Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

6 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

A quick update on the D1755 BCK.

Test fit of the compartment side. The toilet window is about 1mm too close to the brake doors and should have 2 equal panels on each side according to David Jenkinson's book. Not sure if I can be bothered with all of the cuts to put it right.

PA080026.JPG.04ccf73db015493b8706393162cdd9e3.JPGPA080025.JPG.5364c7a0bf9a65ec3a89e97cb0c9b31c.JPG

Hi There,

If you hadn't told us we wouldn't have noticed !!!!!

Are there such people as Panel Beading Counters as there are Rivit Counters I wonder ?

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

It always amuses me that for rtr stuff people get so hung up about the minutest of detail, but overlook the narrowness of the gauge and all the compromises that forces.

Painted up & whizzing round, no-one will notice a missing mm.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

8 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Nurse only has a plastic spoon, but I'm ok with that...

NigellaLawsontheta_2459812b.jpg.0528c0a759c713bdda5e445ef7916ece.jpg

Surely that should be a silver spoon?

If ever there was a picture ripe for a risque photoshop, it is this.

That said her hand looks like it has been added after the event, the mind boggles what might have been there before.

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I popped a couple of noogies over in the 4 and 6 wheel thread, and will now depart from said thread for the remainder of time.

My dear Fritters,

Did you drop your noogies in this fashion ?

Troll, troll, troll your quote gently down the page,

Ignorance, arrogance,

Ignorance, arrogance,

Always ends in RAGE !!!!

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Just read some of the posts on the Hattons Generic 4-wheeler thread

I avoid such threads for fear my brain might start to bleed at the insanity of it all.

I may check it out for research and reference purposes though.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Agree 1

It's an interesting thread. Standard negative comments as expected by any announcement these days, but overall a largely positive response, and Hattons do seem to be reacting to the creative assistance being provided and altering the cads accordingly. I think I'd enjoy winding Clive up with a rake of these snaking across the throat of Sheffield more than anything in NSE ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

no-one will notice a missing mm.

I know where it was lost Stu. 

If you start at the right hand end of the coach the first compartment window is 1mm too narrow. This must have come about by Mainline following the drawing in the Historic Carriage Drawings book, The drawing in the Jenkinson and Essery  Pictorial History  is correct but the other is wrong. Mainline followed this and it was carried on by Replica and Bachmann.

Eric

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Anyhow the Jazz Service was out towards Chingford, and Enfield. Not Canning Town that is on the Woolwich line.

I thought about that. Notwithstanding the fact that there are no coloured strips of the doors that for some reason gave it the jazz nickname, where was it coming from in order to terminate at Canning Town ? It wouldn’t have started from  Woolwich only three miles away, so it presumably is on the Down line from Stratford, but surely it wouldn’t have started from Stratford only two miles away . So where did it come from ? I am not sure if it could have got to Canning Town From Liverpool St  without a massive detour so that probably leaves two possibilities.

One possibility ( perhaps the most likely one ) is that it came from Palace Gates, as there were through trains from Palace Gates to the North Woolwich branch until P.G. was closed more or less at the end of steam. That’s not a jazz train though.

The other possibility that might just qualify it as a Jazz service is that it did indeed originate at Chingford, and picked up the Woolwich branch at , I think Silver Street. In later (post war ) years there was a morning and evening through service from Hertford East to North Woolwich so I guess it’s possible that at the turn of the last century with smaller engines ( with smaller tanks ) it could have run from Chingford or Enfield to Canning Town so by this convoluted reasoning I would suggest to the Rules Committee it could loosely qualify as a jazz service.  How about that ?;)

I still can’t work at why it would have been terminating at Canning Town though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jazzer said:

I thought about that. Notwithstanding the fact that there are no coloured strips of the doors that for some reason gave it the jazz nickname, where was it coming from in order to terminate at Canning Town ? It wouldn’t have started from  Woolwich only three miles away, so it presumably is on the Down line from Stratford, but surely it wouldn’t have started from Stratford only two miles away . So where did it come from ? I am not sure if it could have got to Canning Town From Liverpool St  without a massive detour so that probably leaves two possibilities.

One possibility ( perhaps the most likely one ) is that it came from Palace Gates, as there were through trains from Palace Gates to the North Woolwich branch until P.G. was closed more or less at the end of steam. That’s not a jazz train though.

