Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

I am impressed. The pantograph looks like an exception piece of model engineering.

It sounds like they have selected a very suitable decoder too. I had feared that they would use an otherwise low-end decoder with the necessary servo drive hardcoded.

Also nice to hear that they have provided a shortlist of recommended decoders with the required CV settings.

So the long wait has been so they could get the details just right.. I much prefer this to something produced to a deadline with known glaring faults included.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good video. Cleared a lot of the questions up. Does look quite impressive. I think for DCC users it certainly will have that playability and Wow factor, with the additional £39.95 decoder . Its something different and a first in UK outline after all.  The functionality for DC with the panel and light switches looks good too, but maybe not quite as remarkable . If you model the WCML then you are going to get one . The Dapol 68 was one that got me back into the current scene just because the real thing looked so good and the model very good . I've now got 2 of them !  The 90 I think without the DCC functionality will be less of an impulsive buy .

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

fire the director! 

I've had words with him and he's responded with "*** off and get your own video next time". ;)

I do have another video to edit where Chris and I open a cardboard box sitting on the back doorstep.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

Have to admit I was a bit of a disbeliever about the class 90 decoder, but having seen the Andy York video at Kernow the cost of the decoder I do not think exorbitant considering its functions, also at the time not realising it was a Zimo decoder. The 90 does appear to be  an excellent model and I have ordered one from my local model shop

Edited by brittannia
word missing
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys! Just been given confirmation that the Class 90's are very much nearly here, and apparently in the country - we're not sure when they're going to be ready to be shipped but we're expecting it to be very soon!

I'll post some pics up as and when they arrive! :)

Edited by Derails Models
Information source change
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Markwj said:

Hi little Dan 

does this mean decoders have arrived too?

thanks 

mark

Hi Mark - no confirmation either way but given that they are not going to release the one without the other, I would guess it means they are either here or very close to arriving! :)HTH 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Just out of curiosity why haven't Bachmann released a DCC Sound chip as well to go with their 90 alongside the DCC chip?

I may be wrong but haven't Bachmann backed out of the sound market?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

They are still releasing sound fitted models and have now decided to do both analogue and sound fitted examples in the same Livery. Although you may be referring to whether Bachmann obtain the sound files themselves which is something I don't know.

• Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

No I don't think they have as they are now releasing sound versions of their new releases in modern image which is why it is a bit strange they haven't provided one for the Class 90.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Markwj said:

They are still releasing sound fitted models and have now decided to do both analogue and sound fitted examples in the same Livery. Although you may be referring to whether Bachmann obtain the sound files themselves which is something I don't know.

A good idea to do both sound and non-sound releases.

we just need to convince them now to offered weathered and unweathered of the same releases.

16 hours ago, classy52 said:

No I don't think they have as they are now releasing sound versions of their new releases in modern image which is why it is a bit strange they haven't provided one for the Class 90.

they might be wanting to see what the uptake is first on the non-sound models to gauge demand. I cant think of any of the Bachmann first release batch of models from new tooling that has been fitted with sound at the factory. That tends to come later

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

they might be wanting to see what the uptake is first on the non-sound models to gauge demand. I cant think of any of the Bachmann first release batch of models from new tooling that has been fitted with sound at the factory. That tends to come later

The new Class 158 will be launched with sound fitted options from the start, in fact they have extended the sound fitted options to all the first release paint schemes of the model, not just the Regional Railways livery as first announced, which suggests they will be launching all new models with the option of sound from now on.  I suspect the lack of a sound fitted option for the 90 as of yet is due to having to focus their attention on getting a chip to power the pantograph and the fact they were in production when they announced the change in policy this year regarding sound fitment.

Hopefully Mr Bif will come up trumps with a sound chip as soon as they hit the shops, especially as Bachmann seem to be providing all the information needed to do so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GordonC said:

The new tooling class 40 did, with the disc head code version only available with sound.

• Agree 3