How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

Welcome to the club!

If you get annoyed with the 'fat' railroad tender, you should be able to locate a replacement on Ebay. That's what I did with my railroad 60022 several years back.

Thanks; as I mentioned just before, I now have bought a second A4; one of the old R.313's, in the guise of 4482 "Golden Eagle" in LNER lined green.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

Welcome to the club!

If you get annoyed with the 'fat' railroad tender, you should be able to locate a replacement on Ebay. That's what I did with my railroad 60022 several years back.

I put fat railroad tenders through the band saw twice, once carefully down each side, just down the inside of the side sheets, and then glue them back together. Ive done this a few times now, and I havn't even had to repaint them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I am also waiting for a Golden Eagle. An old one. I hope to install a railroad chassis and fit DCC so it can run on my layout with Gadwall. Hopefully it will be as reliable.

Well on that, Gadwall broke down the other day. But since it runs a lot, I can forgive it. Fault traced to a rivet in the motion worked slightly loose and caused the motion to jam. It got serviced, re quartered just in case, and the motion just needed that rivet smashed down a bit. While the wheels were off I painted them a little redder.

PXL_20230924_005741972.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Apologies in advance if this seems like a simple question but I’m looking to model ‘modern image’ and I’m just wondering whether Hornby have released (or looking to release) 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley in its current condition seen on our rails today?

many thanks 

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Apologies in advance if this seems like a simple question but I’m looking to model ‘modern image’ and I’m just wondering whether Hornby have released (or looking to release) 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley in its current condition seen on our rails today?

many thanks 

Isn't the current Hornby Dublo SNG like she is today? Or at least 10 years ago. I don't know if she changed since then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johan DC said:

Isn't the current Hornby Dublo SNG like she is today? Or at least 10 years ago. I don't know if she changed since then.

i think its from the great gathering collection but essentially as she is now....good luck trying to find one though, sold out everywhere on pre-order. Hornby now and then bring them back into stock but it lasts only a few hours before they are out of stock again

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Shoey said:

many thanks 

There is one (Hornby Dublo - Great Gathering) currently on ebay - Buy it Now - but they are asking £450 for it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

mine has arrived, came on Monday, just opened it now.

My retailer took payment about a week ago and said he had a waiting list twice as long as his order book for it.

B1FAD96F-1A4D-4076-A69D-8CEBEDCCD062.jpeg.60d207520729ce9bc8b0fea90c3f925b.jpeg01CD47A8-25EB-4A72-AD93-0868D4181463.jpeg.4873d1d4359a4903f0b98fd57866428d.jpeg

comes with a limited edition certificate inside, 512.

47460A5C-A597-42BF-B36C-85ED724A4181.jpeg.2df756acea25c8b9b4aa358bcb2e200e.jpeg7C49F611-BBC9-46B9-9AA1-EAACD3021DDD.jpeg.171a23d8cf9c2d1dd5a7bb5e06c55f68.jpeg

The body is diecast metal, excellent finish, tender is plastic.

EFF647C3-3580-4B3A-81FB-3B4B82CC7A6E.jpeg.c9e5be6b1112d4da49659c46d662d29f.jpeg

weighs in quite heavy, includes a headboard in the pack..

23EDC38D-F085-48CA-AD94-EF5B30CBC30C.jpeg.22cbb687ac58a77779c0c3740dacd746.jpeg

includes drain cocks etc.

tbh a lovely model.

I may be tempted on a 60009 now as well.

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Keep an eye on eBay and second hand retailers. You'll probably get a few of the previous model appearing that are being sold on as the owner has just spent all his money on upgrading to the new version!

Jason

That may be me.

EA4500C7-CFAB-46C7-AE31-E73F3DA78C31.jpeg

Confirm its 2013 condition, with late era ohle flashes as preserved.

The only difference I see between 2013 and 2023 is the painted “Kings Cross” on the front is not present in 2013 (and not on the model).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

There is one (Hornby Dublo - Great Gathering) currently on ebay - Buy it Now - but they are asking £450 for it.

I nearly cancelled my preorder for this one, I am glad I didn't. It is a nice loco with all the modern features.

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully mine is here tomorrow, had an email from Hornby to say it’s on its way, does look very good.
I was tempted with Mallard until I saw in the display cabinet earlier in the week, really disappointed, nothing special at all.

On 21/12/2023 at 07:53, Shoey said:

many thanks 

Just released - Kernows (as I am sure others do) have SNG available at £320.99

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It seems I got lucky on 60009, I completely forgot I ordered it from another retailer whom phoned me today for payment.

I will have two after all, 60007/9 but i’ll call it quits there. 

As side of 007, there seems to be plenty of the rest around.

3 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Just released - Kernows (as I am sure others do) have SNG available at £320.99

I just checked kernows out of interest and it doesnt show up, but they have the other 5 in stock, qty’s between 5-10 available..

I must stop looking, ive got enough, though if anyone else is tempted Model Railways Direct has a couple of them available at £280.

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

It seems I got lucky on 60009, I completely forgot I ordered it from another retailer whom phoned me today for payment.

I will have two after all, 60007/9 but i’ll call it quits there. 

As side of 007, there seems to be plenty of the rest around.

I just checked kernows out of interest and it doesnt show up, but they have the other 5 in stock, qty’s between 5-10 available..

I must stop looking, ive got enough, though if anyone else is tempted Model Railways Direct has a couple of them available at £280.

I know this one makes it 5 Sir Nigel Gresleys in different colours and by different manufacturers. Two are the old Bachmann split chassis that I converted to DCC and an old 1980s one with the valences on which I upgraded from tender to loco driven. Trouble is although with my conversions they are good models, I wouldn't get much for them second hand, so I keep them.

Four for me…
my childhood Silver Fox in original livery and my sister’s Mallard in blue.

Golden Eagle in lined green and Silver King in the original silver grey.

Would like to add a Coronation A4, preferably Union of South Africa in steel-lettered coronation blue livery. For purely sentimental reasons, I could imagine one or other Dominion being added to that…

I now have one - purchased the last R30268 Mallard from Bure Valley Models yesterday, ostensibly to haul my Coronation set when (if?) it eventually appears. Mallard may not have pulled it in real life (Rule 1), but it used Coronation stock for its record-breaking run. And anyway, I couldn't decide between CoA, EoI, or DoC, or UoSA....

• Like 1