Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

It is a nice model, but O gauge isn't something I'd consider without the required space to really do it justice.

I must admit that I'm impressed with the SLW class 24s. Now, if I could justify a green class 24 running on the S&C.....

Jeff

Now that is a nice model, Pity it's not in my region.

• RMweb Premium

Now that is a nice model, Pity it's not in my region.

Yes Andy, it's certainly a nice model.

It may be a possibility once some track is down. It would be great if they also produced a 25.

However, it'll be interesting to convert a good number of my existing locos over a period of time. Since layout building - and not running - has taken up 99% of my modelling time over the last 2 years, this is no hardship.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I decided on EM back in the late 1950's and have never, for one minute, regretted that decision. It certainly isn't and never has been easy or straight forward, and there may be off the shelf track but you will find little niggles on the way. However, having seen what you are capable of, I have no concerns whatsoever you will get there.

Be sure to join the EM Gauge Society. They are a great bunch, very helpful and approachable, and they produce a wonderful range of information, as to how to do things, like converting locos from 00 to EM. I have been a member for 50 years, just wonder where all those years went.

Derek

Cheers Derek.

I regard all this layout stuff as a lot of fun and another set of skills to learn. I know that Jason is willing to bring me up to speed, so it's not as if I have to work things out for myself.

I'll be in touch with the EMGS when I get home.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I may not be around to DO any layout work at the moment, but I'm looking-in and scheming in the background.

If anyone has any relevant - or should we generalise and say "interesting" comments (they don't have to be EM related) - post in.

And maybe someone can dig up a photo of a class 24 on the S&C between 1965 and 1970ish. Hellifield will do at a push!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

I may not be around to DO any layout work at the moment, but I'm looking-in and scheming in the background.

If anyone has any relevant - or should we generalise and say "interesting" comments (they don't have to be EM related) - post in.

And maybe someone can dig up a photo of a class 24 on the S&C between 1965 and 1970ish. Hellifield will do at a push!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

The photos I mentioned will be copyright so I'd better not post them here.

The best one is of D5097 slogging up towards Ribblehead with a long rake of 16t minerals on the 29th November 1969. It's in - The Long Drag. Settle to Carlisle Portfolio by Gavin Morrison. (Ian Allan)

Cheers

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Alan.

I've many S&C books, but that's not one of them. However, the fact that you've seen the photo is sufficient evidence for me.

Great work on your own thread, BTW. I may be patient building my walls but I admire the skill and patience you show handling those tiny (to me) N gauge locos.

Jeff

Hi Geoff,

copyright issues but....

5149 eases past Helwith signal box on a very wintry March 12, 1969. The locomotive was at this time allocated to Leeds Holbeck (55A), so trips over the Settle & Carlisle would be nothing unusual. The final four Class 24's had been delivered from Derby to Gateshead early in 1961. All four moved to Leeds in the summer of 1968, then all went on to Eastfield in October 1971.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/5149helwith.jpg

5149 again, this time at Horton-in-Ribblesdale, involved in a shunting operation. The sidings here served the large quarry near Horton. The signal box closed on May 1st 1984. After transfer to Eastfield 5149 remained in service for one year, before catching fire on a train bound for Killoch colliery. Quickly moved to Glasgow Works the locomotive was broken up during April 1973, never receiving its TOPS number.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/5149horton.jpg

HTH

Boogy (still banging the drums)

Edited by boogaloo

• RMweb Premium

Excellent! More justification for running a 24....

I already have a green Bachmann 24, which will no doubt get converted to EM. 

Thanks Alan and Boogy - you've done my job for me (and keep entertaining the neighbour with the drums - makes me laugh every time I read it!)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Funny thing, model railways. Sometimes we can get TOO involved in them and a break gives you perspective - and encouragement.

I've been away from the Bunker for 4 days. Just had a scan through Andy's new thread and a, glance over at Dent. It's got me itching to be back doing something. Happens every time and it's good to feel "the urge"!! (Erm, if you'll pardon the expression).

And btw, one or two things have been ordered, including a small batch of EM SMP track.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Funny thing, model railways. Sometimes we can get TOO involved in them and a break gives you perspective - and encouragement.

I've been away from the Bunker for 4 days. Just had a scan through Andy's new thread and a, glance over at Dent. It's got me itching to be back doing something. Happens every time and it's good to feel "the urge"!! (Erm, if you'll pardon the expression).

And btw, one or two things have been ordered, including a small batch of EM SMP track.

Jeff

Willsbridge will slow from next weekend as I'm away for 10 Days up in the Mountains of Wales and with NO Internet either. So unless my Step Son builds it whilst I'm away, (fat chance of that), there be loads to do on my return including checking in on here to see it all converted to EM and a SLW Class 24 running around testing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was rather surprised to read you are going EM. Not that I doubt you can succeed, more I didn't think the track gauge bothered you. I adopted EM around 1980 before changing scale a few years later. The shunting plank is a good idea and doing some conversions will show whether you enjoy that sort of thing. Best wishes with the project.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was rather surprised to read you are going EM. Not that I doubt you can succeed, more I didn't think the track gauge bothered you. I adopted EM around 1980 before changing scale a few years later. The shunting plank is a good idea and doing some conversions will show whether you enjoy that sort of thing. Best wishes with the project.

Don

Yes Don, I was surprised too!!

