Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

LNER coach roofs were a series of radii, which means they would be best dunked in boiling water around a shaped piece of wood..................the last word is the problem, I can carve, plane etc it but not to the desired shape. Myself and it do not always get on well.

Hi Clive

I was thinking more of the CCT rather than the Gresley coaches :-).

For the Gresley coaches I would use your method.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Gotta say the soundtrack to this topic leaves all the others for dead!

Clive do you do soundtracks for TV shows as well?  There are some I know could use your expertise.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi Clive

I was thinking more of the CCT rather than the Gresley coaches :-).

For the Gresley coaches I would use your method.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul 

The CCT was rebuilt from redundant Ilford hauled coaches and has an LNER coach shaped roof. There were in fact 3 batches of these plus a batch of PMVs. One batch was built from ex GER non-gangway coaches(second coach), also made redundant by the electrification of the GER suburban services to Shenfield, as were the PMVs These had a GER type profile and GER bogies. There was the batch I am building which were to an LNER profile and Fox bogies from even older stock and the third batch I have no idea what their origin was but they may have been shorter as they only have two doors each side and were on Gresley bogies, the details are in  Hugh Longworth's wonderful book but to date I haven't studied them. 

All three batches of CCTs have the same design of folding end doors of the standard BR CCTs and GUVs. 

The few photos I have seen of the PMVs show they had a different window arrangement to the diagram published in the Longworth book. The Longworth book also indicates all the diagrams (except the third batch of CCTs) were panelled like the coaches they were rebuilt from when they were sheeted with steel. 

I do like the magic world of NPCCS. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

All these new girl bands...  here's a real woman

still gives me goosebumps after all these years.  ironically, saw her live at the Colston hall in 1981... and they were cr4p!

After a gig at Chelmsford I was talking to Siouxsie and she said that I had never asked for her autograph and with that she wrote in thick felt pen on my 1941 issue Battledress jacket.................how rad was that? :yahoo:

In a tidy up of my wardrobe Mrs M threw out the jacket that no longer fitted me and I never wore. I didn't realise until after the dustman had been. :fie:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Gotta say the soundtrack to this topic leaves all the others for dead!

Clive do you do soundtracks for TV shows as well?  There are some I know could use your expertise.

Ah!! Telly, that is the thing in the living room that Mrs M watches sometimes. OK I do watch the news when having my tea but otherwise unless it is Doctor Who I don't watch it. So I may not be able to help with TV sound tracks. 

That's a point is there going to be a Doctor Who series this year? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

After a gig at Chelmsford I was talking to Siouxsie and she said that I had never asked for her autograph and with that she wrote in thick felt pen on my 1941 issue Battledress jacket.................how rad was that? :yahoo:

In a tidy up of my wardrobe Mrs M threw out the jacket that no longer fitted me and I never wore. I didn't realise until after the dustman had been. :fie:

Which is exactly why we tidy up our own mess not others'

Mr Robert Smith learning his stage craft there in that video.

12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah!! Telly, that is the thing in the living room that Mrs M watches sometimes. OK I do watch the news when having my tea but otherwise unless it is Doctor Who I don't watch it. So I may not be able to help with TV sound tracks. 

That's a point is there going to be a Doctor Who series this year? 

If it is anything like the previous series I won't be watching - Dr Who is meant to be escapism not a reminder of the racial and equality issues we need to contend with in the real world.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

As you all have guessed I do like my female alternative rock bands. Ever since the early days of punk with the likes of Patti Smith, Siouxise, the Slits, Kleenex, Snatch, X-ray Spex etc. I have had an admiration for these young women who went out and played their own music and weren't remodelled by the music industry  to be like every other female singer. My like of female bands is not one of "Cor they are lovely looking" but one of genuine like of the music. I am not blind and can see a pretty lady but that is not why I might like a band. Every now and then my primeval instinct does take over , so I am not some righteous do goodie. One of the ladies in this band would make go all weak kneed and tongue tied, as I did as a teenager, should I ever meet her. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As you all have guessed I do like my female alternative rock bands. Ever since the early days of punk with the likes of Patti Smith, Siouxise, the Slits, Kleenex, Snatch, X-ray Spex etc. I have had an admiration for these young women who went out and played their own music and weren't remodelled by the music industry  to be like every other female singer. My like of female bands is not one of "Cor they are lovely looking" but one of genuine like of the music. I am not blind and can see a pretty lady but that is not why I might like a band. Every now and then my primeval instinct does take over , so I am not some righteous do goodie. One of the ladies in this band would make go all weak kneed and tongue tied, as I did as a teenager, should I ever meet her. 

