How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

• RMweb Premium

Except, perhaps and in my humble opinion, the trailing truck arrangement and the finish. If there wasn’t much happening in the world of model railways, I might have gone for one. However, I can get two or three desirables for the price of this. All the same, I think it is very enterprising of Dapol and I hope it makes a profit. If not, probably the idea will go the way of Hornby’s live steam and become a curious memory.

I agree that the diecast body does give a finish that a plastic body can't compete with. As for the Cartazzi truck, Hornbys is prototypical, apart from the flangeless wheel of course. I understand why Dapol offered a pivoting one, but it scream of old Hornby to me.

I agree that the diecast body does give a finish that a plastic body can't compete with. As for the Cartazzi truck, Hornbys is prototypical, apart from the flangeless wheel of course. I understand why Dapol offered a pivoting one, but it scream of old Hornby to me.

The fixed pony truck can be used on gentler curves. There is, apparently, enough sideplay. Another possibility for Hornby to consider.

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest with all these A4s, have Hornby released on in post war LNER or British Railways blue (as in suitable for the 1948 loco exchange Mallard or Seagul?)

I feel the need to get an example of my favourite non GWR loco...

Edited by The Fatadder

Not a definitive list, but there are a few on here. There is no separation between the old models, Railroad and the detailed models though.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/class_details.asp?classid=3

I've only got one. Falcon in BR green which was a limited edition from Littlewoods catalogue when they were selling train packs. The first of the modern era models that I bought and one of the things that got me back into model railways.

Jason

Out of interest with all these A4s, have Hornby released on in post war LNER or British Railways blue (as in suitable for the 1948 loco exchange Mallard or Seagul?)

Mallard was done with the old R376 Margate tooling, but off the top of My head not since the new tooling was introduced.

post-23233-0-40403500-1503573444.jpg

Edit - I don't think even that model was right for the GWR Exchanges as I believe Mallard was still numbered E22 at the time and it should have less black down low.

However Lord Faringdon was done in the exchanges livery, but it was at the LMS during that time. It's available in the R2167 train pack (but also has older tooling albeit with a little better detail than the Mallard above )

post-23233-0-29791700-1503574643.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak

Only three but the shape of the body is absolutely commendable. If Hornby put their minds to it they can come out on top. Their body shell of their China made release has a better profile along the top than Martin Finney's (now Brassmasters) resin body....and that is quite good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I suppose I've missed the boat then. I see the big "H" has the set of four still, but I have an A1 and P2 (not from that set), and a hiked price if one surfaces would bend my pension too much!

Oh well, never mind, my cobbled together version will have to do, that might pass muster at a 500 foot rule distance at 100 mph!!? Scary stuff for rivet counters, but it has a single chimney,( which I did) in apple green livery, (which I did) and tender drive ( which I left as is, 'cos it works)!

30/40 or so years have passed since I transformed/ hacked(?) Hornby's BR Mallard into Osprey. Putting valences on was tricky, thanks to plasticard. That's the bit not to look closely at! I still have a Silver Fox valenced body, Hornbys first, I think, (1986ish?) that would be more accurate...........I'm getting, er got old, so is it worth the hassle? NAH!

Tod

Well now, those "vagabonds and thieves" set about me again!!!! There I was, looking on the "big H" website for a different loco and there it was, only three in stock, so they said. Hmm, shall I, should I? I then made the mistake in telling my two best railway mates, (see above) convincing me that I may never ever get the chance again. So under extreme pressure (hah!), I gave in and now the proud owner of "Osprey", ex-works, very shiny and run in light engine so far. Tonight it goes into traffic with my 8-car Pullman set. And just for the record, I have nine A4s. Two are duplicates, so could be renamed.

Nine is an odd number though isn't it? Maybe, perhaps, could I fall foul of temptation yet again?? You never know.......................?

Tod 

• 2 weeks later...

Just the one - Hornby Spencer. Bachmann Spencer does not count, although they did a good job in a recreation of the character that appears on-screen.

Hornby Spencer's wheels were originally black, but I repainted them grey to better match the character's likeness. Mind you, I like things more prototypical and less of the baby-ish 'toy-train' look in the early RWS books with the Dalby illustrations.

• RMweb Premium

Latest version was R3320 “Golden Eagle” 60023 in British Railways blue with early emblem, widely available about 12 month’s ago. I’m not aware of any with Gill Sans lettering in post war livery, though there is still available R3441 “Sir Murrough Wilson” in wartime black with Gill Sans lettering which would probably have still carried this livery for some time after 1945. These are still being discounted at some retailers.

Phil.

• Like 1

I have 4:

- A Commonwealth Collection 'Dominion of Canada' which has lost a lot of detail and runs not too great, although hasn't been run in around a year. - Late BR Brunswick Green w. No Side Valances

- A Silver Jubilee Collection 'Silver King' Separated from the other 3, runs well, although a handrail fell off early on and I did have to glue the buffer beam section back on. - LNER Original Three Tone Silver/Grey

- A Hornby Railroad 'Golden Shuttle' which is in dire need of some detailing and a new tender body (I hate the old Hornby Tenders on retooled A4 locomotives) - LNER Garter Blue w. Side Valances

- An old but good running 'Seagull' with Tender Drive, probably one of my favourite models I own. (Seagull has the older tooling, but I think it needs no detailing as the original tooling looks fine and the paint in my opinion is better than my other A4's)- Garter Blue w. Side Valances

All of my A4's have corridor tenders, but my 'Silver King' has the tapered corridor end instead of the flat version on the others. I'm sorry if I've upset any Hornby A4 lovers by the poor condition of half of my A4 fleet.

