Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Hi Clive,

You might pick up a Gutzold M62 off ebay for £60-£70 if you were lucky. Gutzold being old DDR improved after 1990. Get 2 and with your plastic skills no probs at all to make a double one.

Just to get you in the mood here's some at Daugavpils in Latvia in 2012, courtesy PTG.

John.

IMG_4361 copyweb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 06/03/2021 at 10:44, Clive Mortimore said:

I think these three have included most of us in this song. :umbrage:

I definitely never dated any of them.  I'd remember if I had.

It's a lovely song about that time-of-life although probably not suitable for Top of the Pops (if it was still going).

Edited by Northmoor
Extra line
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

For all of you that don't do Facebook. I have just been shown a photo on there of a dia EW501 class 308 DTLV conversion with the double doors. 

That is a different EMU you have not done yet Clive.

Will post link later

Edited by cheesysmith
Spelling
  • Like 1

Lets see if this link works

Three-car 308994 passing Stratford on its way to Ilford Depot on 30 August1988.

It is a picture of 308994 passing stratford as a 3 car unit. One coach is the standard BDTL, the other is DTLV

Thanks to M J Collins on flicker. Must admit, his photo gallery has a good selection of east Anglia photos.

Edited by cheesysmith
link
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Lets see if this link works

Three-car 308994 passing Stratford on its way to Ilford Depot on 30 August1988.

It is a picture of 308994 passing stratford as a 3 car unit. One coach is the standard BDTL, the other is DTLV

Thanks to M J Collins on flicker. Must admit, his photo gallery has a good selection of east Anglia photos.

I have a feeling that Michael Collins lived, indeed may still live, around Ipswich. There was a time in the '80's when magazines such as Rail Enthusiast (before it became Rail) seemed to have lots of his pictures.

Whilst he concentrated on East Anglia and the former GE section, he did cover other areas as well, the one occasion that I met him was near Worting Junction to the west of Basingstoke, in the early '80's. A very pleasant chap indeed I seem to remember.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2021 at 16:06, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Clive,

You might pick up a Gutzold M62 off ebay for £60-£70 if you were lucky. Gutzold being old DDR improved after 1990. Get 2 and with your plastic skills no probs at all to make a double one.

Just to get you in the mood here's some at Daugavpils in Latvia in 2012, courtesy PTG.

John.

IMG_4361 copyweb.jpg

I quite like those.  Chunky sort of machines. Did you have a Permit?:D

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

For all of you that don't do Facebook. I have just been shown a photo on there of a dia EW501 class 308 DTLV conversion with the double doors. 

That is a different EMU you have not done yet Clive.

Will post link later

Hi Cheesy

The parcels version of the 308, no I haven't and for the time being will not be making one , far to modern image for me. They were converted in the early nineties when 310s were being dumped on the LTSR following being displaced by 317s on the Euston runs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I quite like those.  Chunky sort of machines. Did you have a Permit?:D

Part of an organised tour  by PTG, the Portuguese Traction Group.

Led by Phil Wormald and Marion Matthews, probably the best organised foreign tour that I've ever done.

John.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ladies and Gentlemen

I have received a PM ( I won't mention it is from you, Steve) stating that I flit all over the place, now some of that is to do with you blighters. Let's keep it up.

Talking about flitting all over the shop, I got three new books today. BIG THANKS to Cath at Booklaw.

Acquired Wagons of British Railways, Vol 3, 13 ton Wooden bodied minerals, by David Larkin. No more making up numbers of these after reading this book, I will be checking your wooden minerals from now on. Back in the 1980's David Larkin came to my house and was chatting to me about going through the records at Derby regarding ex PO wagons and the lack of information, I think this will be the most informative book as yet, basically a lifetimes studying by one person, well done David.

British Railways Modernisation-Era DMUs by Evan Green-Hughes. Reading a few of the captions I am not sure I will learn anything new but the photos are great.

Southern Electrics in Colour 1955-1972, by David Brown and Kevin Derrick. A lovely collection of EMUs mainly in their natural colour of green. One slight downside, in my opinion is the lack of BR types in the photos in what is a well presented book. One for the bookcase of anyone interested in SR EMUs, sits nicely alongside the two previous Strathwood black and white EMU albums.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I think these three have included most of us in this song. :umbrage:

The expression on the face of the one playing bass guitar looks like she has dated a train enthusiast that spent the evening explaining the variations in Class 47 sub- classes.:huh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Which company painted their EMUs black and white? 

or is it like this? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CWM1zDcmWXs/TroD0VsX4WI/AAAAAAAAAVA/Jc5bN5xSTkc/s1600/ch930919.gif

Andi

The world is a complicated place. Whenever it seems that way I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, jazzer said:

The expression on the face of the one playing bass guitar looks like she has dated a train enthusiast that spent the evening explaining the variations in Class 47 sub- classes.:huh:

No that's the other one. She's smiling in anticipation of him coming back to sort out the 37's for her!

John.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

The sides are interesting.

Profile is pure late GWR, door hinges the same.

But sides are tilted in roughly 3"/1mm at top.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1