Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Every year I put this wagon on the wishlist.......I am getting very cross that Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan etc are not listening to me. I want one now and it must be able to go round radius 2 curves without taking out all my scenic items.

Hi Clive,

A couple of Triang Trestrols and some Peco LK10 bridge girders and you could cut and shut yourself daft with such a project.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

23 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Every year I put this wagon on the wishlist.......I am getting very cross that Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan etc are not listening to me. I want one now and it must be able to go round radius 2 curves without taking out all my scenic items.

It was announced by KRapolutionman Hobbies last week as a special edition then immediately Holjanido issued a CAD they had been working on of the very same model.

Seems there isn't the market for both models but oddly both manufacturers withdrew their model at the same time and now there is nothing in the pipeline unless JD offers it on crowd funding.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It was announced by KRapolutionman Hobbies last week as a special edition then immediately Holjanido issued a CAD they had been working on of the very same model.

Seems there isn't the market for both models but oddly both manufacturers withdrew their model at the same time and now there is nothing in the pipeline unless JD offers it on crowd funding.

Were there two of these wagons?  Whichever one got produced, there'll be outraged frothing they didn't produce the one with the other number. 

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Hell, we needed 2 different models. The second wagon had different rivets on the corner plates so it would be impossible to accurately model both from the same model. 

Why do they do this to us.

*huffs off to play with some 4'1" gauge toy trains.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

OK peeps,

I have a very old and knackered airbrush with a compressor that is very noisy and vibrates around the room chasing after me. I need to replace them, and I want a spray booth so I can paint indoors and in the winter in the warm.

My old airbrush is a Badger, I am considering another one as I get on with them. Any suggestions for a reasonable priced compressor and a spray booth. I have surfed the interwebthingy and confused myself. 

Not sure if anyone has answered your query?

A few years back I bought something called an AS186 compressor. Not sure who from, but like most things made in China. It came as a package with a pair of dual action airbrushes and was around £80 delivered to my door. It has a reserve tank which gives an even air flow and reduces the risk of condensation droplets when you spray. I've never used the two airbrushes, although there's nothing to suggest they aren't fine. I see Amazon now offer this package for £127, just did a check on Google. Still amazing value when I think that my Micron compressor bought circa 1982 was over £100 back then - I really had to think hard about such a big investment in my youth!

I use the kit with my ancient Badger 200 (circa.1981) which isn't knackered only because it has had one maybe two new needles and also new head assemblies. I've found the little white washer behind the head assembly is absolutely critical to success in spraying - if it's not giving an airtight seal the airbrush won't work, apparently if you haven't got a spare you can use plumbers PTFE tape instead. IIRC Expo can supply all of these spares, if not Expo then Squires.

I also have a Spray booth bought for around £80 a few years back from Expo. I've used it a time or two and keep meaning to have another go, but really don't like it. I can't see what I'm doing properly in the confined space (and my eyesight is pretty good for someone born in 1956), and far prefer to wait for a decent day and go outside to spray on a table in the garden. This is also far, far healthier.

John.

• Informative/Useful 3

Oh, and I meant to add in the last post, I also now own a Micron that makes a dreadful noise, vibrates a lot, and sounds as if it's about to blow up.

If anyone knows how to get inside this and make repairs, I'd be delighted to know.

Thanks,

John.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

Thanks. I have ordered one and a spray booth. I will try the brushes with the compressor. If I cannot get on with them I will buy some spares for the knackered Badger.

To many a Knackered Badger is a bus one on Adrian's (Hillside Depot) layouts. :tomato:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

A couple of Triang Trestrols and some Peco LK10 bridge girders and you could cut and shut yourself daft with such a project.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

I have looked at building it what puts me off is getting the four wheeled Flatrols to run properly.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

Thanks. I have ordered one and a spray booth. I will try the brushes with the compressor. If I cannot get on with them I will buy some spares for the knackered Badger.

To many a Knackered Badger is a bus one on Adrian's (Hillside Depot) layouts. :tomato:

I thought that I was the knackered badger!

Andi

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

OK Mr Simple here but I remain more confused than ever.

I cannot visit Granny.

I can meet her in a park but not with Granddad.

Granddad and Granny can go out and exercise together.

I can go and clean Granny's house, and boy does it need cleaning, as long as she pays me.

I can pretend to be interested in buying Granny's house (well not until someone has cleaned it) and have a look round.

I cannot visit Granny.

I can met her as long as we stay 2 meters apart. Mummy says 2 meters is about the same distance as Granddad laying on the floor dead. So as long as Granddad lays on the floor, dead, between me and Granny I can meet her in the park.

Hopefully soon I can visit Granny and go and play with Granddad's train set.....I also hope he isn't laying on the floor dead.

Stay alert for people meeting their granny's with a dead granddad between them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I can drive hundreds of miles to go trainspotting in a National Park, but not on my local station. I think........ Yours confused.

