N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Following the announcement that the N-Gauge Pendolino Project is working with Rapido in partnership to produce a crowd-funded Class 390 EMU we have decided to begin a new thread in the Rapido section.  The other thread will be closed.  The full announcement is below.

post-420-0-90287300-1415632278_thumb.jpg

(Tilt shift photo of Pendolinos at Euston courtesy Stuart Axe)

N-GAUGE PENDOLINO TO BE PRODUCED BY RAPIDO OF CANADA

The N Gauge Pendolino project has reached agreement with Rapido trains of Canada to produce their planned model of the Virgin Class 390 Pendolino electric multiple unit in British N scale 1:148.

The model will be built in Rapido's factory in China. Rapido are a highly respected name in North American model railroading and are no strangers to Briitsh modellers, having recently launched their first British model, the APT-E.

The specifications will include power cars at both ends, directional lighting, illuminated table lamps in first class coaches, pick-ups on all wheels and power-conducting couplers to ensure good running. If the funding targets are reached it is hoped that a prototype can be laser-scanned by February 2015, with the production cycle taking approxmately 12 months.

To be financially viable, at least 1000 models have to be produced. Rapido will fund the production of 200 units, to be sold internationally at a retail price TBA, while British modellers are asked to support the project via a Kickstarter crowd funding scheme to produce the remaining 800. The Kickstarter page will be going live very shortly.

The model will incorporate powered driving cars at each end, with a full and correct 9-car train as the basic model at a pledge price of £255. Ten different numbersets will be on offer. A shorter 5-car variant will also be available, comprising each of the basic vehicle types, for a pledge of £195 along with a set of two trailer cars (£30 pledge)to create a prototypical "strengthened" 11-car train. In a first for British N all powered versions will also be available with DCC sound factory-fitted in both power cars, for an extra £95 pledged, if demand is sufficient.

Project organiser Ben Ando said: "We are delighted to be working with with Rapido, who've certainly created a stir with their OO model of the APT-E. It's great that they are keen to get into the British N Gauge market, and we would urge anyone interested in a model of this iconic train, at an amazingly low price for the specification on offer, to support us."

Mike Hale, the other project organiser, added: "It's taken a fair amount of work to reach this stage and we are very excited that our Kickstarter page will be going live soon. I believe Rapido's entry into the UK market - with the option of factory-fitted sound, which is a first for British N - is not just good news for those of us who want an N-Gauge Pendolino but good news for British N Gauge modellers as a whole."

Jason Shron, managing director of Rapido Trains, said: "The APT-E is an iconic and amazing train, and we're really excited about our OO model. Given the shared tilt technology the Pendolino is, almost literally, the APT-E's grandchild so producing an N-scale model of this train makes perfect sense.

"It also falls into line with Rapido's desire to increase our N gauge output on both sides of the Atlantic. So yes we're excited/thrilled/delighted (insert your happy word here) to be involved," he added.

For more information go to www.ngaugependolino.com or http://www.rapidotrains.com

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The model will incorporate powered driving cars at each end, with a full and correct 9-car train as the basic model at a pledge price of £255. Ten different numbersets will be on offer. A shorter 5-car variant will also be available, comprising each of the basic vehicle types, for a pledge of £195 along with a set of two trailer cars (£30 pledge)to create a prototypical "strengthened" 11-car train. In a first for British N all powered versions will also be available with DCC sound factory-fitted in both power cars, for an extra £95 pledged, if demand is sufficient.

Hi

What happens if I pledge for a sound fitted version and there isn't sufficient demand?

What happens to my extra £95?

Which sound decoder are you planning on using?

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi

What happens if I pledge for a sound fitted version and there isn't sufficient demand?

What happens to my extra £95?

Which sound decoder are you planning on using?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

I'll let Jason answer about which sound decoders they use.

If we only got an incredibly low number of DCC sound orders then we would refund pledgers, but we do not need many sound orders to make it worthwhile (and I would like sound on at least one!).

Cheers, Mike

Hi guys,

The minimum for sound is one. 

So don't worry - if you order sound and the project goes ahead, you will get sound.

