Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

• Kings rule Kingdoms
  • Emperors rule Empires
  • Boris rules this Cuntry

Gibbo.

Kings used to rule the West of England mainline. The world was a more agreeable place then.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Kings used to rule the West of England mainline. The world was a more agreeable place then.

Hi Jazzer,

Are you sure ?

The whole railway was funded by the City of London to reach Bristol, you only have to look at the Coat of Arms to see that !

https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/index.php/Great_Western_Railway

We see the Fire Cross of Saint George symbolising the Cardinal points of the Sun; The sword which is a principal of stern action; The scales that shew equity in partnership; The snake that shews wisdom; The red and white of the Vatican, need I go on.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jazzer,

Are you sure ?

The whole railway was funded by the City of London to reach Bristol, you only have to look at the Coat of Arms to see that !

We see the Fire Cross of Saint George symbolising the Cardinal points of the Sun; The sword which is a principal of stern action; The scales that shew equity in partnership; The snake that shews wisdom; The red and white of the Vatican, need I go on.

Gibbo.

The (some?) funding may have been via the City of London but my understanding is it was a Bristol inspired scheme to shift goods out of the port.

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jazzer,

Are you sure ?

Gibbo.

Crikey Gibbo , you’ve made me stop and think now . When I think of all the trouble, the wars , the control of people that in different ways that symbolism and flags and such things have been contributed to I don’t know whether to answer in a way that is profound, or controversial , or serious, but the best I can do is to say whatever was on the side of the tender it’s the copper capped chimneys, brass safety valve covers and the Stephenson valve gear that work for me. That’s the escapism that railways provide for me , as an alternative to the real world .

I did like your post though. It is said we should try to learn something every day, and I have learned something from your post .:)

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Crikey Gibbo , you’ve made me stop and think now . When I think of all the trouble, the wars , the control of people that in different ways that symbolism and flags and such things have been contributed to I don’t know whether to answer in a way that is profound, or controversial , or serious, but the best I can do is to say whatever was on the side of the tender it’s the copper capped chimneys, brass safety valve covers and the Stephenson valve gear that work for me. That’s the escapism that railways provide for me , as an alternative to the real world .

I did like your post though. It is said we should try to learn something every day, and I have learned something from your post .:)

Hi Jazzer,

It's actually much worse than that, we both now owe 10p to Clive's swear box for mentioning THAT railway !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jazzer said:

Flags and symbols change over time, this is the real flag of England, and our patron saint,  St Edmund.

whitedragonflag.jpg?1427822066

St Edmund the patron saint of wolves and plagues as well.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Flags and symbols change over time, this is the real flag of England, and our patron saint,  St Edmund.

But Clive,

Saints are all beatified by the Catholic Church which is based on middle eastern fairy tales and other such Masonic nonsense. As for England it is named after a Germanic tribe, also there is an Order of the Dragon from the former Austro-Hungarian Empire which were also Masonic and engaged in fighting the Ottomans on behalf of the Holy Roman Empire. Different kind of dragon though.

Not at all the spirit of my Earth !

Gibbo.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I thought he was the patron saint of French hats ,  hence he was known in East Anglia as Beret St Edmunds.:rolleyes:

Alright , I’ll get me coat..........

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jazzer said:

I thought he was the patron saint of French hats ,  hence he was known in East Anglia as Beret St Edmunds.:rolleyes:

Alright , I’ll get me coat..........

Sometimes, some people stoop so low as to be not worthy of a groan button!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Flags and symbols change over time, this is the real flag of England,

Just needs the green half of the background added. . .

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Hi Folks,

Talking of "Symbollics" I've just done a Tarot reading for the energies surrounding Sheffield Exchange, Toy Trains and Music and those that post regularly:

Here is the spread:

1398291457_DSCF12901.JPG.327612ab5f9b1b297c5f9960332f01df.JPG

Here is the divination:

1. Past influences: Six of Wands, We stand upon great ideas, success earned by hard work combined with originality and satisfaction in achievement.
  2. Present Circumstances: King of Wands, We are noble, courteous, loyal, providers of moral support although occasionally indecisive.
  3. Future Conditions: Five of Pentacles, There will be material adversity and restriction, however with strong moral bonds with those in a similar position.
  4. Best path: Six of cups, We have happiness built upon past efforts, in the renewal of present activity we shall have a creative future.
  5. Attitudes of those surrounding us: King of Pentacles, We are practical, down to earth, we are skilled in craft while at the same time being loyal, trustworthy and wise when engaged in chosen activities.
  6. Obstacles: Five of Cups, Harmony is replaced by worry, a reassessment of life is required however all is not lost.
  7. Outcome. Knight of Swords, We are courageous, strong highly skilled and at our best in difficult circumstances.

I like that it shews us all in a good light, the Six of Cups indicates that we remain upon the course set by the Six of Wands. This year and next year have had and will have their restrictions, this shews up in the Five of Pentacles although the Five of Cups shews us that we will take what we have and work forward for the best using the the skills of the King of Wands and the Qualities of the Knight of Swords worked through the Six of Cups.

Knowing well enough the character of all that regularly post on this thread I see that the divination of the spread is both a positive and accurate reflection of us all, our approach to each other, and our interests. This is reflected in the Three of Pentacles that crosses the deck and signifies the spread as a card that indicates future prosperity through original and constant effort of the craftsman, rewarding skills, and supporting enterprise through assistance and cooperation.