I was making mods to the secondary lines and thinking about how I could get the ballast to look ok. Then the nagging thought re. EM reappeared and I had a look at some EM layouts in old magazines and some comparisons of locos sat on 00 and EM track.

At that point I thought "what the hell". For some reason I enjoy laying track, so I decided a new challenge would be fun and that was it.

The sensible side of me will wake up eventually - by which time the "dirty deed" will have been done!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Willsbridge will slow from next weekend as I'm away for 10 Days up in the Mountains of Wales and with NO Internet either. So unless my Step Son builds it whilst I'm away, (fat chance of that), there be loads to do on my return including checking in on here to see it all converted to EM and a SLW Class 24 running around testing.

EM track and a SLW 24?

Anything's possible - keep watching this space!

Have a good holiday. I almost wish I had an internet blackout, then I wouldn't have to use the phone to post!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

... Then the nagging thought re. EM reappeared and I had a look at some EM layouts in old magazines and some comparisons of locos sat on 00 and EM track.

I guess that's your new name for Jason...  :jester:

I have to admit that I love the idea... but I'm not even finding time for OO at the moment, let alone re-guaging stock. I'll be watching with increasing interest though!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I guess that's your new name for Jason...  :jest!! er:

I have to admit that I love the idea... but I'm not even finding time for OO at the moment, let alone re-guaging stock. I'll be watching with increasing interest though!

Thanks Neil, that made me laugh! Not sure if Jason would object to being referred to as the "Nagging Thought"!!

The change to EM should be interesting. I'll be home at the end of the week, so hopefully can get started in the near future.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I only nag about him modifying those damned Black Fives so they look like real Black Fives and now the effort is going to go into making them EM, then surely it is a given that I will get my way and they will be hacked about, and have the Brassmasters detailing kit applied too, as well as Comet bogies (putting Gibson wheels on those nasty lump of metal bogies that they come with would be sacrilege, especially with that ridiculous bit at the front for the NEM pocket which just kills the look of the front end).

I often advise, berate, mock and cajole though.

I will be visiting before the year is out and will be bringing a whole toolkit with me. Hide your Black Fives Jeff, they are not safe !

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall ripping up what I'd done and restarting in EM about the time I ran into Jason at a show... (he's probably forgotten, I'd been lurking on here but not posting at the time). Must be some sort of EM missionary out to convert the unbelievers.

• RMweb Premium

I think the temptation is there as soon as you start to use handbuilt track (or anything other than Peco); I wish I'd taken the plunge when I started with Bacup and have regretted not doing so ever since, the OO decision taken at the time because I was afraid of converting the locos and stock I had. Five years down the line and I'm happy to have a go at just about everything with the result being that it no longer seems such a challenge (plus I have friends who can help / advise if I get stuck). Not being fearful of hacking up RTR stuff definitely helps, especially wagons as some of the older ones (including Bachmann) are pretty crap anyway, with nasty, chunky brake gear that are missing rather important items such as brake vacuum cylinders.

There are a fair few OO modellers out there who regret not going EM when they had the chance (usually as a layout is in the early stages). As such, if a layout is a long term project and will be used for many years to come, then remove that regret up front and learn a heap of new skills along the way.

My guess is that within three years, Jeff will be having a go at a replacement etched brass / nickel silver chassis (compensated of course.....) and tackling it with the same enthusiasm he has with all other challenges he's faced in the preceding three.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall ripping up what I'd done and restarting in EM about the time I ran into Jason at a show... (he's probably forgotten, I'd been lurking on here but not posting at the time). Must be some sort of EM missionary out to convert the unbelievers.

Right Simon, so the evangelist was responsible for your conversion TOO?!

I think Jason is very persuasive once he shows you that you CAN do the job yourself.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I only nag about him modifying those damned Black Fives so they look like real Black Fives and now the effort is going to go into making them EM, then surely it is a given that I will get my way and they will be hacked about, and have the Brassmasters detailing kit applied too, as well as Comet bogies (putting Gibson wheels on those nasty lump of metal bogies that they come with would be sacrilege, especially with that ridiculous bit at the front for the NEM pocket which just kills the look of the front end).

I often advise, berate, mock and cajole though.

I will be visiting before the year is out and will be bringing a whole toolkit with me. Hide your Black Fives Jeff, they are not safe !

My attitude to Black 5 surgery is softening. But only if YOU fancy hacking at one of them. Re-wheeling I can probably manage. Scalpel-jobs on wagons - yes. But carving up locos may be a running plate too far for me to do.

Jeff

• Like 4

Hi Jeff

Tonight I remembered to ask a friend, who was a regular visitor to the line in the mid/late 60s (65/68), about Class 24s.

Although it doesn't mean they didn't run, he didn't remember seeing any 24s while steam was around and was suprised when I mentioned the photos taken in late 1968. Like so many enthusiasts at the time he lost interest after August 68 and had stopped visiting the line by then.

Diesel classes seen were 25s, 40s, 45s, 47s and occasional 46s. 50s were also regular on West Coast diversions.

Pairs of 33s worked a cement train and overnight were the pairs of CoBos on the Condor freights. He also remembered the Black Five running in the path following the Metrovicks to rescue them if they failed!

He never saw the CoBos, or even a photo of them, over the Long Drag as they ran in the early hours of the morning but imagined the sound must have been very impressive..

Cheers

Alan