LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

Mick/Paul

Thanks for your thoughts. All will be revealed in due course - I hope - when I get into the roundtuit pile.

From memory, this was picked up for me unexpectedly by a family member as a gift. Family know my enthusiasm for eBay rescue projects, but that did mean that I didn't see the original listing

Good job I like a challenge! :D

• Like 1

Did Nu-cast do one of the GER ones? F4/F5? TWs previous design and I believe some have modified them into an A/F8.

Also the Stephen Poole F4/5 version which was truly awful , I had one, that was sold off via eBay untouched. I believe Jonathan Wealleans  has a modified F4/5 version.

Edited by micklner

It maybe a "modified' G5 you have .

K's and DJH were the main users of the Brass slab frame chassis's .

Nucast were white metal chassis and then I believe to etched ?

No idea about Centre Models never seen any of their kits.

GEM had a LMS 2-4-2 Tank in their range.

I used to have many years ago a Cotswold GCR F1, with a milled brass chassis.

Not aware of any other 2-4-2 tank kits.

The GEM one was an LNWR prototype, IIRC

Cotswold did kits of the L&Y 2-4-2T, both round top & Belpaire variants.

• Like 1

No idea about Centre Models never seen any of their kits.

Center Models (not sure which way it was spelt) used a hideous solid white metal chassis on all of their kits I ever saw.  However I was totally unaware of a 2-4-2T from them and I lived close to him in Leicester

Tony

• Like 1

I built a a Centre Models RS&H 0-4-0ST over 40 years ago. It had a whitemetal block chassis, intended for an XO4 motor. I actually fitted an ECM unit. I sold it about 6 or 7 years ago to a friend - it's still running today. Nice model; crude in some ways by today's standards, but there it is. An unbuilt kit was on eBay a few weeks ago - went for slightly silly money, so there is still demand for such things

I have Nucast J21, J27 and Q6 all over 30 years old, all still with the original white metal chassis and still working.

Back to Thommo ,a couple of the other side of the Loco.

post-7186-0-40474100-1531067021.jpeg

post-7186-0-01637000-1531067040.jpeg

A Varney Transport Replica Van kit. A very nice, and I believe old kit.

post-7186-0-96798400-1531067056.jpeg

post-7186-0-50835800-1531067067.jpeg

• Like 13

It has an odd look to it, cab too tall, footplate too low? Perhaps poorly altered artwork for a GE one, still glad I scratchbuilt. 

Very nicely finished as we'd expect though.

attachicon.gifF8.jpg

A check with the ruler compared to the Railway Modeller drawing showed the side tanks are 0.75mm too low . The cab height and footplate are dead on the drawing sizes. The kit as already said is simply dire as the only parts used were the basic body and chassis even the coupling rods were badly etched and replaced. As mentioned earlier above posts, I have never heard of Jidenco making a GER F version.

I am more than happy how it finally turned out. Surprised you never lined yours out as 90% of the photos in Yeadon, show them still lined out at withdrawal.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A check with the ruler compared to the Railway Modeller drawing showed the side tanks are 0.75mm too low . The cab height and footplate are dead on the drawing sizes. The kit as already said is simply dire as the only parts used were the basic body and chassis even the coupling rods were badly etched and replaced. As mentioned earlier above posts, I have never heard of Jidenco making a GER F version.

I am more than happy how it finally turned out. Surprised you never lined yours out as 90% of the photos in Yeadon, show them still lined out at withdrawal.

Mine is lined now, but in NER green.

• Like 1

Jidenco or whatever; they seem to have passed through many hands, However they did produce kits for both the F4/5 and F6. Comparison of the F8 and F4/5 kits show much the same parts with some small individual changes to the boiler fittings etc. I wouldn't place too much reliance on the RM drawing as it appears to have used the weight diagram as a starting point- just look at the cab cut out. A weight diagram appears on page 70 of " An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives" by Ken Hoole.  In my view the side view drawing on page 91, Vol 3 of North Eastern Record is a better indicator and accords closer to photos. If it's any help I believe that some F8 dimensions are common with the G5 and other NER tank engines.. The Centre Models kit I previously mentioned does appear to be based on the RM drawing.

• 2 weeks later...

My Rapido Dyno Car car with some minor work done to tone down the showroom finish. 

The end brass etches have been added and painted with Humbrol No 62 Leather as have the Bogie Wheels. The 5th Measuring wheel and buffers have been painted Matt Black and the Toilet window Grey both using water colour, this will allow easy removal if the model is ever sold on.

post-7186-0-40745000-1532619215.jpeg

post-7186-0-32465100-1532619242.jpeg

post-7186-0-46466600-1532619255.jpeg

post-7186-0-65669000-1532619268.jpeg
Edited by micklner
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, micklner said:

Current model finally found some time, after building an house extension build during the last year.

3d print of a NER Inspection Saloon with a scratchbuilt chassis, this now ready for painting.

fullsizeoutput_27b4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_27b5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_27b0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_27b1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_27b6.jpeg

3768_34_view.jpg

Oh, that's a stunning prototype and model, Mick. Very nice.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Your underframe looks very fine, Mick. How's the surface on the 3-D print? 

It is very good , hardly any lines at all , easily rubbed down as well. I have leant to be careful with it ,as it can chip (tiny) easily on the bottom edges !!.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...