For me this is the best issue since the revamp.  Sandside's Bacup and the other featured layouts come across very well, Stubby's toilet is to die for [that's a compliment, btw] and in the new products section Karhedron's N gauge GWR Flying Banana is plugged to good effect.  The juxtaposition of Nigel Burkin's piece on building a DBSO complements Newbryford's survey of NR vehicles well.  Tanya Jackson's piece on liveries is well thought through and she points out wisely the limitations of colour photography and printing.  Redgate's article on installing sound was particularly timely as I was most impressed by the asthmatic wheeze uttered by the Super D on Terry ECMR's delightful Earls Court at RMweb Live.

Gentle reader, you will note that I have taken pains to refer to contributors and others by their RMweb names.  Am I the only reader to be astonished, nay gobsmacked, by the total omission of members' aliases from this issue of all issues?  Of late their pseudonyms have been quoted in the magazine, usually tucked away in little fact boxes at the end of the article with other key facts about the contributor.  Where were they this time?  Nowhere!  Now I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I do question the logic of this decision, conscious or otherwise.  The fictional Sir Humphrey Appleby would have described it as "courageous".  The very real Ron White, doyen of Colour-Rail, might have asked, as he did of the reliveried Blue Pullman, "What crass clown thought this an improvement?". 

I asked Someone Very Senior on Sunday about the reasoning for the excision of screen names.  The reply expressed a wish tor RMweb not to come across as a clique.  With the greatest possible respect, I think that this fear is misplaced.  Surely RMweb is a community?  There may be cliques within it but I wouldn't know about that.  As Groucho Marx might have said, I would not wish to be in a clique that would have me as a member.  Like all organisations, RMweb has a diverse membership in terms of age range, skills level, knowledge and temperament.  We have our prima donnas, misanthropes and pillocks and from what I read the other day we might even have an arse!  Doesn't sound much like a clique to me.

I should like to ask 61661 and his team to consider a greater recognition of RMweb and its members in future.  One idea is borrowed from the Scalefour Society, whose magazine contains a digest of postings on the Society's web forum.  Some interesting discussions on here may deserve a wider audience.  Perhaps the Question of the Month could be posed to RMweb members as well or instead of those on Faecesbook?

Chris

Someone Very Senior

Oi; I'm not that old :P or senior. ;)

Yes, we probably should have slipped a tie-in in there but hopefully this issue shows that RMweb does have some very fine modelling for people to engage with and is looking outward rather than just preaching to the already converted and institutionalised. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I really enjoyed this month's mag, and I've swiftly come to the conclusion that the photography in BRM is well above that of the others I subscribe to. As mentioned above, the colour article was especially thought provoking, and of course, I loved the layouts.

Definitely one of my favourites. Unfortunately, I didn't dare ask any of the contributors to autograph my iPad at the show in case they did do.

Thanks for kind comments about the October issue Chrisf. We were really pleased with how it turned out, especially given that opening various articles up to a public vote could have resulted in a very different issue. The preferences shown by RMweb members generally coincided with our own personal choices from the poll shortlist, so it was good to know that we were thinking along the same lines.

With regard to using RMweb user names, Andy Y has already answered this point succinctly, but as I'd been asked, I thought I'd better respond with the BRM angle. I fully understand why, as a committed RMweb user ( I wouldn't go as far as AY and say 'institutionalised'!) you'd want user names included in the articles. But to the wider magazine reading public they don't mean a great deal and, looking at it from the other angle, I think it's important to try and get the best modellers from the forum more widely recognised by their real names. In the first couple of issues after the big BRM revamp last year, RMweb user names and biogs were included, but it was noticeable that they disappeared quickly. As I was still working for another magazine at that point, I don't know what was behind that change, but I suspect there might have been some resistance from non-RMweb members. Andy Y might be able to tell us more.

A digest of the best comments might work, but would they have the same effect used out of context? I believe that the magazine and the forum perform very different functions, and so what is a very lively discussion on here, would probably look dry and outdated if you read them in the magazine a few weeks later. I'm not averse to it though - it's something for us to discuss at our next content planning meeting.

Finally, I think the suggestion of posing a 'question of the month' to RMweb members is a good one. I chose to do it via facebook because it is, by its very nature, ideally suited to short, punchy comments. I think we've all seen what happens on this and other forums when contentious issues are raised! My only fear is that it would turn into an extended discussion about issues already being discussed elsewhere on the site, rather than a series of short comments that we can use in the mag. Hope this helps.

Ben

Thank you for your response, Ben 616661.

Clearly we are in agreement that the best modellers on the forum should have their work recognised more widely outside it.  There must be magazine readers who also lurk on RMweb and haven't made the connection that, for example, Jason Thomas is also Sandside - or he was until yesterday!   As there is a link between the magazine and the forum there can be little harm in reinforcing the link by crediting authors with their forum names as well as their "proper" ones!

When I get the next issue of Scalefour News - any day now, I'm told - I will send you a copy of their forum digest to illustrate more clearly what I meant. 

OK then, i think we're done.  I'll go and annoy somebody else now.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I've really enjoyed this issue, shows you that we've got good taste when it comes to making choices for aricles ;)

I'm not sure you could really provide a meaningful 'digest' of such a huge & dynamic forum as this!

I must admit I thought the RMweb user names were unncessary; perhaps an indication that the layout (or other feature) is on RMweb with a 'tiny url' reference would be better. The viewer then can make the connection to the user name themselves....

I must confess i don't generally buy BRM but this edition i really want a copy. Other than WH Smith & model shops where can i get it?

Non of the big supermarkets have it but they do have every other modelling mag. Strange......

Cheers

Chris

Got mine from the supermarket. But there weren't many left. Maybe they just sold out already...... It's that good...

Got mine from the supermarket. But there weren't many left. Maybe they just sold out already...... It's that good...

Cheers L&Y

Ive got a copy now. an unexpected trip to a shopping center with a WH Smiths. All the supermarkets i tried didnt have a space for it& said it wasnt one they stocked. Not to worry ive got it now & its ace!!!

Jasons Bacup comes across really well in the photos & i like the idea of the content being chosen be the readers as a one off now & again.

Cheers

Chris

Finally picked up my copy today from smiths, not had a chance to read it all properly yet but I'm very impressed. Good work guys.

A special high 5 to the person that chose the picture beneath the editors ramble ( ;) ) at the start of the mag. I've never had any of my items mentioned or pictured in a publication before, and to see my model of 87101 that Alan painted and detailed for me was a nice suprise. Considering it's usually the most up to date models that grace a mag, that's not bad going for a 25 year old Lima offering :)

Archived