And I've been very impressed by Legomanbiffo's Voyager sounds so if he and I can come to an arrangement to use his Pendolino sounds, I'm sure it would be awesome.

-Jason

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bomag,

I don't know much about DCC Sound myself, so you could be right, but I have just had a quick google and I am not convinced you are.

The Pendolino Kickstarter is offering factory fitted DCC Sound in both power cars for £95.

The cheapest sound chip I could find was a Zimo with sugar cube speaker for approx £90 and this obviously is a single speaker/decoder and unfitted.

The typical price for an N Gauge loco fitted with DCC sound seems to be around £295, which is nearly £200 more than you'd pay for an unfitted model.  Wickness models are offering a Dapol HST book set (power car, 2 trailers, dummy power car) at £410, which is £235 more than RRP, and as far as I can see it only has sound in the powered car, not both.

I can't find any British factory fitted N, but looking at OO the best comparison seemed to be the Bachmann Class 37/7s - without sound RRP £109.95, with sound £234.95 - a difference of £125.  And still, of course, for the single decoder and speaker.

But of course, if you think the sound option on offer is costly you can order the version without sound and fit your own as provision for aftermarket sound will be designed into the chassis of both variants.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

My query earlier was due to the fact that I have no real use for a Pendolino but want one so it probably wouldn't get much use and hence the option for adding found at a later date should I decide to but at that price if it is a sound decoder is in both power cars then that is superb value.

Ian

What are the plans for the nameplates on these models? I think etched would be expected on a model of this spec.

Also, whilst it should be applauded that Rapido are to offer 10 number options (so one fifth of the fleet!). I can't help thinking it might be quite messy and complex when it comes to half sets and extra cars etc.

Wouldn't an unnumbered set with transfers included make more sense, especially as most people pledging £255 are going to be serious modellers? Two or three numbered options could cater for the rest.

I'm tempted by a 9 car set as it stands.

I do not think that the project will succeed if it is only for dedicated modellers. Look at the tiny number of people who are posting on this and other web forums. In my view there simply are not enough dedicated modellers to buy 800 sets, and the project will need to catch a lot of fringe people who would splash £255 on a display model because they like it for its own sake. If the makers can include 10 number variants within the price bracket then I would welcome that. This project has to extend a long way outside the normal boundaries of what are regarded as railway modellers. I believe it can be done and I am doing my bit to spread the word to everyone I know.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ash,

So do we offer un-numbered sets with no nameplates, or all the possibles?? 

Fitted etched nameplates are not part of the specification, and there is a reason for this: putting them on adds significantly to the cost, compared with printing.  What we may do - especially if the project is well supported - is print them fractionally undersize and then commission appropriate plates from Shawplan which would be supplied with the model.

Seriously, the actual identities of the vehicles will be something that those who back the scheme will be able to democrtically select once the project is underway.  It may even be, if there are enough takers, that one of the identities selected could be an un-numbered version!

Similarly, if enough pledge for an 11 car set then we can simply number one or more of the ten variants in the 390/1 series, with the twin pack of trailers to match.

However, while undecorated models are common in the US, past experience suggests that British modellers will say they want them but then not buy them:  Dapol produced an un-numbered 73 many years ago and, I believe, still have unsold ones!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike

I agree 100%.  The "hardcore" of N gauge modern enthusiasts is unlikely to generate enough pledges on its own, and we desperately need to spread the word.

Jason Shron will be at Warley on the Locomotion stand with test shots of the OO APT-E, and Mike and I will be there too.  We will have lots of leaflets on N-Gauge layouts and to hand out; if anyone cares to help us in this maybe for half an hour or an hour please let me know and we can assemble the "P-team" of volunteers!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ash,

Fitted etched nameplates are not part of the specification, and there is a reason for this: putting them on adds significantly to the cost, compared with printing.  What we may do - especially if the project is well supported - is print them fractionally undersize and then commission appropriate plates from Shawplan which would be supplied with the model.

Seriously, the actual identities of the vehicles will be something that those who back the scheme will be able to democrtically select once the project is underway.  It may even be, if there are enough takers, that one of the identities selected could be an un-numbered version!

