Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Probably the Lightning (the proper EE one) given its airshow finale party trick of standing on its tail and disappearing in a blast of sound. That is an experience that I haven’t forgotten in the 50+ years since I last saw it!

Tim T

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, timbowilts said:

Probably the Lightning (the proper EE one) given its airshow finale party trick of standing on its tail and disappearing in a blast of sound. That is an experience that I haven’t forgotten in the 50+ years since I last saw it!

Tim T

Saw this happen at RAF Valley over 30 years ago, agree, it's an awesome sight. Clear, blue, cloudless sky, and it disappeared going vertically upwards.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, timbowilts said:

Tim T

Last day of the Lightnings.

RAF Binbrook.

Awesome.

From someone who's not overly fussed about planes!

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When I want to grow a beard I do, when I want to save it off I do.

Thanks to a change of rules at work, I have a 1 month beard going on at the moment for the first time in 20 years. The wife doesn't like it. Will probably get shaved off this week (but not because of her opinion of it), but at least I know I can dominate a good beard if I feel like it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Thanks to a change of rules at work, I have a 1 month beard going on at the moment for the first time in 20 years. The wife doesn't like it. Will probably get shaved off this week (but not because of her opinion of it), but at least I know I can dominate a good beard if I feel like it.

I saw that the RAF can start to look like skates, I mean matelots.

I grew a beard when I was in the army, excused shaving because of a infected rash. It was great waving the slip the MO gave me under the noses of all the sergeants and sergeant-majors when they started to have a go at me. :rtfm:

Queen regs use to still contain a section about being clean shaven, there was a list of those who were allowed to grow beards, pioneer sergeants in the infantry, for medical reasons, some operational reasons and veterans of the Crimean War. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

29 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I saw that the RAF can start to look like skates, I mean matelots.

I grew a beard when I was in the army, excused shaving because of a infected rash. It was great waving the slip the MO gave me under the noses of all the sergeants and sergeant-majors when they started to have a go at me. :rtfm:

Queen regs use to still contain a section about being clean shaven, there was a list of those who were allowed to grow beards, pioneer sergeants in the infantry, for medical reasons, some operational reasons and veterans of the Crimean War. 

eyyrlvx05ag31.jpg.2551cbeca601404727efb967d84f1589.jpg

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Enough of beards, jet fighters and me on a lilo heading for Holland and back to boring trains. Here are some photos of the six wheeled chassis I made for a BGZ I am making from left over bits from making second class non-gangway coaches from Airfix BS(L)s.

100_5883a.jpg.1a0654f3202539a755f52b3d14e49c81.jpg

The basic chassis. I will add springs, axle boxes etc in the future. It has Airfix wheels at the moment , lack of metal ones and as it is an experiment getting rolling was the important part.

100_5885a.jpg.4711137f56b40dd784156fa01182a467.jpg

It hasn't died, this is to show the underside, especially the little box holding the middle wheels. The axle is 2mm diameter, the box has a slightly wider gap so the wheels can not only go sideways but up and down a little to take into account any poor track.

100_5882a.jpg.768321c53f2b1c9f25a81993fa0af4f0.jpg

The BGZ or Stove R.

Now I said I would make the springs and axle boxes. I did so for my crane runner. 

100_5887a.jpg.79824fea8a67404af6f774d843438e6f.jpg

The crane runner is a fixed 6 wheel chassis, it will go through Peco medium point but not the double slip. It is a longer wheelbase, so would the Stove R chassis have gone through a slip without a wobbly middle axle?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, richard i said:

Great. Some real modeling. Will watch chassis construction with interest.

It isn't real modelling, I haven't fitted lights, a decoder and NEM sockets for my Kadees...........I have read that is what you need to do in the modelling magazines.

There is a chap asking questions about converting a Bachy coach from one type to another, he said he has watch the Youtube videos on how to do it. I haven't found them yet, but I have found loads of videos telling me how to unbox a Bachy coach.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It isn't real modelling, I haven't fitted lights, a decoder and NEM sockets for my Kadees...........I have read that is what you need to do in the modelling magazines.

There is a chap asking questions about converting a Bachy coach from one type to another, he said he has watch the Youtube videos on how to do it. I haven't found them yet, but I have found loads of videos telling me how to unbox a Bachy coach.

Great idea. If you learn how to unbox them, you won’t need to go to the bother of making your own. Pity these videos weren’t around in John Aherns day. :huh:

• Funny 7

57 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Clive,

You could your send finished model to one of your following, and then whoever receives it could take it out of the box and ether coo over it because it is absolutely superb in every detail or slag it off because it is minor fraction of a gnat's chuff incorrect.

I'd gladly do the video but I'm not sure I qualify because I haven't lived at home with mummy for almost thirty years !

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

You could your send finished model to one of your following, and then whoever receives it could take it out of the box and ether coo over it because it is absolutely superb in every detail or slag it off because it is minor fraction of a gnat's chuff incorrect.

I'd gladly do the video but I'm not sure I qualify because I haven't lived at home with mummy for almost thirty years !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Those unboxing videos are quite good. They remind me to be careful with the accessory bag. Normally as I prize open the clear plastic inner packing the little packet flies off on to the floor. Wondering what I have done and what has fallen off I follow were it is going. Doing so I lose concentration and seconds later a big thing looking like a toy loco or carriage joins the poly parcel on the floor. Too embarrassed to take it back to the shop I have to fix my new and damage possession. :cry:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Whilst working at a local Model Shop a customer purchased and New Ltd Ed Class 47. He returned to the shop a few hours later and asked if I could repair it for him.

On opening the box, I could not believe what he was asking me to do.

Motor Bogie in two parts and separated from the rest of the Model.

Front Buffer Beam smashed and no Buffers at one end and a bent and broken one at the other end.

Glazing cracked and fallen in.

Fuel Tanks smashed.

And much more.

Apparently he was running it in, on his Loft Layout and it came off the Tracks at high speed, disappeared down through the Loft hole, hit the ladder a couple of times, and then finally landed on the Wood Laminate floor.

I jokingly suggested he sent it back to the Manufactures with a letter explaining what had happened and the receipt, which he did.

Two weeks later, he received a BRAND NEW Loco with a note saying please try not to do that again.

Great Customer Service.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9
  • Funny 2