Brinkly Works! Weathering and self-designed 3D printed models

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Nick. On 'the other side' we have  kids at home, but I'm still out working with NHS. S attempts home working while keeping an eye on our primary age son who needs a lot of help home schooling. Secondary age daughter plods along herself. Appreciate the quick work teachers put in to allow this to happen, but  I feel slightly guilty leaving them during the day....

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2020 at 18:18, Brinkly said:

The steel wagon was a Bachmann RTR item, which I repainted last year: chassis awaits a coat of black paint, but I will do that separately another day.

That’s quite a battered example for your modelling era, isn’t it? Are you changing to blue diesels? :)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Regularity said:

That’s quite a battered example for your modelling era, isn’t it? Are you changing to blue diesels? :)

These went downhill fairly quickly so a tired example in the late 50s/early 60s is not out of place.......

• Agree 1

On 25/03/2020 at 23:38, Brinkly said:

Greetings all,

I hope you and your respective families are all well. I must say this is all rather extraordinary.  I've been banned from going into school (as of Friday) due to my asthma; although, I have still be setting daily lessons and trying to come up with ways of educating the children which don't involve staring at a screen all day long! 

Anyway, I am not going to lie, I have had a significant increase in free time and rather than watching rubbish on TV, I've made the most of 'self-isolation'. 

On Saturday, I decided to grab the bull by the horns and have a go at a brass wagon kit: Frogmore AA13 GWR brake van. I picked this kit up at the first Scaleforum I went to, either 2008 or 2009(!) and thought it was about time to build it. I have to say, it has been a real pig and should come with a health warning! It really isn't for the fainthearted. 

I have 2 of these started and stopped.
Once we sell, and get into our new place I "may" look at them again........and I thought it was just me!
Talk of disillusioning.....but we soon learn!

Khris

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2020 at 15:05, Regularity said:

I don't find the blue diesel era that appealing. Now, North Road circa 1997 (when I was 10) I do find interesting! The crossover from BR intercity livery over to Great Western Trains green/ivory and class 47s in Virgin red I do like! Trust you are well old boy?

• RMweb Gold

Greetings, 

Thank you for all your comments and likes - much appreciated. 

I spent a good couple of hours today tidying and sorting my work bench. Further time was then spent working out a batting order for locomotives and rolling stock which require completion. Last year, I pretty much completed all my P4 wagons, some require numbering, but bar that they are done. Fortunately, I have less projects to complete in 00, having not gone down the route of batch-building stock. 

Tonight's job was to move the Parkside PO wagon on a little bit further. I decided to build this wagon as one of the ex LMS vehicles built to RCH specifications during the 1920s and 30s. As far as I can make out, bar the doors in the wagon floors (LMS wagons had doors in the floor and LNER wagons didn't) the only significant difference is the end stanchions. Both LMS and LNER examples were fitted with metal T stanchions apposed to wooden uprights. Throughout their working lives, axle boxes and wheels might have changed, but nothing major. I even think the buffers are identical... The late John Hayes' book, The 4mm Coal Wagon, and Essery's LMS Wagons Volume One are both excellent reference sources; although, I do have a set of Don Rowland's wagon photographs, two of which can been seen in the background.

image2_(3).jpeg.151e1d0c852b08882b97e27f3edf79b6.jpeg

Just lacking a glass of good beer!

2143852109_image3(2).jpeg.ebdac37a91b4adb5867d94ad14f981f7.jpeg

Door springs are the only parts left to fit, although, I'm tempted to replicate the metal strapping on the top of the body work from a Craig Welsh etch I have kicking around. 

Anyway, hope everyone is well and keeping safe. 

Best wishes to you all,

Nick. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

Trust you are well old boy?

Yes, thank you. Unfortunately I am able to work from home, which is good in that I get paid, but less so in that I don’t have the free time some have just now!

I like the blue diesels because when I was 10, that’s what they were like. Don’t want to model them, though.

• RMweb Premium

I too have been wrestling with a Frogmore Toad. I wanted to produce an AA23 van for the British Railways 1963 stock that we run on Chris Lamacraft's Hemyock because there are photos of, probably the same, bauxite-liveried van in several books. Foolishly, I thought the Frogmore kit the best route.  

On starting, I thought that the rivets were a little heavy and not necessarily in the right places, so I replaced the side sheets with my own versions, hunched out with a GW Models rivet press. I also replaced the side stanchions with T section, which on the AA23 went straight down to the bottom of the sole bar, rather than being turned on to it. I fitted the more modern handrail supports, with L section brass, but they were a real hassle. I also struggled to get the body to fold up nicely, but managed to get it square and fill the gaps. I was making good progress until I realised that the footsteps to the verandah door are all wrong too. My enthusiasm waned rather after that and I still haven't finished it.

