Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Peasant chariots? Take a butchers at these lovelies, there is even one on a bridge, Ford End Road bridge, at the south end of Bedford Midland Road station.

The 100 and 101 routes where the ones I use to catch to go to town.

Fantastic, proper buses!!

I remember the United Counties Lodekkas on the 390 and 391 passing our house in Bletchley where I grew up. We never had a car so went everywhere on the bus and train!

Happy memories!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Come on who was brought up in a shoebox?

It doesn't matter where you were brought up (or in my case dragged up), what matters is how you treat other people no matter where they come from.

I have a theory known as the Throne of Equality. 

Some people live in small homes, some people live in big homes, small homes have less rooms, big homes have more rooms. Normally small houses have less toilets than big homes. You can only sit your bottom on one at a time, and when you do so I bet you look as daft as me with your pants around your ankles. See we are all equal.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 08221 said:

Well, up to a point, Lord Copper. "Proper" proper buses didn't have doors on the back so you could jump on and off whenever you felt like it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, up to a point, Lord Copper. "Proper" proper buses didn't have doors on the back so you could jump on and off whenever you felt like it.

Wot like the Borismasters were intended for, but normally have the rear doors shut. Not that the bendy buses were any better. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Proper busses you say? Only because you didn't have to drive them. When I started we still had Denis dominators in Sheffield, the oldest was a w reg. Let the revs drop and no power steering. There was a traffic light that for at least 10 years was pointing in the wrong direction at the end of West Street due to this, but honest, it wasn't me lol

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Proper busses you say? Only because you didn't have to drive them. When I started we still had Denis dominators in Sheffield, the oldest was a w reg. Let the revs drop and no power steering. There was a traffic light that for at least 10 years was pointing in the wrong direction at the end of West Street due to this, but honest, it wasn't me lol

Proper buses, pah, we had Regent III's in my day!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Come on who was brought up in a shoebox?

It doesn't matter where you were brought up (or in my case dragged up), what matters is how you treat other people no matter where they come from.

I have a theory known as the Throne of Equality. 

Some people live in small homes, some people live in big homes, small homes have less rooms, big homes have more rooms. Normally small houses have less toilets than big homes. You can only sit your bottom on one at a time, and when you do so I bet you look as daft as me with your pants around your ankles. See we are all equal.

Pants?, luxury.

Mike.

• Funny 7

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You can only sit your bottom on one at a time, and when you do so I bet you look as daft as me with your pants around your ankles. See we are all equal.

Except that the folks in the Big Houses can tell the folks in the Small Houses when they can sit, and tell the Small House folk to wipe the Big House folks ar$e$ and apply toothpaste to the brush

So not that equal really.

• Funny 5

Question, how does these compare?

DSCF0988.JPG.7f11f2ad778a9e19604d5a3bd7ed18b6.JPG

We have from L-R a NNK cab then i think craftsman, then a DC kits with home made destination box.

The NNK has a slight curved top, the CM curved top and sloping to the front, mine is flat topped.

Wanting to do a 108 with box, and also a 115, so which to use?

PS-surprised how well my home made bodge comes out in this photo.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 08221 said:

I remember the United Counties Lodekkas on the 390 and 391 passing our house in Bletchley where I grew up. We never had a car so went everywhere on the bus and train!

Happy memories!!

Nah, these are proper  buses. None of this polluting diesel nonsense, and they didnt have stick to 30MPH neither.

As a special treat check out the Stratford North Woolwich route at 1.05. . At 1-16 the round building on th eright is the stairway into the foot tunnel under the Thames . At 1-35 you are looking towards  dock st ( I think thats what its called)  and towering above the houses  you can see the funnel of a ship in the King George V Dock .  Then at 2.06 a fleeting glimpse of North Woolwich station Three platforms and a large goods yard back in the day, and finally from the footbridge outside the station, and N7 and Quintart set starting out on its 5 mile trip to all stations to  Stratford , first stop Slivertown a mile down the line

East End Trolleys - Bing video If this doesnt paste properly can find it on youtube under East End Trolleys as I think Bing might have blocked  copying it

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Nah, these are proper  buses. None of this polluting diesel nonsense, and they didnt have stick to 30MPH neither.

As a special treat check out the Stratford North Woolwich route at 1.05. . At 1-16 the round building on th eright is the stairway into the foot tunnel under the Thames . At 1-35 you are looking towards  dock st ( I think thats what its called)  and towering above the houses  you can see the funnel of a ship in the King George V Dock .  Then at 2.06 a fleeting glimpse of North Woolwich station Three platforms and a large goods yard back in the day, and finally from the footbridge outside the station, and N7 and Quintart set starting out on its 5 mile trip to all stations to  Stratford , first stop Slivertown a mile down the line

East End Trolleys - Bing video If this doesnt paste properly can find it on youtube under East End Trolleys as I think Bing might have blocked  copying it

Where I grew up in North London or should I say when I grew up there were TRolleybuses. Ran up the old A1 from Finchley to High Barnet. Funny how these environmentally sound things disappear isnt it

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Where I grew up in North London or should I say when I grew up there were TRolleybuses. Ran up the old A1 from Finchley to High Barnet. Funny how these environmentally sound things disappear isnt it

Unless you lived in sight of a coal fired power station as I did where I grew up.............can't complain I worked there after leaving school.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Question, how does these compare?

DSCF0988.JPG.7f11f2ad778a9e19604d5a3bd7ed18b6.JPG

We have from L-R a NNK cab then i think craftsman, then a DC kits with home made destination box.

The NNK has a slight curved top, the CM curved top and sloping to the front, mine is flat topped.

Wanting to do a 108 with box, and also a 115, so which to use?

PS-surprised how well my home made bodge comes out in this photo.

Hi Cheesy

Which do you think is the best?  It is your model.

There is another choice, make your own.

003a.jpg.0c36f8083ca2a6616583cd6564d3858c.jpg

• Like 9

20 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Not only individually sound as units , they carried 70 people compared to 56 on the AEC RT series that replaced them so they needed 20%  more diesel buses to replace them.;)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Unless you lived in sight of a coal fired power station as I did where I grew up.............can't complain I worked there after leaving school.

I grew up in a coal fired house. I used to pretend that the fireplace was the firebox of a Collet  0-4-2.  One day before my parents came home I left the poker ( which I pretended was the pricker ) in the fire. When I went to get it out it was so hot I dropped it on the carpet . I was horrified at the thrashing I thought I was going to get as a load of smoke came up as it  burnt the carpet , but to my good fortune it fell exactly on a black line on the carpet and and the burn mark went undetected until we moved away several years later. 
One of my luckier escapes !

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a coal fire when I was a kid. It wasn't until I grew up that I found out the ritual of the incantation containing many non RMweb words my father did each morning wasn't necessary for the fire gods to get the thing going.

• Funny 6

34 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

We had a coal fire when I was a kid. It wasn't until I grew up that I found out the ritual of the incantation containing many non RMweb words my father did each morning wasn't necessary for the fire gods to get the thing going.

My grandad had a coal fire, we had gas - however I do remember helping him get the fire going with wood offcuts and paper, plus putting the shovel up against the fire with a sheet of paper to create an updraft to get it roaring - I was only 4 or 5 at best.  Cannot imagine letting a child that age be allowed to play with fire now.

• Like 6