However, while undecorated models are common in the US, past experience suggests that British modellers will say they want them but then not buy them:  Dapol produced an un-numbered 73 many years ago and, I believe, still have unsold ones!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi

Personally I like the idea of a slightly undersized printed nameplate that I can then overlay with an etched one.

One of my 73s was the unnumbered version bought for around £30 (a while ago) and then repainted into the early GatEx livery as 73123. 

Cheers

Paul

Hi Ash,

Similarly, if enough pledge for an 11 car set then we can simply number one or more of the ten variants in the 390/1 series, with the twin pack of trailers to match.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Some fair comments in there. I think Shawplan already do a range of etched Pendo plates so printing them and ensuring the etched versions would fully cover them if desired seems like a good compromise. The concern is some models I've seen in the past have printed versions that are overscale and removing them to fit etched ones is a pain. At least that issue is noted already. If they came with the model that would be a happy bonus.

I appreciate the point about the model having to appeal to a wide market. To me it would make sense if going with 10 options to commit one as plain, ideally supplied with transfers, but if not arrangements made with one of the reputable transfer manufacturers to allow the purchaser to buy seperately (I don't imagine such a product exists already as there's no model for them to go on!).

The other 9 options could be a mix of 9 and 11 car numbered sets, the ratio being determined by the amount of pledges for each, and then as you say, chosen collectively by the pledgers. If 200 people pledge for the extra two cars, then 2 options of 390/1.

I think I will be pledging for a 9-car set, the Pendolino isn't even a particular favourite of mine, but it seems great value for the potential of the product, and the worst case scenario is you sell the model (I'm sure people will be biting hands off when they see the actual model and wish they had pledged, or simply not known about the project at this stage).  Anyone with the money to spare for 18 months should see this as an investment and give it the support it deserves. Hopefully it will pave the way for an improved kickstarter N gauge Class 90!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Provided the 2-car add on sets sell then we would definitely offer a mix of 390/0 and 390/1 set numbers.

We've submitted the project to Kickstarter and we're now just waiting for it to be approved.  Hopefully it won't be too long (particularly as we followed the format used by other similar projects!).

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

...I'm sure people will be biting hands off when they see the actual model and wish they had pledged, or simply not known about the project at this stage...

...Hopefully it will pave the way for an improved kickstarter N gauge Class 90!...

Hi Ash,

Agreed on both counts.  That's why Mike and I feel it's *so* important to get the word out to anyone who is vaguely interested in N-gauge, or who collects model trains in any scale.

As to future projects, the potential of Kickstarter to democratise the model selection process is what one of the most exciting aspects of this project to me, and why I would urge anyone to seriously consider supporting us, even if a Pendolino isn't necessarily high up on their personal "want" list.

cheers

Ben A.

£255 for a 9car train? £95 for both power cars fitted with DCC sound???

That has to be the bargain of the century!

It is indeed - that's because Ben and Mike are not in this to make a profit and they don't have the usual model railway manufacturing overhead costs.

If the Kickstarter campaign doesn't get enough pledges, Rapido will likely bring this out as a general release, but it would be at least 25% more expensive than what Ben and Mike are offering it for.  Fewer people will be able to afford the full 9-car or 11-car train.

That's because if it goes out as a general product, our distributors and the model shops will all have to make money on it (and quite rightly, too!).  Ben and Mike have basically gone straight to the manufacturer to avoid those extra margins and ensure the model is made as affordably as possible for N gauge enthusiasts.

Best regards,

Jason

• Like 1

IIRC the Heljan unnumbered 47s did very well - I recall one retailer selling out his allocation before they hit his store. I think there's a case for tactfully picked un-numbered models. The one that I'm amazed hasn't happened in 2mm or 4mm is a triple grey, un-numbered 60. It's a livery that's been carried by ever member of the class, with whole host of brandings for almost two decades. Unlike 47s and 37s, where there are various detail pit-falls across the class, I don't think there's anything on the 60s beyond the ariels above the horns. It's a sod to repaint too.

Anyway, just my 2p.

Pix