Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Must stop looking on DMU threads. The 116 thread shows a set at TY made up of 2x116DMS with a 101 TB.

Then there is the two 108 bodies i have, already thinking of chopping them into a 107 and getting another to chop two into a 114, using the left over bits for a TS.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

MJI, I know what you feel. Keep thinking about a 115,already got a 116 using replica suburban coaches with DC kits cabs, got some lima ones converting into the 127 parcels units as well, a 114, 105 x 2, these two 108 bodies, all from DC kits. Then a silver fox 123 conversion of Bachmann mk1. Some 110, which will be either 110, 104, or chop into something else I have not decided. And some trix coaches I am going to try and chop into a 120.

And my EMUs have taken a break ATM. I have a idea I want to experiment with that will reduce the construction time significantly if it works.

(that reminds me, must finish the 116).

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MJI said:

Well I have 9 cars under construction with another 2 in thepipe line.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

MJI, I know what you feel. Keep thinking about a 115,already got a 116 using replica suburban coaches with DC kits cabs, got some lima ones converting into the 127 parcels units as well, a 114, 105 x 2, these two 108 bodies, all from DC kits. Then a silver fox 123 conversion of Bachmann mk1. Some 110, which will be either 110, 104, or chop into something else I have not decided. And some trix coaches I am going to try and chop into a 120.

And my EMUs have taken a break ATM. I have a idea I want to experiment with that will reduce the construction time significantly if it works.

(that reminds me, must finish the 116).

Hi Chaps,

It a good job that you are not attempting to run a bus replacement service for all that lot because I'm not sure there are enough bridges to put them all on.

I look forward to seeing all the completed works, the DMU's, not the bridges !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I just need one more Lima DMBS body then I can Sillouette a 114 set of sides.

High Level will be needing to sell me some more Low riders, will go in 120 DMBC and the WR IC intermediate power cars.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Chaps,

It a good job that you are not attempting to run a bus replacement service for all that lot because I'm not sure there are enough bridges to put them all on.

I look forward to seeing all the completed works, the DMU's, not the bridges !

Gibbo.

702475052_Devonbus.jpg.019940435fffae80fc587f969c34b6b9.jpg

I can do other areas of the country should you wish.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Must stop looking on DMU threads. The 116 thread shows a set at TY made up of 2x116DMS with a 101 TB.

In the 1980s Tyseley had more pick'n'mix than Woolworths. One morning my train to work was headed by a Class 122 in blue/grey followed by a Class 101 declassified TC(L) in white/blue stripe and a Class 105 declassified DMC(L) in blue/FYE livery. Try that at an exhibition and watch out for the reactions.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

In the 1980s Tyseley had more pick'n'mix than Woolworths. One morning my train to work was headed by a Class 122 in blue/grey followed by a Class 101 declassified TC(L) in white/blue stripe and a Class 105 declassified DMC(L) in blue/FYE livery. Try that at an exhibition and watch out for the reactions.

Hi Eric

I have a Derby DMBS, a Met Cam TC and a BRCW DMC combination from left overs from other conversions, and reformations. Even in the sixties the NER and to some extent the LMR and ER would sling any workable cars into a train to keep the service going.

How many exhibitions did we attend and only see a two or three car train on most layouts. I can't recall many where a train would be formed of two or three units. From my memories of DMUs, both single formations and multiple formations would be seen.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have a Derby DMBS, a Met Cam TC and a BRCW DMC combination from left overs from other conversions, and reformations. Even in the sixties the NER and to some extent the LMR and ER would sling any workable cars into a train to keep the service goin

Yes Clive,

Even in the WR days Tyseley would stick a 122 on a pair of 116 cars to put out a workable three car set when those were the only classes they had.

On the Midland side c1962 I remember a failed MetCam set doing a trip on the Redditch line one day with a Bromsgrove Jinty hauling it while they sorted out a loco and some coaching stock to replace it.

I recently commented on another thread that when it was decided Tyseley would be the last place to get Sprinters and they had all the displaced sets from other depots through there to see what they could make of them. The geographic knowledge of the rail system amongst Birmingham commuters was second to none as they had a different map to study every day.

Eric

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

702475052_Devonbus.jpg.019940435fffae80fc587f969c34b6b9.jpg

I can do other areas of the country should you wish.

Hmmmm......at least six , plus one probable can be identified as Devon General , and two more look like Western National to me. All from the area served by Gods Wonderful Railway . Are we to assume Clive is a closet GWR fan ?

• Funny 5

1 minute ago, jazzer said:

Hmmmm......at least six , plus one probable can be identified as Devon General , and two more look like Western National to me. All from the area served by Gods Wonderful Railway . Are we to assume Clive is a closet GWR fan ?

Hi Jazzer,

Clive will likely come up with some guff that alludes to running powers for the Southern, the  LMS, and the SDJR in those various territories to dodge that one !!!

Gibbo.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jazzer,

Clive will likely come up with some guff that alludes to running powers for the Southern, the  LMS, and the SDJR in those various territories to dodge that one !!!

Gibbo.

Hi Jazzer

Eight are Devon General, Grey Cars being their coach side of the company.  Three are Royal Blue, the coach part of the Western National and Southern Nation fleet, Western National was mainly a Cornish company and Southern National was south Devon and Dorset. I don't have any Southern National models (that I am aware of) but they would have been in my Devon rail replacement fleet. Not wantimng to spark another Devon verses Cornwall war I felt my Western National buses might cause a problem. The two green buses are Exeter  Corporation vehicles.

Hi Gibbo

Nearly right, they were assembled to get young Phil (Mallard60022) out of a tight spot when his DCC was no longer working and passengers were stuck at Seaton Junction. Edit Seaton Junction is on the Lost Somewhere and Wandering Railway.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No music video tonight but a train one

BBC had a Huntley clip - probably taken by the Hi Vis operator shown in this clip.  Really quite impressive - I wouldn’t want to be hit by that ‘spray’ of snow.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

BBC had a Huntley clip - probably taken by the Hi Vis operator shown in this clip.  Really quite impressive - I wouldn’t want to be hit by that ‘spray’ of snow.

Paul.

It's always hard to tell on a video but I'm sure we didn't run the ploughs that fast "in my day".

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

So I lied

Hi Clive,

A new band to me.  The lead guitarist seems to be channelling more than a little of 'The Edge', and the energy of early U2..

Regards,

Alex.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for that informative reply Clive . I didn’t know any of that. The things we learn on RM web !   It’s made me decide that its about time I started collecting a few  ( model ) busses. Maybe then those people at eBay will stop sending me M7’s . :lol:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

Hi Paul

As a S&T man I bet on cold days there was always that little job you had been putting off in the nice warm power box. Funny how those jobs became urgent.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

As a S&T man I bet on cold days there was always that little job you had been putting off in the nice warm power box. Funny how those jobs became urgent.

During fog and falling snow, to the bothy you must go!

Actually, I was an inside man for most of my career.  And, anyway, there's no such thing as bad weather for being outside, just the wrong clothing.  Also applied to cycle commuting in my case. 

Now I'm retired (almost) I can be a fair weather cyclist.

Paul. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2