Sheepcroft EM - 3 link waffling

lapford34102

EM really is worth the effort. You look to have made a fine start there Stu.

Have you joined the EMGS? If you haven't already done so, I heartily advise that you do so. You won't regret it!

steve

Edited by steve1

Hi Stu,

That is looking great. I have admired your other small layouts in the past and moving to EM will only improve the appearance. How does the track layout differ from previous layouts? What are you using for point control? Anyway looks first class. 

David

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the comments and the likes. Must admit I had one of those "did I really do that" moments last night and as I commented to Phil who helped me that I was surprised just how different it looks.

David, the trackplan, in my usual 5' scenic,is simpler mainly because of the space the points take up so a run round with just 2 sidings. Point control is the same as Drewry, wire and small slide switches. Built in a fair amount of slack as the throw needed is less than RTL stuff.

Thanks

Stu

Edited by lapford34102
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking very smart Stu!

You can't beat hand made track and EM does look very good. The point work does look very neat. I may consider EM myself in the future, but will need to get additional stock as my current loco stock is still needed on my current exhibition layouts.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about to start tracklaying with Peco 00 Code 75, as a way to get a working layout quickly, but it really does look appalling compared to that. Can't wait to have the time, energy and motivation to get back to building something with proper handbuilt EM track! Of course it doesn't help that the new 00 layout will be right next to my part built S4 standards broad gauge layout!

Hi,

Well that little flurry of tags and comments has woken me up from my Yuletide stupor.......  BG John, Peco definitely has a place if only as a way of honing tracklaying skills. My efforts after Drewry I hope show some form of progression without which I doubt I'd have had the confidence to attempt EM.

Ernie,  as for setting nothing definite yet but will have to give it some thought in the New Year as one brave soul has already booked it for a show :O

As for the conversions not sure I'd be the best to lecture on that but happy to explain how I've done mine. Think there might be a case for a dedicated subsection for gauge conversions on here.

Work on layout will resume in the New Year and I've recovered from the Grandchildren :swoon:

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Now things have quietened down got doing the backscene. Feeling slightly radical after the festivities did consider whether you actually need one. Now a good backscene, e.g. the one on Black Country Blues, can  significantly enhance a layout whilst a bad one can certainly detract but are they a necessity...?  Probably, if nothing else they provide a backdrop and  way of hiding the exhibitors usual detritus of half drunk cups of coffee, assorted foodstuffs, paperwork and suchlike that would just be a distraction.

Sheepcroft-9.jpg.7696fc5d0b5e5b63673a6ac40943e9bb.jpg

Sheepcroft-7.jpg.0c06564107f4396a44d5ae73b59bc265.jpg

Although not that obvious the backscene curves forward gently from one end to the other.

Been doing the capping today but discovered my camera has gone phut! so any more pictorial updates might not be forthcoming for a while.

Stu

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring photos
  • Like 10

Hi,

Backscene now on, plus I've done the capping and tried an idea for the ends. Those seemed like a good idea when I thoughtabout but now they're here in 3D not so sure. I tend not to plan my layouts down to the last blade of static grass, quite the opposite in fact so there's going to be a degree of extemporising and improvising. Not necessarily the best plan but it's primer and undercoat next and then see how it looks.

Stu

Sheepcroft-10.jpg.57e226ca291b39954bb0a90000e52d9b.jpg

Sheepcroft-11.jpg.d24ef61ff07d3cf33037de9498e7fcee.jpg

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring photos
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Well not a lot to report but there has been a certain amount of doing things then undoing them. Perhaps I am getting somewhere now. Have decided on a simpler backscene, now painted. Not totally satisfied but think it'll look passable when the scenery starts coming together. Have started the ground work with some clay infill on the sidings and a couple of hardstandings. A bit of basic weathering as well.

In the next few weeks hope to make progress as well as getting to grips with the stock. Although it's first public out is some way off so far it's two definite and three possibles for invites. Not sure if this is a show of confidence or sympathy on the Ex Manager's side though one did comment about the difficulty in finding small "finescale" layouts.

A couple of pics and I'll do my best to update more often.

Stu

Sheepcroft-12.jpg.500438620c3c11554315f01837fb6be0.jpg

Sheepcroft-13.jpg.614e0fee58d04f6e1b6bdfa7d9bba544.jpg

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring photos
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing a bit to the layout but had a couple of issues. First one is with me as I’m sitting here with more than a couple of stitches in my head having had something nasty removed. So remember T-shirt, hat and sunscreen and if you spot anything odd get it checked. No sympathy please as it’s partly my own fault…  With the dressing off temporarily granddaughter thought all the stitches looked gross, my grandson was impressed, not sure what to make of that.
Second issue was with the ballasting done in the traditional manner although the thin sleepers took a bit of getting used to. The problem came a day or so after as a point had appeared to warp and there were some very bad rail joins, derailment bad. Not sure what the problem and cause was and tried to do some repairs. However after a few days things were back . The baseboard deck is made from MDF and enquiries have revealed there can be an issue when it gets wet. I used two pieces of MDF and the problem occurred at the join. Advice is to seal MDF before you use it.
With that out the way the track weathering and a bit of scenery has been started. As usual the pics aren’t brilliant and the flash has made the colours look all wrong but it’ll give an idea.
Cheers
Stu

post-82-0-12848500-1427922694.jpg

post-82-0-77221900-1427922721.jpg

post-82-0-29288300-1427922779.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great looking track, l would never go back to Peco, and the more points l build the easier it gets, l would love to go for EM as it looks so much better, but the thought of re-gauging 30 plue diesels and 100 bits of rolling stock puts me off, is it easy to re-gauge all your stock 

George

• RMweb Gold

Great looking track, l would never go back to Peco, and the more points l build the easier it gets, l would love to go for EM as it looks so much better, but the thought of re-gauging 30 plue diesels and 100 bits of rolling stock puts me off, is it easy to re-gauge all your stock 

George

Diesels is easy!, re using the existing wheels is usually possible, maybe with extended axles, or failing that Ultrascale, Gibson, Branchlines etc do conversion sets.

Same with wagons, sometimes a bit of tittivating of the brakegear is needed, but usually nothing drastic, and in extreme cases, eg the new Hornby hopper, putting wider wheels in solves a problem that exists in OO gauge.

Advice and assistance is freely available on this very forum, or ask at exhibitions of operatores with EM layouts.

30 locos and 100 wagons isn't much when you get started.

Get that toe in the water!

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

An update showing what's been done over the past few weeks. Still a way to go but the basic groundwork in place. Photos taken outside and this seems to have made some of the colours look a bit garish.

Stu

post-82-0-07419000-1429544789.jpg

post-82-0-86117900-1429544813.jpg

post-82-0-43763100-1429544844.jpg

post-82-0-13558900-1429544871.jpg

• Like 13

• 1 month later...