LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

Mick,

You should be very pleased with that; it looks lovely.

Handsome things the NER S2's (LNER B15); somehow look better balanced than their S3 (LNER B16) successors.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

In the colour photo I have of the B15 the coupling rods appear to be Red. This would make the Loco far more attractive IMHO? However I have read that they believe that it is rust ?. There are a number of photos in the same  book of ex NER Locos most of which also have ""Red Rods. Would a Loco in normal use in the 1930's have the Rods covered completely in Rust ?

Any views please

• RMweb Premium

I think the colour you see in LNER Locos in Colour would be the natural state of the steel when not oiled up, Mick. You see it on ex-works locos in the same book, and the unevenness of the finish suggests rust, not paint. When I asked him, my dad was adamant that no LNER locos had red rods. But see what others on here think.... I'd like to be proven wrong - red rods would be prettier.

• RMweb Premium

Further to my last, Mick, I've had another look at the book, and it's the B15 and A7, both photographed in 1937, that appear to have red rods. If you have the relevant Yeadon, why not see if they were both last shopped by the same place (prior to 1937)? There may have been some local hijinks. However, note that the D49 on p.41 appears to have the same colour rods, and red rods on that class certainly never happened. I think the ex-works Q6 on p.35 strongly suggests that the colour is rust, not red - paint would not be that uneven on an ex-works loco. 

EDIT: and the ex-works N8 on p.47 clearly shows that rods became rusty during works time. All the locos in the book that seem to have red rods look recently ex-works. 

Edited by Daddyman

Note, too, how the guard irons and the bogie brakes on the A7 seem to be nearly the same colour as the rods, and these would clearly have been rust/muck/gunk over black.  A lot of the images in this book, particularly the ones of ex-NER subjects, seem to my untutored eyes to have a fairly red-heavy colour balance; this probably doesn't help.

D

• Like 1

Connoisseur version a lovely kit . 3/4 done at the mo. I already have a built  NuCast version from years ago.

Mick,

If I look on the Connoisseur website, then I see a catalogue of 7 mm kits but I don't see any reference to 4 mm kits. So, have these 7 mm kits been re-drawn or is there a 4 mm range derived from the same artwork (knocked down from 7 mm to 4 mm scale) with the same offerings as the 7 mm range.

Where is the catalogue, the pricing, etc. for the 4mm range of Connoisseur kits or, are you building the 7 mm version?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Mike

Its a 4mm version acquired via eBay recently ( Also have via the same source the lovely Y7 ,again excellent kit and a excellent runner). I am not aware of any reissues of the N10, as Jonathan says there are a list of the last reissue on his webpage ,I have just looked there are still J79 and J50 kits available.  4mm kits listed in Blue lettering.

The kit is a based on the reduced 7mm version . No problem you just need to make the slots deeper on the body fit the OO  wheel sets . I will post some photos .

Edited by micklner

Commission job.

Latest Hornby A4 Osprey renamed Falcon, numbers and Letters.Nose painted Black back to the first Boiler Band.

Now finished in Satin varnish, as it arrived  in Hornby's god awful Gloss varnish finish. 

post-7186-0-45012100-1508686705.jpeg

post-7186-0-56745500-1508686712.jpeg
Edited by micklner
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Heljan O2/3 this is simply the worse r.t.r for actual overall quality including design etc etc, I have owned for a number of years.

Chimney replaced with a Gibson B1 version , valve gear repaired (twice), numerous parts repaired glued back on and replaced as missing when bought secondhand. Resprayed ,numbering and weathered. Loco Number chosen because Yeadon mentions he saw her at Hull Sheds, near enough to the North east to justify me owning one.

post-7186-0-04397600-1517332743.jpeg

post-7186-0-52627000-1517332752.jpeg

post-7186-0-83005200-1517332762.jpg

Following Graeme's Kings article from a few years ago on the LNER Forum

Much modified old Hornby ex NER Refrigerator Vans, two Kit Kat vans , one back to LNER Livery with etched ladders, new buffers and wheels, one has Parkside chassis and other original which was of the correct type.

post-7186-0-60923500-1517332893.jpeg

post-7186-0-50216300-1517332989.jpeg

As in use when downgraded to a Fish Meat van , ice boxes steps and ladders removed, Parkside chassis and new wheels.

post-7186-0-27278100-1517333369.jpeg

post-7186-0-01270800-1517333385.jpg

Ex H&BR version using a Prime Pork version , sides planked over, new chassis and wheels.

post-7186-0-33011400-1517333081.jpeg

post-7186-0-09788500-1517333100.jpeg

post-7186-0-92655000-1517332927.jpeg

• Like 9