How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

• RMweb Premium

Still not done a Blue A4 without valances, so my wallet is safe at least. Hopefully one day they will do it, as I really dont fancy masking and lining that curve to the front if I had to respray one...

Wouldn’t it be easier to get a blue one and cut off the valences? Rather than repaint a green one.

Wouldn’t it be easier to get a blue one and cut off the valences? Rather than repaint a green one.

Much easier repainting one. Then at least you've got the cut outs correct and you know all the rods and levers are present.

There is a BR Blue one currently available and plenty on the second hand market.

Lining is reasonably easy as transfers are available. Definitely from Fox and I think Modelmaster make them as well.

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers?model_product=1181&p=2&scale=2235&transfer_model_type=2158&transfer_period=2173&transfer_transfer_type=2164

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I can’t decide, so just keep putting it off hoping that Hornby do the job for me. The 1948 loco exchanges aren’t exactly critical for Brent, just nice to have

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having just taken delivery of Hornby's LNER 4493 Woodcock, I was looking for a review of the loco but came across this thread.

For my forthcoming (if Iive that long!) SR/S&DJR layout, naturally I require lots of LNER pacifics ... somehow I have acquired fourteen A4s, one in BR green and the rest in pre-war LNER condition with skirts - of course they regularly hauled the Pines Express; that should have the purists screaming!!!

Glenn

• Like 3

Much easier repainting one. Then at least you've got the cut outs correct and you know all the rods and levers are present.

There is a BR Blue one currently available and plenty on the second hand market.

Lining is reasonably easy as transfers are available. Definitely from Fox and I think Modelmaster make them as well.

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers?model_product=1181&p=2&scale=2235&transfer_model_type=2158&transfer_period=2173&transfer_transfer_type=2164

Jason

It is not hard to remove the valances on a A4 , mark out the curved shape either side of the cylinders , the rest is simple just follow the footplate edge .

You can buy the Brassmasters A4 detail set which will supply the reversing rod and ashpan lever and the front frames. Fox do the LNER parabolic curve, Modelmaster the white/black/white version . The Modelmaster version can be used for Apple Green A4's.

3- All Hornby and all in garter blue with full valences

R2339 Mallard

R3095 Commonwealth of Australia Ltd edition (75th anniversary of The Coronation)

R3252 Dominion of Canada Ltd edition (Great Goodbye)

But this is no way near as many as I'd like to have!

My first post,and it is a reply to one of my favourite Hornby Locomotives.Using Ramsey Guide as a benchmark to what Hornby has produced, I have one example of every model  A4 produced by Hornby. Only need the two latest to be produced The Ltd. Ed. Gold Mallard and Woodcock.Any ideas how many that is? Answer tomorrow.

• Like 1

In response to the title of this topic 'how many Hornby A4's do you have?' I can confirm currently I have never had an A4 as being a 'modern image' modeller (what does this really mean? Where would Tornado fit?) this is outside my modelling time line as the period I am looking to replicate in model form is 1986 - 96.

However, applying Rule 1 - It is my model railway I run what I like, & having so far managed to resist the many temptations that have been provided over the years, this is about to change........

So here it is, my very first A4 - the Mallard 80th limited edition anniversary pack (R3612).

The locomotive has gold plated running gear & also included in the pack is a wooden plinth to display this fine A4 as well as a reproduction plaque confirming the 126mph world speed record.

I have always been a sucker for a 'bit of bling' but this is part of our history & heritage, after all, we gave railways to the world.

I am not sure I will run this but the the whole pack has been put together well & looks absolutely stunning.

In my humble opinion 10/10 (& that's from a Diesel & electric fan!).

Go check it out.....

post-30109-0-85352500-1535278317_thumb.png

Edited by CB Rail

So here it is, my very first A4 - the Mallard 80th limited edition anniversary pack (R3612).

The locomotive has gold plated running gear & also included in the pack is a wooden plinth to display this fine A4 as well as a reproduction plaque confirming the 126mph world speed record.

I have always been a sucker for a 'bit of bling' but this is part of our history & heritage, after all, we gave railways to the world.

I am not sure I will run this but the the whole pack has been put toegether well & looks absolutely stunning.

In my humble opinion 10/10 (& that's from a Diesel & electric fan!).

Go check it out.....

I looked at this in Branchlines yesterday. Although nice, I decided against buying it.

Edited by sandwich station
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...