Hattons announce OO Gauge King

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Simple Question - if there is indeed such a thing!

This relates to the items listed HK09 and HK14 of 6023 and 6024 respectively. In the flesh, 6024 would appear to have been 'trimmed on top' for mainline operation, whereas 6023 hasn't, having 'regular' cab, dome and chimney heights, but with no roof hatches. Both of the models are advertised as the 'as preserved' versions, so my query is what 'configuration' is being modelled in each case, in particular 6023 which i remember in boilered and somewhat incomplete at Didcot in 2010?

6023 has the option of being both regular height for preserved railways, and lower height for mainline.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been that date for a while now. I still think that's being very optimistic, considering we haven't even seen a first ep yet.

An email to Dave Mylett might pay dividends.

• RMweb Premium

An email to Dave Mylett might pay dividends.

I'm happy to wait. Patience is a virtue lol

Is there going to be a recess in the cab side, for the numberplate - like on the 14XX?

According to a quote on the Hattons Facebook page, yes it will.

IIRC, the same recesses were present on Dapol's 52, and no-one complained or even battered an eyelid. That or my memory's gone skewed.

Regards,

Matt

EDIT: ^ Load of rubbish ^

• RMweb Premium

IIRC, the same recesses were present on Dapol's 52, and no-one complained or even battered an eyelid. That or my memory's gone skewed.

Regards,

Matt

There aren't any recess on my pair of Westerns.

I wonder if the recesses have been specified by Hattons rather than DJM?  

Regards,

Matt

There aren't any recess on my pair of Westerns.

I wonder if the recesses have been specified by Hattons rather than DJM?  

...or my eyes are going (Getting glasses next week after a recent eye test)

http://www.ehattons.com/69079/Dapol_4D_003_004_Class_52_D1058_Western_Nobleman_BR_blue_with_full_yellow_panel/StockDetail.aspx

They used a white doted line rather than a recess. Whoops.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Hilux - no sorry no matter how what or why a recess is a bad idea, however it turns out. So I disagree with your comment to wait and see.

It's better to state this now in the chance this can be stopped, because I'm convinced it will be one of things that will be debated as a flaw on a very fine looking model if it goes ahead. Anyone that that has fitted etched plates will foresee the problems here.

Neil

I don't think we've ever seen a perfect model so if the recess is the only big one being complained about so far I think this model is a winner. I agree with Hilux, to condemn a model before you've seen it is very short sighted

• RMweb Premium

I don't think we've ever seen a perfect model so if the recess is the only big one being complained about so far I think this model is a winner. I agree with Hilux, to condemn a model before you've seen it is very short sighted

Well if we were that short sighted it wouldn't matter a fig about the recesses...........we'd never see them  :blind:

:D

.... to condemn a model before you've seen it is very short sighted

It's a bit like The Satanic Verses. Hardly anyone read it, but it didn't stop them burning a few copies.

I read that book from cover to cover. It was unfathomable - the biggest waste of time since "How To Learn French" was translated into French.

Do the people that consider recesses for cabside numberplates a good idea do any railway modelling or have ever renumbered and renamed a model locomotive in their lives? I seriously doubt it. All after-market engraved plates are designed to go on a perfectly flat surface. The idea that we can easily fill the recess in with a bit of card is mind boggling. If such a recess is to be featured, it seems to me it is there to help the assemblers in China position a thick plastic reproduction of an engraved plate.

• RMweb Gold

Do the people that consider recesses for cabside numberplates a good idea do any railway modelling or have ever renumbered and renamed a model locomotive in their lives? I seriously doubt it. All after-market engraved plates are designed to go on a perfectly flat surface. The idea that we can easily fill the recess in with a bit of card is mind boggling. If such a recess is to be featured, it seems to me it is there to help the assemblers in China position a thick plastic reproduction of an engraved plate.

I fervently hope that this is not the case.One recession in a decade is quite enough.

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at my Dapol 52 and not a recess in sight unless you include the head code panels.

Mike

Archived