N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

Mike,

Whilst sadly I can not make it to Warley, I will be asking Ben for some fliers to get into a few local model shops near to me and dot them about as and where I can!

As for the networker family well I never knew that, as I said personally not for me but A fairly generic design for multiple classes well opens options, hell the mainstream manufactures have been doing it for years!

Next years new Farish model is very special its a class 66 in guess what yet another livery!

I think its fair to say you and Ben have really pushed this project on leaps and bounds in some respects just by putting your names to it! Plus the experience you have got has given us all a learning curse and well should others wish to follow your lead and go with a project of there own then you guys have blazed the way for a RTR model!

My final hijacking of the internet are you are spot on there needs to be the demand and well only hands in pockets will prove it, so waiting / hoping for a general release will only burden the project and well possibly stop it! Plus always a bonus if your a tight arse like me save some cash, until the next item on the shopping list appears!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well a couple of points,

1) No layout to run one on.

2) Don't need one.

As I don't ever model an area or era, point 1 is not really that important I just need to build a layout long enough so I "could" run it if I wanted to.

Whenever has point 2 bothered any modeller!!

So yes I've put my money in :imsohappy:

I backed Karhedron's rail-car and I'm backing this purely as it's a big step into the future and should make a difference to how/if some models will be produced.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I ran this past Ben earlier today, he suggested I post it as something that can maybe be copied and resized,attached to bags or whatever by anyone helping promote the project:

post-6883-0-38175200-1416509060_thumb.jpg

It would probably be a good idea that you have backed the project I guess...

Regards, Gerry 8)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I liked Steve's idea of advertising t-shirts for Warley etc, but unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere that could guarantee delivery before the show - gutted.  I thought it was a neat idea - I'll have to have a look if I'm going to many more shows before the end of the pledging period (St Albans for one I know about).

Cheers, Mike

Thanks guys for the help with the signature, that should do the trick. I was wondering if it would be possible to get one of a hyperlinked picture done but looking at it, just putting the picture and the link below it would work better.

One little question, I've been following your great work promoting this project throughout but in case I have missed it, what is the plan for overseas advertising? Being the proud owner of a Kato Eurostar despite the fact it has zero relavence to any of my current projects, it would be good to see if we could link up with some American/Japanese/German etc modellers to get it publicised on other forums for other nationalities to try and get some foreign impulse purchases!

Ok a question that has suddenly hit me!

I know that the guys at Rapido have in effect reserved 200 models to sell in North America, what happens if they get more than 200 requests?

Will they be pushed to the Kickstart?

Just bugging me as if the guys at Rapido get say 400 orders and on the kickstart we get 700 then well the kickstart will fail even though in total there would be over 1100 orders from people and gets the sum required!

Just updated my pledge.

Spoken to my mate who has decided he wants one too, so mine now stands 3 x 11 car sets.

A couple more pledges and we will top the magic £40k :D

Wish I could help at Warley but I have to work which I'm not happy about but I have no days holiday available :(

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan
  • Like 2

Ok a question that has suddenly hit me!

I know that the guys at Rapido have in effect reserved 200 models to sell in North America, what happens if they get more than 200 requests?

Will they be pushed to the Kickstart?

Just bugging me as if the guys at Rapido get say 400 orders and on the kickstart we get 700 then well the kickstart will fail even though in total there would be over 1100 orders from people and gets the sum required!

I think Jason has said that if if is getting close that some of his orders will be pushed on to kickstarter to push us over the limit.

As I think that once it is made they will have no problem selling on the rest of them.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Approaching 24 hours in - thanks again to all who've pledged.

As Nigel has inferred - this is a marathon, not a sprint. 105 pledges reaching nearly 40k already is stunning, but still less than 20%. (Incidentally, Kickstarter says that projects that reach 20% of their goal - in our case 42k - then stand an 88% chance of going on to make it!!)

But don't be disheartened if, in the following days, there is a slow down as the initial "rush" of early adopters is exhausted.

The initial take up has been amazing, and this weekend at Warley is a real chance to push the message through.

I think that while we are starting to get a real "buzz" around this project, in the coming days we will hopefully start to get a steady feed of collectors, rule 1 modellers etc who are not on RM Web or the other forums and are coming to the Kickstarter site "cold" having read about it in a magazine, on a flyer, or having been cajoled!

As I have also written on the N Gauge Forum, It'd be great if those visitors could get a sense of the warmth, excitement and energy in this thread, so I would be really grateful to anyone here who is pledging, or who has pledged, could go to the comments section of the Kickstarter page and write about their feelings, reasons for supporting the project, or anything they want to

really.

