Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

The LNER coach roofs were not a single radius when viewed from the end, both straight end and dome ended coaches. There is a transitional curve from the side to the main roof curvature. It is trying to get that shape right, even the likes of Bachmann haven't always done so. Now if I were skilled enough with wood I would make myself some formers for the different coach roof profiles...............and get told off by Mrs M for leaving a hot pan full of water on her cooker top.

001b.jpg.b9779b80cd1b7b6148730776301d9e9c.jpg

Hi Clive

Ah now I understand.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The last two nights I haven't done anything in the toy room. Thursday night saw me busy at the Lincoln club wiring up point motors. Last night was a sod it night and I sat reading, listening to music and viewing stuff on the interwebthingy. 

Tonight I hope to make a chassis for a LMS Stove R. But would you Adam and Eve it I don't have a drawing of one. I have the LMS diagrams which are great for the body but no under frame. I do have drawings of the similar chassis six wheeled fish vans and the sausage and milk vans so I should be able to make a basic working chassis tonight.  Dogs to walk and then to the train room.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The last two nights I haven't done anything in the toy room. Thursday night saw me busy at the Lincoln club wiring up point motors. Last night was a sod it night and I sat reading, listening to music and viewing stuff on the interwebthingy. 

Tonight I hope to make a chassis for a LMS Stove R. But would you Adam and Eve it I don't have a drawing of one. I have the LMS diagrams which are great for the body but no under frame. I do have drawings of the similar chassis six wheeled fish vans and the sausage and milk vans so I should be able to make a basic working chassis tonight.  Dogs to walk and then to the train room.

I hope your Dogs have Tail Lights mate.:good::D

• Funny 1

35 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

If the weather in Lincolnshire is anything like it is here in Swansea (we’re overnighting at our son’s house) then they will need water wings and divers weights :laugh:

Tim T

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, timbowilts said:

If the weather in Lincolnshire is anything like it is here in Swansea (we’re overnighting at our son’s house) then they will need water wings and divers weights :laugh:

Tim T

Hi Tim 

We live on the north east Lincolnshire marshes, we are ready. The Environment Agency say we are in a high risk flood area. The locals say last time it flooded was 1953. Well having lived in Essex and worked with people from Canvey Island  they still talked about the flood of 1953 so does that make all of the East Coast  high flood risk?

The village we lived in Essex use to flood every other year and we were not in a high risk flood area.  Our land is boarded by three dykes which at the moment are very low, one is almost dry. 

Saying that earlier this year we did have about 6 inches of lying water in the paddocks, I was working on them and it was like being in a paddy field. 

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

No need young Andrew, no traffic goes down the lane I walk them. When we lived in Essex the three dogs we had then had flashing collars. I use to set them flashing at different speeds That use to slow the cars down as they didn't know what was in front of them. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Quite cuffed with myself. I have a LMS BGZ aka Stove R that rolls along and goes through the points etc.  without falling off. I have a slight adjustment to make. When I was bunging all together I realised that I hadn't cut some recesses in the false floor for the wheel flanges. Took it all apart and cut them out. Excellent except for the middle, sliding wheel set. The flanges as it slides across when the van is negotiating a double slip are catching the inside of the recess and acting like a brake. It is not being derailed  so a little cut to widen the recess should cure the problem.

Looking how other folk have got six wheeled full brakes working I think my simple system works quite well. Photos tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Earlier today I was cutting down the shrubs along the front of the bungalow and I looked into the model room through the window which has Windie Viaduct across it. I was looking straight down the station but further back than normal and it looked good. So the plan is to open a window wide and take a photo or two from outside.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Earlier today I was cutting down the shrubs along the front of the bungalow and I looked into the model room through the window which has Windie Viaduct across it. I was looking straight down the station but further back than normal and it looked good. So the plan is to open a window wide and take a photo or two from outside.

Wait till the rain stops...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I have popped into the train set room and taken a wee bit off the chassis to allow the middle wheels to side a tad more. Wonderful it goes through Peco double slips in all directions without a problem.

Because the middle axle can slide from side to side I need to make sure it is on the track properly as I place it on the rails cos otherwise it falls off when it wallops a point. Four more to build, as I have three MTK BGZ bodies and a MTK LNER Thomo BZ

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Don't horses work in the rain?  I thought they were All-Weather capable, like the Gloster Javelin.

Yes but no but yes but no but they do if they have to but Mrs M doesn't work very well in the rain.

Wasn't the Javelin a 'orrid looking plane compared to the Hawker Hunter.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Instead of discussing my six wheeled chassis you lot have got me on a purple lilo, on me belly , in me speedos, drifting out to sea half way to Holland. :crazy:

But where are the piccys of said six-wheel chassis wot you promised, Clive?

Tim T

All packed up ready to move to the land of fanatical rugby supporters

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Aye, the Flying Flat Iron was a brute of an aircraft.  I vaguely recall seeing one fly at an airshow back in the day at Staverton, or possibly Little Rissington.

I can't remember if it was the Javelin or the Lightning an old colleague, who'd worked at RAF Leuchars, described how they used to deal with Russian "fishing boats" (the ones with suspicious numbers of aerials).  It involved flying straight at them at wave-top height, then pulling up just in time at full throttle; the shock wave would knock the boats all over the place and probably/hopefully break all manner of equipment onboard.  If the Russians ever complained, the RAF could always respond with, "So sorry, the pilot said he didn't see him until the last second"......

• Like 2