The photos show the van after the first waft of etch primer, with the roof loosely placed on. I've not yet fitted the verandah doors, because I wanted to paint the inside first. I am tempted to model the van with one of the doors open, just to prove that it isn't the Ratio or an RTR version, but they wouldn't have run like that and working hinges would look clumsy. 

Your thread will give me the impetus to persevere!

David

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing your work: it is rather good and gives me hope for my own van! You have made a very good job of it and I hope mine can get half-way as good as that!

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Greetings all,

Back in the summer of 2014, before the announcement of the DJ Models 14xx, I started work on my dear old Dapol model. A detailing pack was obtained from Mainly Trains (now under the Wizard Models umbrella) and chassis components from Comet. With the announcement of the new RTR model, I didn't get any further than part-detailing the body. 

Before moving onto new projects, I thought I would complete all part-build items first. Bar a couple of MK1 stock, the 14xx was the only part-built item in 00 remaining, so I thought it would be good to get it finished. It would also provide me with some chassis building experience too; something which I lack!

For Horrabridge, at least one auto-working is required; although, there were times when two workings were planned into the timetable and could be seen crossing either at Bickleigh or Horrabridge. However, these were subject to change, dependent on whether 'auto-trained' crews were available. 

The era for operation is 1955-1958 and 1408 will become part of the 1955 fleet along with 4410, but more on that another day. 

IMG_4040.jpg.f3a24ca77f2c8d23b4cd28a5fff0856a.jpg

I plan to build my model to replicate 1408 in this condition; 1408 and Auto Trailer W157W at Tavistock while forming the 12.33 service to Plymouth, 19/12/55 - Hugh Ballantyne

1881536494_image2(4).jpeg.8662b3ce0c6688c7e99d06d2a499b480.jpeg

Picking up from where I left off 6 years ago has been interesting to say the least! Through discussions with CK, I've decided to remove the over-sized lamp brackets and re-do the pipework under the running plate, as both are a little chunky. Tim very kind popped some 0.75mm strip in an envelope for me, for which I am most obliged! Further detailing work will also include moving the toolbox on the left hand side of the locomotive a little further forward to replicate the prototype. 

image1_(3).jpeg.2f0774a0cc89c17e958131e8cb19d54d.jpeg

This shows early stages of construction; I've opted for a ridged chassis with floating trailing wheels. I wanted to keep it simple the first time round!

image3_(3).jpeg.b255dbf0b455f59db39fae62b937f9be.jpeg

Markits wheels fitted and hand-pushing trials began. A slight tight-spot was detected on the front axle. I took axle out and carefully cleared the bearing a second time with my 1/8 reamer, which solved the problem. 

I'm not totally satisfied with the Comet GB5 gearbox. I ended up with 38:1 gearing, which I now think was an error. I'm tempted to go down the route of a High-Level box with 50+:1 gearing; however, I'll stick with this for the time being. If nothing else, I've learnt how to build a gearbox and developing my future preferences!  It has been partnered with a Mashima 1020 motor, which I plan to (try) and fit a Branchline's 10mm flywheel too in the near future. 

The chassis now runs and seems to be quite smooth. Lots of running in is required - the motor did have a good hour in each direction before fitting the gearbox. 

My plan is to fit the pick-up pads later on today and see how the loco performs on a length of track without the wandering leads getting in the way. 

Anyway, thank you for reading. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

nice, I have made a start on my Dapol,airfix one a while back, I have a motor and chassis for it but comet have no stock of the detail kit now, I expect they will not restock it as the hattons 14xx is available, I must say my hattons 14xx is not the best , runs fine one day and not the next, so I may finish mine soon, look forward to your progress .

Edited by mswjr
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well articles on new chassis for Airix 14xx are a bit like Glasgow buses: You wait ages for one then two come along at once. I'm following your build with interest Nick - you will understand that my interest is not exclusively academic  :) This is looking good.

Alex

• Like 1

The Airfix 14xx saga has been going on for a couple of decades now; I had the first example along with its Airfix companion coach in my OO days.  It certainly looked good to me after the Hornby of the day but its performance was questionable then.

Brian.:mellow:

• RMweb Gold

For anyone considering fitting a Comet or High Level 14XX chassis to the Hattons/DJM body, please remember that both chassis kits were designed for the Airfix (later Hornby) body. You will need to modify the chassis side frames (ie. remove some brass), if fitting to the Hattons/DJM body.

