BRM September + BRM Bumper Pack

It's an interesting question Linners and I'll try to tackle it stage by stage.

As with many other exhibition goers we've all seen major masterpieces from clubs, groups of modellers or even individuals which are beyond the skills, resources and time that we as individuals may have and they can be quite literally awe-inspiring. My first encounter with Over Peover was a couple of years ago. When I first met John Ryan he was on a work 'phone call in his beautiful office at home, whether the caller knew that John was painting Mark 1 coaches on his desk during the call I wouldn't know of course. I politely sat and waited for John to finish the business but this was no uncomfortable hardship as there was much to study on the walls whether it be railway memorabilia or football paintings including some fantastic portrayals of the late, great George Best. In a sense I was already distracted from the main reason for the visit. After a good chat (he's a very amiable and down to earth chap) I went to the railway room and all was still; a cathedral without the choir and organ is still impressive which is a parallel to digesting how much work will have been expended on such a major work. I'm sure lucky visitors to Pete Waterman's railway experience the same initial impact that here is something that I could never afford to do but at least I'm lucky enough to have seen a seminal piece of work.

I haven't taken a picture which can convey the scope of the whole project as there's no single perspective which can summarise the project; the same as no-one can stand in the Vale scene at Pendon and capture the enormity of it in one shot; although I did try once.

attachicon.gifPanorama3s.jpg

Click to enlarge to 1920px wide

As any visitor to Pendon can testify it doesn't do it justice; it's not possible to. Although I've not seen the DVD footage I'm sure that will give a better opportunity to consider the scope of the layout but in the meantime here's a trip around the outer oval(s) behind a superb Lee Marsh Patriot thanks to Cliff Williams camerawork. The terminus and engine shed then sit within the centre of the layout room with connecting junctions to the longer runs of the ovals. There's some interesting visiting aliens within the video!

On my previous visit I was left to 'get on with it' and take photos which involved positioning trains, locos and stock and to jump in at the deep end on the controls of such a leviathan starts the blood draining to your feet. To position a Loveless DP1 and its train in place my only option (as I couldn't work out the fiddleyard controls!) was to carefully reverse a train of substantial value around the outdoor section of the layout, somewhat unsighted. I breathed a sigh of relief as I brought the last of the train back inside and could get the shot I wanted.

attachicon.gifOP13_mini.jpg

All I can hope to bring in still images is a flavour of a given portion of the layout or features within it. John's recaptured a flavour of his boyhood in the layout; I'm sure some would comment that it's 'cheque book modelling' but I'm glad that some people can and do bring together some fascinating projects and choose to share some of that with readers in the hobby and good luck to them to be able to do so; it doesn't make them any less of an enthusiast and flag-waver for the hobby than any of us simply because it pools the talents of several people.

Do I do such layouts justice with the camera? No; you can't. No matter if you're a person who doesn't like DCC sound or smoke units you can't help but smile in the presence of a logical extension of the 'boys toys' we grew up that started us on a modelling path.

Andy,

It was a silly question, but thank you for trying to answer it, Andrew P puts it very nicely, "fantastic insight". I have to remind myself that the layout is to 7mm scale, and without trying to be sycophantic your photographs have certainly given a flavour if not a good feel for what has been achieved. I keep saying wow, but still can't imagine the reality of layout of that size, scale and indeed populated by so many loco's and items of rolling stock. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Linners

I know this is not really the point under discussion, but I don't think anyone is missing anything by not having the DVD. It covers ground that is already well exposed (upcoming products and the cost increases in China), and it would have been better  as a properly written and edited article. Whatever David Haarhaus's strengths are, elocution and public speaking are not amongst them. It's a long, unscripted ramble which I found very hard to hear because he swallows so many words.  And the background music is ghastly and unnecessary.........

Glad I can't get mine to work then.

Bodge.

I know this is not really the point under discussion, but I don't think anyone is missing anything by not having the DVD. It covers ground that is already well exposed (upcoming products and the cost increases in China), and it would have been better  as a properly written and edited article. Whatever David Haarhaus's strengths are, elocution and public speaking are not amongst them. It's a long, unscripted ramble which I found very hard to hear because he swallows so many words.  And the background music is ghastly and unnecessary.........

Free on Facebook

• Administrators

The Bachmann DVD is free on the front of all issues so if you don't like it, well it didn't cost you anything. Personally, I enjoyed hearing it from the horse's mouth so to speak, but if you've read heavily on the subject then there isn't a lot new in it. Not everyone has though and seeing the loco, wagon and coach reduced to components was interesting.

The BRM TV DVD in the premium pack is a different beast with specially recorded films. Buy the pack and you get 2 disks, or coasters if you don't like either. :-)

I picked up BRM yesterday in Harburn Hobbies mainly for the feature on Max's superb layout set in Ayrshire and found plenty of other interesting articles. I really enjoyed reading about Troutbeck bridge and even better will get to see it at Barrow later this year. Look forward the the RMweb special but I might be a little biased on that front!