• Like 1

I have all 6 preserved examples. All have Alan Gibson scale bogie and Cartazzi wheelsets, brass number, name and worksplates (and plaques on 60007 60009 and 4468)

60007 in BR Green (in what could be painted as rather than blue) 1928 corridor tender (black nameplates)

60008 in BR Green with streamlined non corridor tender (black nameplates)

60009 in BR Green with 1928 corridor tender and coat of arms on cabsides (red nameplates)

60010 in BR Green with 1928 corridor tender (red nameplates)

60019 in BR Green with 1928 corridor tender (black nameplates)

4468 in LNER Blue streamlined non corridor tender. Gloss finish.(black nameplates)

• Like 1

I have recently got my mits on a Hornby 60031, which is to become the 8th haymarket a4 that never was ie 60000 Buzzard. No loco carried this name, although one should have in my view, much better than some of the directors names etc. With a crest on the casing in the style of merlin.

post-10572-0-43975300-1512171108.jpeg

Gary

Edited by kingfisher24
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have recently got my mits on a Hornby 60031, which is to become the 8th haymarket a4 that never was ie 60000 Buzzard. No loco carried this name, although one should have in my view, much better than some of the directors names etc. With a crest on the casing in the style of merlin.

attachicon.gif05024DB3-B884-42ED-A7B5-0F591EEE7CD1.jpeg

Gary

You got me thinking... how about “Albatross”?

• 4 months later...

Well now, those "vagabonds and thieves" set about me again!!!! There I was, looking on the "big H" website for a different loco and there it was, only three in stock, so they said. Hmm, shall I, should I? I then made the mistake in telling my two best railway mates, (see above) convincing me that I may never ever get the chance again. So under extreme pressure (hah!), I gave in and now the proud owner of "Osprey", ex-works, very shiny and run in light engine so far. Tonight it goes into traffic with my 8-car Pullman set. And just for the record, I have nine A4s. Two are duplicates, so could be renamed.

Nine is an odd number though isn't it? Maybe, perhaps, could I fall foul of temptation yet again?? You never know.......................?

Tod 

Fell into the trap again!!!.The10th A4 and very likely the last(?) "Quicksilver" has arrived on shed. Superb runner and looks, but I'm running out of stabling sidings now, but I must leave a little space for the forthcoming N7.................

Tod. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Woodcock based on a Hornby Mallard and Scotsman A3 chassis and Corridor tender.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1e3.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG_4281.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4283.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4282.JPG

Very nice! Good to see something different modelled!

It's the reason why I purchased (relentlessly hunted) 60027 in BR Ultramarine.

My father owns 4468 in as built condition and 2509 as released for the 75th anniversary of the Silver Jubilee (I think the silver A4's were the nicest looking)

I'm looking to purchase 4493 in LNER green when it gets released later this year, so between us that'll be 4 streaks - Always room for more though...

Any chances for the W1 I wonder?

Well actually yes, I am working on one, and have a blog here on RM Web about my build...In addition, I am building a Streamlined P2 2003 and am writing a blog about that as well.

post-32040-0-85506800-1526424586.jpeg

post-32040-0-53642900-1526424824.jpeg

As per the question, I have only 1 A4 Pacific now, being the Limited Edition Great Goodbye A4 4489 Dominion of Canada... I used to have two but 1 had to be used for creating a P2 & W1

post-32040-0-39063900-1526424927.jpg

Here is 4489 Dominion of Canada next to 4494 Osprey, visiting on my layout Mile End Park 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, Hornby's new 'as preserved' Mallard is out.

In many respects, this is what the Great Gathering/Goodbye models should have been (aside from burnished metal handrails)

First thing, is that the smokebox lamp iron is correctly positioned for the perserved model. The lettering on the cab and tender sides looks excellently located.

However - the front number seems rather too high; the 'Class A4' should be just above the buffer beam seam; it is a bit higher, and as a result the number is butting onto the centre lamp iron.

There seems to have also been an attempt to fix the 'dimples' in the rear of the cab roof, although the RH rain strip is still ill-defined at the rear end.

Red and white smokebox parabolic lining is rather on the thick side.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/34835/Hornby-r3676-oo-gauge-mallard-lner-blue-class-a4-4-6-2-steam-locomotive-no-4468

So almost there....

Edited by G-BOAF

But if you want one a per the 1938 record.....without that commemorative plaque.............

.... you had from 2005 until around 2011 to get one; they were churning them out, without any thought for us preservation modellers!

As things stand I have a 1938 loco which I will (eventually) fit a plaque to and possibly paint up the handrails. The only discrepency will be the centre lamp iron, but I'm still not convinced by elements of the latest batch. as per above.