Given the complexity of the High Level chassis, where the internal motion brackets sometimes also act as chassis spacers, the modifications might be easier if using the Comet chassis (or indeed Perseverance, if you can find one).

My blog here - 

shows the work I did to fit a Perseverance chassis to the Hattons/DJM body.

I am aware that a Scalefour Society member also retro-fitted an already complete High Level chassis to a Hattons/DJM body, but (to me, anyway), it seemed like quite a lot of work, given that the chassis had already been built. It should be possible to do a bit more easily, if the High Level chassis hasn't yet been started, but much care will be needed to match the modified side frames with the body, and also to ensure that the modifications to the side frames don't compromise the construction sequence of the rest of the chassis.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Informative/Useful 3

Guest Jack Benson

Tim,

I have followed both Nick's and your exploits with the 14XX with great interest, may I ask, with the benefit of hindsight, if starting again, would you take the DJM/Hattons route rather than the Airfix/Hornby and if so, why?

Thank you

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Tim,

I have followed both Nick's and your exploits with the 14XX with great interest, may I ask, with the benefit of hindsight, if starting again, would you take the DJM/Hattons route rather than the Airfix/Hornby and if so, why?

Thank you

I'd definitely take the Hattons/DJM route again (and probably will do so, as I have another boxed example awaiting attention).

The reason for this is that the body on the Hattons/DJM one is so much better than the Airfix (now Hornby) example, needing much less improvement work, if any.

In saying this, I'm assuming that the RTR chassis on the Hattons/DJM example will be rubbish (none of the examples I've owned, including the one I sent back, have run well enough).

Granted, getting the Hattons/DJM one ready to accept a replacement chassis does require you to partially dismantle the body, including the fine wire conduits, in order to release the motor and the mazak weight that surrounds it. I tried to avoid doing that with my first 14XX and with hindsight, I think I'll go for the careful dismantling option next time.

None of the etched chassis kits currently available for the 14XX (ie. Comet and High Level) are designed for the Hattons/DJM model. They are, I understand, designed for the Airfix (now Hornby) example.

I had a Perseverance chassis for my first 14XX, but that's pretty similar to the Comet one. In that particular case, it wasn't too difficult to work out how much brass to remove from the chassis side frames, in order to match the Hattons/DJM body.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

One other thing, for anyone contemplating building an etched chassis for the 14XX (whether in OO, EM or P4), there will be the option of building it as a rigid chassis, or compensated or sprung.

I have little experience with springing a chassis, but I do advocate compensation, even in OO, to improve electrical pick up and general running.

As such, it's worth remembering that fitting compensation to a chassis going under a 14XX (and especially a Hattons/DJM body, with it's rather lovely representation of internal valve gear), is likely to require the gearbox to drive the rear driven axle, as putting the gearbox on the leading driven axle will result in the loss of some (or all) of the daylight under the boiler.

This, then leads one down the route of fitting twin-beam compensation, which is a bit more complex than the basic, single beam variety. This isn't a problem with the High Level chassis kit, because it is designed to be built either rigid or with twin beam compensation, but if you are seeking to fit a compensated Comet chassis under a 14XX, you will have to fabricate a twin-beam compensation system of your own, as this is not provided for in the chassis kit itself.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Tim,

Thank you

Hi Jack,

The only reason I'm working on the Airfix body is that it was the first 'proper' locomotive I bought about 20 odd years ago, having had a footplate ride on 1420 on the South Devon Railway and there is a certain amount of sentimental attachment to it. I certainly won't bother doing any more Airfix 14xx bodies again!  

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

I can't believe it has been over six weeks since the last updated this thread. :blush:

During the lockdown, I've been slowly working through part-finished models. The majority of the models I've been working on have been wagons, which needed buffers or tie bars. I must have completed (bar painting) a good 20-30 vehicles over the past weeks. I'll put some examples up once I've painted them. The 14xx chassis is also on hold - the gearbox seems to have a bit of a tight-spot. I need to order a replacement from High Level and try again! <_<

In between freight vehicles, I have been working on a few items of passenger rolling stock; I was finding it a bit boring just working on wagons. 

Quite a while ago, DRAG (my local Scalefour Society area group) acquired the late Mike Casey's Bodmin layout. The track and baseboards weren't in great shape, so the decision was made a couple of years ago not to continue with the project; however, I had a few items which I'd started to run on the layout. One such project was an SR P-Set. The only work I had begun on the Hornby coaches was to substitute the 00 wheels for P4 ones. 