I've already answered some questions there too and happy to answer more!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

A thought regarding the people that back the project without actually pledging for an actual unit. Would it encourage folk to back £20, £30 or more if they got that same figure as a discount towards a full unit when it goes on general release? Not everyone can afford £255 or more but they may be willing to pledge a smaller amount if they knew it would get them something in the future. These smaller pledges could be the difference between success and failure

Cheers

Barry.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Barry,

We looked at that but Kickstarter are very clear:  financial rewards are not permitted under their rules.  The only things we can offer as rewards are physical items such as models, or certificates, or whatever.

For those who are reluctant to stretch to £255 we are offering the shorter sets for under £200 or even the two car add on packs for £30 which can be run in a "delivery train" hauled by Colas locos in from the Channel Tunnel and up to Longsight (I think) where they were marshalled into the existing trains.

Pics: Otford, Kent: http://bit.ly/1yvjWuo

Kensington Olympia: http://bit.ly/1vu3HAv

Also, this is going to be a highly collectable (and play-withable!) scale model of a full length Pendolino train.  Each unit has two motors, plus directional lighting, factory fitted table lamps in first and is 9-vehicles.  At £255 this compares very favourably to the Arnold Brighton Belle (RRP £199 in UK for 5-cars) and the Bachmann Blue Pullman (RRP £269.95.)  And people tell us the DCC sound fitted versions - extra £95 for sound in both power cars - are even better value.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Well, not quite inside 24 hours but fewer than 25....

post-420-0-54454500-1416523674_thumb.jpg

There is a buzz building... so if you haven't pledged yet then join us, and if you have then thanks again!

Now we need to maintain the momentum.  If you want us to succeed please keep spreading the word and if you send me your address I'll send a Pendolino guerilla marketing pack!

cheers

Ben A.    

• Like 1

Forgive me if I've overlooked it. What is the situation beyond the Kickstarter 800+ Rapido 200 target? Am I investing in an effective limited edition run of equivalent to 1000 models? Hope so. Do each of the investors own a small part of the tools? What's to stop further production and price dumping or is there a commitment not to make more? Remember Riko/Lima destroying the paint masks on their limiteds. The initial announcement was vague and said 'at least 1000'. I guess that could be more if more is pledged. But assurance of no more than that?

Regards

Igor

Dont forget even if you dont want to buy a Pendalino for whatever reason you can still contribute to the cause through the Kickstarter site.

You just choose the 1st option of donating £2 or more and you get

1. A digital poster / desktop image and a thank you on our website. We know that some people may wish to support the project, but either not want or be able to afford a Pendolino.

As I don't have the funds or the need for a N Gauge Pendalino but I'd like to support those who support the hobby I've gone for this option and donated.

So this maybe an option for some or all who would like to see the project succeed.

Another idea maybe if people think they are just giving there money away and not seeing anything perhaps if the total raised in this section went on to puchase a set of the equivalent value raised and that set donated to a charity to auction off?

for example if we can raise £255 in the 1st section by donating this would buy a 9 Car set which would then be auctioned off with the proceeds going to a Charity voted for by RMweb users? If we get £510 then two sets etc....

Is this a possibility??

Steve

Igor,

Its not a limited edition, what you are paying for is well the models at cost in effect!

Rapido will keep hold of the tools and the rights to them, we are paying for the development of the tooling to get a model for ourselves at cost price any models made after the 1000 initial batch will be at a higher cost and not dropped after a time.

• RMweb Gold

Forgive me if I've overlooked it. What is the situation beyond the Kickstarter 800+ Rapido 200 target? Am I investing in an effective limited edition run of equivalent to 1000 models? Hope so. Do each of the investors own a small part of the tools? What's to stop further production and price dumping or is there a commitment not to make more? Remember Riko/Lima destroying the paint masks on their limiteds. The initial announcement was vague and said 'at least 1000'. I guess that could be more if more is pledged. But assurance of no more than that?

Hi Igor

We have not said that we will restrict production, but let's cross that bridge when we need to - we want to encourage as many people as possible to back the project as we genuinely believe that this is an important model for N gauge.

Rapido will own the tooling after the first batch and what they do with it is entirely up to them, though we have agreed that they will not produce a run for at least 2 years. Given that Rapido are likely to sell at a significantly higher price than we are it is not in their interests to price dump (and if you look at their way of working that is not their style).

What we can say is that by default the set numbers produced through our project will be limited in numbers as we can produce 10 number variants across 1000 sets.

Cheers, Mike