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed the Bachmann discussion. They are obviously doing a heavy PR job at the moment ,showing An A2 in bits both in this video and in new catalogue, in the hope that it will entice us to swallow their rather large price increases. However I watched the video on YouTube, which surprised me as I thought I would have to go out and buy the mag. May still do so but its somehow less important now, and I've already got RM this month which looks a particularly good edition. I thought David Haarhaus was actually pretty eloquent

“I am a complete magazine addict and have been for well over 30 years (covering numerous topics) but I think I might have just witnessed the future of model railway magazines.”

ThePurplePrimer – RMweb member

This is a direct quote from an RMweb member about the recent BRM Bumper Packs. These packs have been selling in WHSmiths and include the magazine (plus any associated supplements/gifts) and an additional DVD entitled 'BRM TV'. This DVD features exclusive content designed to work alongside the printed magazine.

We’ve taken a bit of flak for offering an additional product and I apologise to anyone who didn’t like or agree with our decision. However, as we explained, it was done as a market test to help us determine a longer term project for BRM.

Well, I’m pleased to report that the results of that test were favourable and now we’re planning to improve the BRM package every month.

Starting with BRM November 2014 (which goes on-sale on October 9th) EVERY issue of BRM will include a DVD (or alternative gift on some issues). These DVDs will be titled ‘BRM TV’ and will work alongside the printed magazine: whenever possible on of the main layouts in the magazine will be filmed (including interviews with the owners), Practical BRM articles will be linked to what’s in the magazine and product news will complement what you read. We’ll be bringing the magazine to life! Here’s an image of a recent BRM TV DVD.

post-22012-0-83170200-1408094206_thumb.jpg

BRM will no longer be just a printed magazine; it will become a multi-media product that consists of the magazine, plus any associated supplements and an exclusive high-quality DVD. Here’s an example of the kind of package you can expect.

post-22012-0-54100300-1408094166_thumb.png

Everyone who buys BRM will benefit from this new package – UK newsstand, export, subscribers and Digital Edition customers. The cost of BRM will be increasing to £4.25 per issue, to cover the basic production costs of the DVD itself.

Digital Edition prices will also be affected by a small increase as from October 3rd.

However, you can beat the price increase by subscribing now, as our current offer means you can get the magazine for just £10.49 a quarter (£3.50 an issue), plus a Scenery Gift Pack worth £50. Click here to subscribe. Or, subscribe to our Digital Edition for just £26.99 a year (£2.25 an issue).

We are confident that anyone who has seen the BRM TV footage will agree that this is a huge step forward for BRM, and for railway modelling magazines in general.

Ben Jones, Managing Editor

PS – We were originally planning to make this announcement on September 1st, but we have a house advert in the Midland Railex Showguide appearing before that, hence we wanted you to be the first to know!

• Administrators

Quick Q Ben, will existing digital subscribers get the extra (currently at 99p) FOC from the November issue?

Yes Ian - as from the November issue, the DVD content will form part of the Digital Edition subs package, as well as single issues. 

Don't be silly. Next months guest editors will be nailing them to the covers. We'll be providing them with hammers and 6 inch nails....

Can I have the Nails afterwards for my track Laying please?

Bodge

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, what scale are you tracklaying in Andy? :)

This looks great as the DVD was definitely worth watching, I might have a look at extending my digital subscription if I can. I'll be interested in how the "alternative gift on some issues" works out for digital subscribers.If it's a physical one, feel free to pop over with mine, I'll put the kettle on.

Blimey, what scale are you tracklaying in Andy? :)

This looks great as the DVD was definitely worth watching, I might have a look at extending my digital subscription if I can. I'll be interested in how the "alternative gift on some issues" works out for digital subscribers.If it's a physical one, feel free to pop over with mine, I'll put the kettle on.

Its OK its OO Finescale, otherwise it would be 9 inch nails,(hence the nick name) hahhah

Bodge

• RMweb Gold

I hope so, otherwise stuff will fall out. 

If unhappy please write to one of next month's Guest Editors. ;)

What good will writing to MRJ be?

Anyway I'm afraid I popped the BRM back on the shelf this month. Personally the 'bumper' content passed me by but I'm delighted for those who enjoyed it. The advantage of not being a subscriber I suppose.

• RMweb Gold

Of course, with the new digital format, the 'Letters to the Editor (s)' feature will be replaced with sending in selfie phone footage, where you can really vent your feelings!

In addition, all those with negative points about other's layouts/models can send in clips of how they've done it correctly...

Of course, with the new digital format, the 'Letters to the Editor (s)' feature will be replaced with sending in selfie phone footage, where you can really vent your feelings!

In addition, all those with negative points about other's layouts/models can send in clips of how they've done it correctly...

OOOOOOO  can we back date it then, hahhahaha

Bodge,

I was discussing today with one of my colleagues about the forthcoming threat of Vines, 6-second rants to the editor should be entertaining.

Doesn'tlastmonth'scorrespondentknowanythingaboutmodelling,alllayoutsshouldgrowbonsaitreesandhaveGMscalevegetablesintheallotmentsTonyHartshouldmotoriseMorphsowecanhaverealfootplatecrews.

I will brain the first Viner I see doing a 6-second fly-by of every layout at Warley. ;)

Archived