I've always liked the ex LSWR, and Southern Railway in the South West and modelling say Corfe Castle or Swanage station has always been quite high on my list. In one of Iain Rice's books, there is a rather good plan depicting what might have been at Shaftsbury. Anyway, I digress! 

Back to the coaches! In MRJs 213 and 214, Peter Swift wrote a rather good article detailing the improvements that can be made to Hornby's Maunsell coaching stock. 

The main area of butchery is the internal corridor windows. According to Peter, the windows are 1mm too high from floor to waist height and need lowering by 3mm. Some Maunsell, pre-1935 built examples (I think!), were fitted with drop-lights above the compartment doors. I set to work with a selection of files and suitable plastic strip. Once complete, I used Squadron White filler to cover any gaps. I also removed the armrests inside the compartment, as I wanted to fit a paper moquette seat covering.

IMG_4239.jpg.8284e9206f3976c8c64659da057c1ee5.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg.f58193b002cb1f73c0ef27cdbb5653d0.jpg

(Please excuse the crude close-ups, but it illustrates the work!)

Each interior received a couple of light coats of Games Workshop Grey Seer primer. In the future, I would use their Bleech Bone primer: this is cream and would mean the interior backheads in the compartments wouldn't need painting. 

I brush painted the woodwork in Humbrol enamel No 62 and the backheads in a satin cream (Precision GWR coach cream). Floors received a coat of blue/grey, which seemed to match prototype pictures. 

IMG_4528.jpg.e9c45f23abf211efd91422e01fa988e5.jpg

I quite like detailing and decided that I wanted to represent the compartment interior. For this, I used Peco's Kitmaster interiors; although, I scanned the originals and printed them. On other coaches, I had a stash of professionally scanned and printed interiors, but, unfortunately, I  ran out a couple of weeks ago. Must re-order! 

To make life easier, I cut the Peco seat and backhead into three pieces, seat, rear and backhead. I glued these into place with Tacky Glue, which is good quality PVA. The first-class compartments even gained a carpet! 

IMG_4653.jpg.2bc4d3e4f5a4aa1d1e10d01d1d32dec8.jpg

Maunsell coaching stock also had rather nice panelling along the corridors, and this is quite noticeable from the outside. To represent this, I painted an economy label in cream paint, cut into strips and then stuck it to the side of the coach; finally, a couple of coats of varnish were applied to help seal it in place. 

One final detail will be the addition of some passengers. I have some of Alan's (Modelu) rather charming seated passengers to paint and fit, but more on that another day. 

Externally, one of the Maunsell coaches required a full repaint - one had SR markings on the body and, despite careful work, there were, small, noticeable markings on the body where some of the original printed door signs had been removed. I'll put this in a later post. 

Thanks for reading. Please do comment! Feedback is greatly appreciated! It makes me a better modeller! :)

Cheers, :drink_mini:

Nick.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening Brinkers. 

Top stuff as always. 

As a final touch,I would recommend a polish of the coach sides with a good quality car polish applied using a cotton bud. 

It will provide a nice finish. 

Rob.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just come to this thread Nick as I was tempted in by the Maunsell P Set banner. You have made a great job of enhancing the innards. Very aspirational to us SR chaps (well me anyway), and it looks relatively simple which pleases me also.

Other work right back from the start of the thread, is inspirational, especially the Wagons/Vans. I usually just manage the LMS Buffer replacement, some of those little stickers and chalky Decals and a bit of weathering. Seeing what you have added to items tells me I know little about Wagons and Vans and need to get some good reference materials.

So thank you for some inspiration. I love just pottering around with stock and the occasional loco' but 'fear' painting anything 'seriously' such as a green loco with lining and that sort of think (e.g a Bulleid Pacific). Maybe one day I shall take the plunge. Black engines, no problem!

So glad that things are OK with you and yours and the usual suspects posting on here. I could have finished my layout during the last two months, maybe even should have, but...….

All the very best and I look forward to further inspiring works.

Sincerely, Phil (Mad Duck).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

The 14xx chassis is also on hold - the gearbox seems to have a bit of a tight-spot. I need to order a replacement from High Level and try again!

That's unfortunate and seems quite an extreme thing for you to have to do, are you sure you can't dismantle the gearbox and start again?

I have some spare steel rod if you need some (ie. that which the gears rotate on).

An encounter in a public park at 2 metres distance (each bring their own thermos) could be offered if further information is required.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Those seats and interiors are exquisite, Nick. I can just see myself having a good nap in the corner on the last train home (known as 'the boozer' on some branches I believe!).

Bleech Bone primer

I know the SR were slow, but that's a bit excessive :D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3