Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2020 at 20:42, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Awaiting transfers, which I haven't purchased yet.

2014433659_DSCF10201.JPG.34d7659c154d8a1e085dafd567194f22.JPG

Gibbo.

I keep running out of HMRS Bs

Well with B430 B435 B465 B577 B811 B821 not surprising, one has modiifed Ps

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Afternoon Clive,

It used to be said that one big plus of kit built steam locos was that the motion of the valve gear was more realistic than on RTR locos?

This , of course, presupposes one has the skill to get all the bits of the valve gear in the right place and to move in the right direction at the right time!

I am afraid the results of my valve gear building always subscribed to the Eric Morcombe philosophy, so were always inferior to the RTR versions!!

From that point of view diesels are much easier.

Picking up on your earlier post on the music front, with Milllie Small's passing we loose another artist whose cheerful music just entertained us. You didn't need to analyse the story behind such songs, you just went with the flow.

We could do with some new singers to entertain us in the current gloom.

Right, I'll put away my soap box and get on with some modelling, there is a parcels train needs Kadee couplings and weathering.

Take care, be safe

Best regards

Paul 

Use Swindon built steam.

Mine are, except the Bachmann 4MT with outside gear.

I can have lots of steam locos in 1985. Provided they are Swindon built.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am hiding in the train room and running some trains. Something I have noticed with my locos and many other peoples locos is the twirly bits on the outside don't work proper like. 

I believe it is called valve gear and the smaller cylinder on top of the big one is the valve. Well surely the radius arm and the valve spindle should be going in and out to work the valve? On most models they are as stationary as lazy Joe on Andrew P's Seven Mills Layout. 

Not a problem with ex.GC steam either, so your Directors, J11's and 04's are just fine.

Perhaps you need a single to Drapers of Hull for your other kettles, hauled by your SLW 24 perhaps?

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

It does rather depend upon what cut off the locomotive's engines are being worked and equally important which direction the locomotive is travelling.

Gibbo.

It looks wrong, the bit that enables the steam to push the cylinder backwards or the other way sitting still when the loco is whizzing around or even just tootling along looks all wrong.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Not a problem with ex.GC steam either, so your Directors, J11's and 04's are just fine.

Perhaps you need a single to Drapers of Hull for your other kettles, hauled by your SLW 24 perhaps?

John.

Hi John

No GcR steam at Sheff Ex, they were found at the junior of the three main stations.

Now if I were to model the main station in its glory days there would only be one class of locos which had outside cylinders  and they were called Compounds.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

No GcR steam at Sheff Ex, they were found at the junior of the three main stations.

Now if I were to model the main station in its glory days there would only be one class of locos which were called Compounds.

Junior station! Wash your mouth out with soap and water. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Just watched the video Clive. Even my wife smiled at 1:00 when the playing card blew away.

Great stuff; stay safe.

I didn't know it had until Bobbie played back the video. :o

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Clive, your valve gear conundrum; its called compromise.

Many years ago Hornby-Dublo made valve gear where the valve spindle and adjacent rods moved but the movement was quite slight. They didn't make it move into reverse to change the direction of the loco however.

On most, maybe all RTR models the return crank on one side is on the wrong side of the driving wheel centre, most of us turn a blind eye to it.

Like you, I'm aware of the shortcomings along with the 'H0' track laid to 3' minimum radius - about 3.5 chains in full size. The Braintree branch curve out of Witham is 10 chains I believe, as is the curve at Mangapps Railway, these are both checkrailed. In 4mm, 10 chains is approximately 8', far greater than many of us have room for.

I generally now build variations of stock not available RTR or kits. The kits are usually quicker than cut and shuts except some LMS coaches where Comet sides on Airfix stock is rapid and as a bonus gives more accurate roofs.

This gives greater visual satisfaction but can be more of a challenge to research. 

Hope you are keeping well in these times of social isolation. 

Jim

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Clive,

you could always start Cutting and Shutting Valve Gear instead of coaches and DMU’s?????

Paul

Hi Paul

I am not daft enough to do that................second thoughts. Hummmmm.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Clive,

you could always start Cutting and Shutting Valve Gear instead of coaches and DMU’s?????

Paul

At least it would all be the same colour... :jester:

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

I am not daft enough to do that................second thoughts. Hummmmm.

Come on Clive, It'll only take you the morning to do it, then you can pull up ragwort this afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oh look a video on the Bluebell Railway

"My baby takes the morning train....".  He won't be taking it for much longer judging by the absence of other passengers. 

"My baby takes the rail replacement bus service...", wouldn't have had quite the same ring to it.  Silly girl cycling on the platform as well.

I jest, nice video.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I done some driving yesterday and ended up with the station being jam packed.

a648.jpg.44f845315a47197b4a3ef5f471d3acda.jpg

a649.jpg.7693adf8e516ba7494c512eb98c87ecd.jpg

a650.jpg.42ac416078949205bfeecad4f9c8902d.jpg

a652.jpg.dc42833d7ee2bbe1b879ffc6d508c282.jpg

a653.jpg.8488edf913af5355bccc73165568abe0.jpg

I got a new puter yesterday, it is a bit faster than the old one. No more getting a coffee while it swaps from one RM topic to the next.

• Like 17

Cracking pics mate, but your new Computer has a colour balance problem, the Engines have all come out as Black, when, as everybody knows, they should be BR BLUE with white arrows.:D:nono::hunter:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Cracking pics mate, but your new Computer has a colour balance problem, the Engines have all come out as Black, when, as everybody knows, they should be BR BLUE with white arrows.:D:nono::hunter:

Hi Andy,

Just like my freshly painted bug crates !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oh look a video on the Bluebell Railway

Ooh nice. Saw her in concert in Edinburgh in 1980. In those days it was a toss-up (oops, sorry) whether Miss Easton or Miss Grogan (C) would make the better Mrs St E.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Ooh nice. Saw her in concert in Edinburgh in 1980. In those days it was a toss-up (oops, sorry) whether Miss Easton or Miss Grogan (C) would make the better Mrs St E.

I was too busy watching the trains in the video.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I done some driving yesterday and ended up with the station being jam packed.

a648.jpg.44f845315a47197b4a3ef5f471d3acda.jpg

a649.jpg.7693adf8e516ba7494c512eb98c87ecd.jpg

a650.jpg.42ac416078949205bfeecad4f9c8902d.jpg

a652.jpg.dc42833d7ee2bbe1b879ffc6d508c282.jpg

a653.jpg.8488edf913af5355bccc73165568abe0.jpg

I got a new puter yesterday, it is a bit faster than the old one. No more getting a coffee while it swaps from one RM topic to the next.

Clive,

You’ve been really bitten by the Valve Gear bug!!!!!!  Not a DMU to be seen.

Paul

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Clive,

You’ve been really bitten by the Valve Gear bug!!!!!!  Not a DMU to be seen.

Paul

Hi Paul

The next operating season will see DMUs. and hauled trains with steam and diesel mix. When this lot returns to the fuddle yards there will be an all change.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

The next operating season will see DMUs. and hauled trains with steam and diesel mix. When this lot returns to the fuddle yards there will be an all change.

And which Season will that be young Clive, Autumn or Winter?

• Like 1