The other possibility that might just qualify it as a Jazz service is that it did indeed originate at Chingford, and picked up the Woolwich branch at , I think Silver Street. In later (post war ) years there was a morning and evening through service from Hertford East to North Woolwich so I guess it’s possible that at the turn of the last century with smaller engines ( with smaller tanks ) it could have run from Chingford or Enfield to Canning Town so by this convoluted reasoning I would suggest to the Rules Committee it could loosely qualify as a jazz service.  How about that ?;)

I still can’t work at why it would have been terminating at Canning Town though.

Hi Jazzer

Neither can I. Mind you when we done a blood donor session in Canning Town there was a nice cafe there, well nice grub, so may be there was a train load of people wanting to go to the cafe. :dontknow:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
missing to
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Not up to too much. Operated the train set yesterday, nothing special.

There was a thread about converting Lima class 117 Driving Motor Brake Second into a Driving Motor Second. I have two class 118s with two DMBSs each so this afternoon i now have two DMSs. I am converting one into a class 116, in this mornings research I discovered that only ones with 2 digit route indicators were transferred to the ER. I could make into one with four lights for its headcode display and keep it as a WR or LMR unit. Not decided on the final outcome yet. I am however making a Trailer Composite, all parts cut they just need to be made to size. I could change my mind and have it as a class 117 as I still have an untouched extra center car.

The other unit will become a class 118. I will enlarge the heacode box and remove the gangway connectors. The Lima model has lower marker/tail lamps, class 117s did not have these until they were refurbished. All but the first few of the 118s had them from new. This will have to stay as a WR unit.

Something a wee bit more bluesie for Mr P.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Not up to too much. Operated the train set yesterday, nothing special.

There was a thread about converting Lima class 117 Driving Motor Brake Second into a Driving Motor Second. I have two class 118s with two DMBSs each so this afternoon i now have two DMSs. I am converting one into a class 116, in this mornings research I discovered that only ones with 2 digit route indicators were transferred to the ER. I could make into one with four lights for its headcode display and keep it as a WR or LMR unit. Not decided on the final outcome yet. I am however making a Trailer Composite, all parts cut they just need to be made to size. I could change my mind and have it as a class 117 as I still have an untouched extra center car.

The other unit will become a class 118. I will enlarge the heacode box and remove the gangway connectors. The Lima model has lower marker/tail lamps, class 117s did not have these until they were refurbished. All but the first few of the 118s had them from new. This will have to stay as a WR unit.

Something a wee bit more bluesie for Mr P.

Hi Clive,

If that is for Tall Paul I have offered him some bodies for him to chop about, I have four in total so if he is good with the saw and glue he is onto a winner and if not he has plenty to go at. Can't loose at that !

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, richard i said:

Such detail. Beyond me to notice it on DMUs but I know why it is important, got to have it right or it will bug you. 

Richard

It is a bit like running generic 4 and 6 wheelers on a pre-group layout, something many will do but not those in the know. :good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It is a bit like running generic 4 and 6 wheelers on a pre-group layout, something many will do but not those in the know. :good:

Hi Clive,

I've just been looking at that thread, All I could think of was LMS 6 wheel sausage vans, I'm having sausages for tea although I shall be in the kitchen and not in a van.

The other use would be crane jib runner as quite a few cranes had six wheeled ones of those too.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

If that is for Tall Paul I have offered him some bodies for him to chop about, I have four in total so if he is good with the saw and glue he is onto a winner and if not he has plenty to go at. Can't loose at that !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

It was his post that prompted me get me ar$e in gear. I would have offered but, one I do not do commissions only make for mates and, two the abuse I got from the DCC experts when he asked about was it worth going DCC and not staying with DC.  I am still trying to drive the track but all I get is the trains moving, don't know what I am doing wrong.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I've just been looking at that thread, All I could think of was LMS 6 wheel sausage vans, I'm having sausages for tea although I shall be in the kitchen and not in a van.

The other use would be crane jib runner as quite a few cranes had six wheeled ones of those too.

Gibbo.

I cooked sausages, mash and beans last night. It was chips and burgers tonight.

Anyhow you are clever enough to make your own 6 wheeled chassis.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1