a VERY loud noise (ROOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRWWWWWHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!) as the first Tonka of the day went over the house at a hundred metres or so. Followed every 15 minutes by the next.

I did clear a lot of my required Tonkas for sight that morning :)

I believe their rent was very, very low!

1980s Gibraltar - 0800 wake-up call at Shepherd's Marina from the first flight of Jaguars taking off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am running trains tonight. I was wondering why a BRCW 3 car class 104 wasn't running as fast as normal. I was about to top it and find out why. The pillock driving hadn't opened out the throttle. :banghead:

I had a derailment tonight, why do trains derail on the Manchester sidings when there is another one on the adjacent line causing a massive pile up.  The only derailment so far,  a MTK  2 car class 114 and a Hornby (conversion)  class 114 forming the Clethorpes to Sheffield lunch time train jumped the track with a Hornby class 24 (conversion) heading the Halifax DMU replacement ripping into it. BANG!!!!!     :fie:

I have also had to do minor surgery on Dore Bridge, with the damp weather it has grown longer so it needed a little bit taken off of it. Wood it is a natural material I keep having to remind myself. :ireful:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am running trains tonight. I was wondering why a BRCW 3 car class 104 wasn't running as fast as normal. I was about to top it and find out why. The pillock driving hadn't opened out the throttle. :banghead:

I had a derailment tonight, why do trains derail on the Manchester sidings when there is another one on the adjacent line causing a massive pile up.  The only derailment so far,  a MTK  2 car class 114 and a Hornby (conversion)  class 114 forming the Clethorpes to Sheffield lunch time train jumped the track with a Hornby class 24 (conversion) heading the Halifax DMU replacement ripping into it. BANG!!!!!     :fie:

I have also had to do minor surgery on Dore Bridge, with the damp weather it has grown longer so it needed a little bit taken off of it. Wood it is a natural material I keep having to remind myself. :ireful:

Saw your mate, Dave T today at the Fareham Show, his O Gauge DCC Layout was working well, and he sends his regards.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I should type "The only derailment so far." The Doncaster to Sheffield Exchange also came off, just past the Manchester Junction ploughing into the Dewsbury to Sheffield via Barnsely, one of the few loco hauled trains still in service. The problem was the super detail of the Heljan Parcels DMU buffer beam pushing the hook of the 2 car BRCW 104 ( the other one was the 3 car) causing the bogie to derail. problem solved, I took off the pipes both ends and put a coupling on the other end so the Parcels can be coupled either way thus casing me less headaches when it comes into the station where I have plan what it's next move will be as it only had a coupling one end.  Sometimes I wonder about super detailing when trying to operate a big train set on your own. Surely operational needs must come first.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I had an operating session, while the trains were zooming, meandering, trotting,  shuffling etc around the room I was doing little bits here and there. I have spaced the sleepers out on the coal hoist tub tramway so it looks narra gauge not N. The hard standing and canopy for the diesel fuel point has been reinstated in its new location. I thought I would add things like the lights and the headcode box to the front of  my conversion of a 110 center car to a 104 driving composite, I ended up modifying the windscreens they were too low, filling a big hole in the roof where I made the end dome the correct shape  as well as adding the bits I planned to do. Fairly productive in the end.

And I done some wheel cleaning.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 04/10/2019 at 09:18, StephenB said:

My late parents used to live at Greetham, one village away from RAF Cottesmore. One of their neighbours was selling their house and the base commander obliged by limiting flying hours for a short while. They weren’t bigwigs, just ordinary people trying to get in with their lives.

Stephens

I was in the show house on the estate where I now live back in 1992. A family was asking about "the railway"  adjoining the estate. The sales agent (a very nice lady from New Zealand) told them "It's no bother, just a local line with occasional trains in the daytime". I said nothing and smiled. That local line is the WCML London - Glasgow line with trains 24/7 I later told her - "but that does not bother me in the slightest as I'm a rail fan". We looked at the site plan - a couple of houses closest the line (60 yards away) were still available but I chose one a bit further up the street - why ? - well it had a large back garden just right for my future model railway shed !!

Brit15

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

On 04/10/2019 at 13:37, St Enodoc said:

1980s Gibraltar - 0800 wake-up call at Shepherd's Marina from the first flight of Jaguars taking off.

Probably better than 1940’s Gibraltar wake up call with the first flight Stukas and Heinkels coming in ! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you all seen Hattons are doing some generic 4 and 6 wheeler coaches, much excitement on that thread. Well they are doing some as departmental coaches, just they are not doing one in the most common livery. Well I suppose us who can do things ourselves can always 

Well any excuse to play the Mo Dettes....I still have the 7 inch record.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hattons are doing some generic 4 and 6 wheeler coaches, much excitement on that thread.

Maybe this is the appropriate song for that thread?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

A quick update on the D1755 BCK.

Test fit of the compartment side. The toilet window is about 1mm too close to the brake doors and should have 2 equal panels on each side according to David Jenkinson's book. Not sure if I can be bothered with all of the cuts to put it right.

PA080026.JPG.04ccf73db015493b8706393162cdd9e3.JPGPA080025.JPG.5364c7a0bf9a65ec3a89e97cb0c9b31c.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I'm still off work, but don't feel well enough to trudge down to the bottom of the garden in the p155ing rain to the train shed.  

Good news about the generic coaches.  all we need now are some generic short clerestory bogie coaches.

Get well soon Doc, cheer yourself up with a bit of

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

A quick update on the D1755 BCK.

Test fit of the compartment side. The toilet window is about 1mm too close to the brake doors and should have 2 equal panels on each side according to David Jenkinson's book. Not sure if I can be bothered with all of the cuts to put it right.

PA080026.JPG.04ccf73db015493b8706393162cdd9e3.JPGPA080025.JPG.5364c7a0bf9a65ec3a89e97cb0c9b31c.JPG

The old saying that if it looks right it must be right doesn’t apply every time but that looks like a super piece of modelling to me and I can’t wait to see the finished article . It’s going to look right and I don’t think anyone’s going to notice 1mm alleged inaccuracy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

The old saying that if it looks right it must be right doesn’t apply every time but that looks like a super piece of modelling to me and I can’t wait to see the finished article . It’s going to look right and I don’t think anyone’s going to notice 1mm alleged inaccuracy.

I've not been able to find  picture of the compartment side, only the drawing in the Jenkinson book, but some of those don't seem to quite add up, including one bit on the BTK which was followed by Mainline, Replica and Bachmann. Jenkinson included the only picture he could find of the corridor side but that doesn't seem to match the plan drawing next to it. I'm working to the picture and that seems to fit better with what I would expect.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I've not been able to find  picture of the compartment side, only the drawing in the Jenkinson book, but some of those don't seem to quite add up, including one bit on the BTK which was followed by Mainline, Replica and Bachmann. Jenkinson included the only picture he could find of the corridor side but that doesn't seem to match the plan drawing next to it. I'm working to the picture and that seems to fit better with what I would expect.

There is an old W.C. Fields joke that goes “Last night I read a book on the dangers of drinking. It scared me so much I have decided to give up reading ! “

In similar vein sometimes, it is better to not get too hung up on books.  Personally , as I think I’ve said before, the value to me and I think many others of threads like this is that they inspire mediocre modellers (me) to raise our horizons to be more ambitious in what can be attempted, rather than being too critical about a millimetre here or there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2