We are on firm ground !

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Typographical Error
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 24/12/2020 at 08:36, john new said:

The (some?) funding may have been via the City of London but my understanding is it was a Bristol inspired scheme to shift goods out of the port.

Hi John,

Apologies for the tardy response;

Double entry book keeping was originally developed by the Knights Templar to fund crusades to the Holy Land thus securing Israel from the Saracens. It was the Saracens who built the Al Aqsa Mosque on Temple Mount, the supposed site of Solomon's Temple which the Templars wanted to reclaim to build the third Temple. The system of credit that was used then morphed into banking hence the City of London being a established by the Templars as a banking centre with a variation of the Red Cross as its symbol.

Just for fun have a look at the symbol of HSBC and compare the shapes and colours to the Templar cross. Before changing their name, HSBC was the Midland Bank, HSBC being originally set up By Thomas Sutherland funding for operations in China after the Opium Wars ended in 1860. They also ran a railway company, check out the Coat of Arms of both the Midland Railway ad the LMS, obviously funded by the same banking interests.

Any bank centred in Bristol that was patronised by the merchants of Bristol would have had Templar connections to the City of London. Why do you think that the GWR (another 10p!!!) station in Bristol is called Temple Meads. Temple Bar in the City of London is the ceremonial entrance from England.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

Clive,

Having failed miserably to wish you and all readers of this fine thread Happy Christmas, I will get in early and wish you All, a Happy and Prosperous and (eventually) Virus Free new Year!

Meanwhile, here is a gem of a chuckle from our Christmas day:-

We held a Zoom Quiz between our three family households, partly because eldest Granddaughter Hollie (aged 8) volunteered to write the questions and be Quizmaster.

She decided to check answers after each question.

Q1:- What are the 5 most popular vegetables for Christmas Dinner?

after everyone said they had answers, Hollie gave the answers:-

1) Turkey.. (Whole quiz dissolves into laughter, Hollie exits stage right in a huff!!!

(It took 10 minutes to restore order and persuade Hollie to carry on.)

I do have to report that except for this one incident, Hollie did well, her slides for the questions were very good and the questions suitable for ages 7-70 taking part. 

I am sure we could not have done so well at her age, so Well Done Hollie!!

Once Again, a Very Happy New Year

Paul

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Wow I have just read Gibbo's Tarot reading. 

This is not in response to it. It is something I have posted a few minutes ago on a PM support group Gilbert (greatnorthern), Steve (31A), Phil (Mallard60022) and myself have been communicating with each other since March when meeting up became a no no.  and had planned to post on here anyhow.

Been running trains, while I was watching a type 4 1/2 rolling along with a train of seven behind it I got into philosophical mode (by accident) and stated to consider what like about my hobby of model railways. 

1, Who doesn't like to see toy trains running?

2, I like making models.

3, I like researching about railways, for my modelling. 

4, I like the escapism it offers. 

5, I like to be friends with like minded people.

6, There is no number 6

7, All the above make it a fun hobby for me.

I have also read Paul's post, Hollie is right Turkeys must be vegetables because that is all they eat. They are just a reformed vegetable.  :ok:

Song for tonight, I think I might have posted it in the past, maybe not this video but it is one I like.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have also read Paul's post, Hollie is right Turkeys must be vegetables because that is all they eat. They are just a reformed vegetable.

Can we use this reasoning when the 'greens' tell us we must stop eating meat to save the planet?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wow I have just read Gibbo's Tarot reading. 

This is not in response to it. It is something I have posted a few minutes ago on a PM support group Gilbert (greatnorthern), Steve (31A), Phil (Mallard60022) and myself have been communicating with each other since March when meeting up became a no no.  and had planned to post on here anyhow.

Been running trains, while I was watching a type 4 1/2 rolling along with a train of seven behind it I got into philosophical mode (by accident) and stated to consider what like about my hobby of model railways. 

2, I like making models.

6, There is no number 6

I have also read Paul's post, Hollie is right Turkeys must be vegetables because that is all they eat. They are just a reformed vegetable.  :ok:

Song for tonight, I think I might have posted it in the past, maybe not this video but it is one I like.

Hi Clive,

Strangely some people think I'm quite bonkers.

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Strangely some people think I'm quite bonkers.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

You don't need to be to join the club but it does help with your application if you say so.

You tube suggested this to me, the haunting heart beat drum rhythm hit me when I bought the Ziggy LP back in 1973, it still does. As for the lyrics, one of Bowie's best, 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

have also read Paul's post, Hollie is right Turkeys must be vegetables because that is all they eat. They are just a reformed vegetable. 

8 hours ago, jimwal said:

Can we use this reasoning when the 'greens' tell us we must stop eating meat to save the planet?

I'm a secondhand vegan, I eat beef and wear leather, cows eat grass, ergo,,

Mike.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

what I like about my hobby of model railways. 

2, I like making models.

6, There is no number 6

Number 4 is very important.  Amongst us are the people who probably got grief for being interested in railways, or are the stereotype "odd" people.  The model railway is a little world where we are in control of everything and everyone is nice to each other, unlike the world outside.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7