Should've stuck with the previous message they still use in Scotland, Wales and NI. I bet the "R" number will rise this week. Me? I'm back in school next week.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I am looking forward to the corridors. The advice says put a barrier down the middle of corridors. Firstly where are schools to get these temporary dividers from? Plus has no one in the government met teenagers? I give it 6 seconds before some think it is funny to push it across to hit into others going the other way. 
also social distancing is not needed in corridors because people are moving quickly. 
politicians and science have never been happy bedfellows.

richard 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I can drive hundreds of miles to go trainspotting in a National Park, but not on my local station. I think........ Yours confused.

Should've stuck with the previous message they still use in Scotland, Wales and NI. I bet the "R" number will rise this week. Me? I'm back in school next week.

Problem is no-one knows what is happening to the R number until 3 weeks have passed - its what we were doing 3 weeks ago that influences the number today.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I work in a primary school Richard, our main corridor is 1.4m wide. I measured it out of interest.....

Are your pupils grandfathers very short otherwise they cannot stay a dead grandfather laying on the floor distance from each other?

I am at a loss about schools going back, reception kids learn by being together even it is just copying what the clever kid does, you cannot do that if you cannot see what he/she is doing. Teenagers need to be able to work things out in groups, it helps with future life again when they are 2 meters apart from each other how can they.

Oh no I have now got a vision of a corridor full of dead granddads.

43 minutes ago, richard i said:

I am looking forward to the corridors. The advice says put a barrier down the middle of corridors. Firstly where are schools to get these temporary dividers from? Plus has no one in the government met teenagers? I give it 6 seconds before some think it is funny to push it across to hit into others going the other way. 
also social distancing is not needed in corridors because people are moving quickly. 
politicians and science have never been happy bedfellows.

richard 

They wouldn't dare if you are on corridor duty.

My mate Richard taught my kids and a lot of my friends' kids. One day I asked a friend's daughter did she know my mate Mr Irven, with a face of horror she said "He is the strictest teacher in the school". :scared:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

OK Mr Simple here but I remain more confused than ever.

I cannot visit Granny.

I can meet her in a park but not with Granddad.

Granddad and Granny can go out and exercise together.

I can go and clean Granny's house, and boy does it need cleaning, as long as she pays me.

I can pretend to be interested in buying Granny's house (well not until someone has cleaned it) and have a look round.

I cannot visit Granny.

I can met her as long as we stay 2 meters apart. Mummy says 2 meters is about the same distance as Granddad laying on the floor dead. So as long as Granddad lays on the floor, dead, between me and Granny I can meet her in the park.

Hopefully soon I can visit Granny and go and play with Granddad's train set.....I also hope he isn't laying on the floor dead.

Stay alert for people meeting their granny's with a dead granddad between them.

Sadly I think you've hit the nail on the head, as has Peter with trainspotting trips to National Parks.

How anyone is supposed to enforce this is utterly beyond me, and I wish those whose job it is a lot of luck!

John.

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Are your pupils grandfathers very short otherwise they cannot stay a dead grandfather laying on the floor distance from each other?

I am at a loss about schools going back, reception kids learn by being together even it is just copying what the clever kid does, you cannot do that if you cannot see what he/she is doing. Teenagers need to be able to work things out in groups, it helps with future life again when they are 2 meters apart from each other how can they.

Oh no I have now got a vision of a corridor full of dead granddads.

They wouldn't dare if you are on corridor duty.

My mate Richard taught my kids and a lot of my friends' kids. One day I asked a friend's daughter did she know my mate Mr Irven, with a face of horror she said "He is the strictest teacher in the school". :scared:

This makes me out as a grumpy git.....oh wait. 

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi folks,

Having read the subject matter of the above posts I'm surprised that it has it taken nearly two months to work out such nonsense as the government guidelines seem to provide, and also that most of the government advice is not only contradictory but more over it is pretty much unworkable.

A class of thirty children with 2m between each of them would cover the area of 10m X 12m, should anyone have to pass between the seated pupils it would have to be 20m X 24m and even those figures do not allow space for the teacher.

Better yet the miasma of  a sneeze may easily travel 5m without any trouble. So much for masks I think a space suit would be better at that rate.

As for enforcement, how on earth can a guideline be enforced ?  Correct parse of both syntax and grammar would illustrate that point straight away !

It has either all been made up as they have gone along or it is a planned mess, you decide.

Gibbo.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, rilksy said:

It's all going to end in tears!    We're all doomed I say!

Politicians, common sense, national crisis, ignorant public, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I'm off to juggle soot and plait fog, far simpler things to do.

Mike.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Politicians, common sense, national crisis, ignorant public, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I'm off to juggle soot and plait fog, far simpler things to do.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

My observation is that the the politics of the left, the right and also the centre have been proven over time not to work. On that basis I would suggest that looking upwards toward the next level of cognizance is now the only option available to any of us.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/05/2020 at 15:43, Clive Mortimore said:

So with the Garrett on the front capable of pulling a 1000 tons as per the text, and with no load in half the wagons, why did it need the banker/pusher? A smoke plume from a banker/pusher loco is clearly visible behind the train unless that is another demo train following close behind. My assumption is it is probably a pusher to avoid the couplings snapping but if it needs a loco each end that rather defeated the object of building such a powerful loco for the head end unless three would otherwise have been needed. Just some observations.

Edited by john new
Punctuation error.
  • Like 1