The one in the white top :D

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thank you, on a day like today when it is raining and Mrs M is not happy, something nice to cheer me up is much appreciated.

Rain or shine, happy or sad, something/one as nice as Clare is always appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Which is exactly why we tidy up our own mess not others'

Mr Robert Smith learning his stage craft there in that video.

If it is anything like the previous series I won't be watching - Dr Who is meant to be escapism not a reminder of the racial and equality issues we need to contend with in the real world.

That's an interesting take on Dr. Who, and more or less my analysis of how its developed.

I don't dislike the programme even so, but when we watched it 40 or 50 years ago it was written for people our age. It's now written for the same people, just half a century older!

John.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

That's an interesting take on Dr. Who, and more or less my analysis of how its developed.

I don't dislike the programme even so, but when we watched it 40 or 50 years ago it was written for people our age. It's now written for the same people, just half a century older!

John.

Except it wasn't as 'woke' until the latest incarnation when the story lines began to include real historical people and the Dr and chums had to save them so that historical events still happened.

I can accept the standard story line where it's all sorted with a sonic screwdriver in the last 5 minutes but writing whole stories to re-awaken cultural stories about racial and equality issues maybe means I am no longer the target market.

Given how little television I watch, maybe they are right, I am not the target market and clearly the idea is to educate young people on struggles of earlier times, CBBC would never get the budget to do Dr Who so it remains on BBC1

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Bah, work is poo.  But I need the money.  Made bearable by listening to New Space Music by Brian Eno.

One day you will retire and Mrs Doc will write a list of jobs that need doing and as you cross the top one off two more get added at the bottom. When that day comes I will repost your "Bah, work is poo......"

I have not come on here to make retirement sound great but to say how glad I am that I am stupid and thick. What does this all mean? I just turn the knob and off goes the train. OK sometimes it goes Chuff Chuff not Brumm  Brumm when I forget what is pulling it, but hey ho it still goes backwards or the otherway.

Please keep you answers to single syllable words and in plain English. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

LNER coach roofs were a series of radii, which means they would be best dunked in boiling water around a shaped piece of wood..................the last word is the problem, I can carve, plane etc it but not to the desired shape. Myself and it do not always get on well.

You could always beg borrow or steal an aluminium roof of the correct diameter and heat form  more roofs/rooves/lids over it.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Someone used to do a range of moulded (or possibly heat-formed) roofs; was it Roxey?

Hi Brian

Not too sure. I will investigate. I know MJT do a LNER roof. But that could be the start of the slippy slope and I will begin to buy etch sides etc. I am actually enjoying trying to get the roof/rooves the right shape.

1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You could always beg borrow or steal an aluminium roof of the correct diameter and heat form  more roofs/rooves/lids over it.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Now that sounds like an idea for the future.

As today has been a total disaster not being able to go outside and do the work Mrs M has on her list I have had to suffer and spend all day in the toy room making the roofs/rooves of these coaches. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I have been comparing the Hornby Gresley BG with my one and the dome on the roof doesn't look right (my one) but then the Hornby model is too wide, BGs were narrower than other coaches, the Hornby one is the same width as their passenger coaches.  All is not lost it can be rectified. I am going to have to check my measurements and correct anything that is wrong. :paint:

The CCT(E) looks a stunner. I have made the basic frames for its Fox bogies and they run wonderfully, better than most RTR bogies and kit ones I have built. :locomotive::locomotive:

Edit....I still am clueless on what an Automatic Motor Tuner is. :scratchhead:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2