Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Gold

Some interesting workings in the schedule Mon-Fri week commencing 7th January which look like they’ll be the first class 800 crossing the Pennines via Huddersfield.

• RMweb Gold

The first class 802s crossed the Pennines on 7th January to undertaking testing on the WCML.

Unbranded 802202 passes through Huddersfield working 5Q80/81, 20.52 Doncaster Carr IEP depot to Crewe...

post-414-0-60380000-1546902811.jpg

post-414-0-15519900-1546902822.jpg

...coupled to 802201 in TransPennine Express livery.

post-414-0-92689800-1546902840.jpg

post-414-0-55435000-1546902856.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The TPE livery does indeed look good on it although I'm not sure what the point of the black nose is - besides the old debate of why remove the yellow panel just for the sake of it, the black in its place just seems a bit of a non-colour, as if they didn't have enough blue to finish the middle bit.  Still looks way better than the awful CAF driving end though!  

• RMweb Premium

The TPE livery does indeed look good on it although I'm not sure what the point of the black nose is - besides the old debate of why remove the yellow panel just for the sake of it, the black in its place just seems a bit of a non-colour, as if they didn't have enough blue to finish the middle bit.  Still looks way better than the awful CAF driving end though!  

Looks as if it was going to be yellow, then somebody realised it didn't have to be so they decided to paint it black instead because they could...

• RMweb Premium

Seen quite a few ECS runs on the ECML, some booked as LNER and others as 'sundry other operators' (ZZ coded) that have run according to realtime trains. I've also seen the LNER liveried set in Peterborough in the last two or three weeks. It looks as if there were 4 sets out today, 3 booked as LNER turns and one as 'others'.

• RMweb Premium

Seen quite a few ECS runs on the ECML, some booked as LNER and others as 'sundry other operators' (ZZ coded) that have run according to realtime trains. I've also seen the LNER liveried set in Peterborough in the last two or three weeks. It looks as if there were 4 sets out today, 3 booked as LNER turns and one as 'others'.

There was an article about Hitachi and Stoke Gifford depot in the January Modern railways and there was a sort of hint in that that the electrical interference issues on the ECML were being addressed.

Jamie

Sorry if I missed it on here, but why are 800/1s going to Eastleigh?

What are they having done that couldn’t be done in Durham?

Field modification programme.

Workshop capacity?

P

Exactly.

• RMweb Premium

Today’s 10.03 Paddington - Penzance is formed (correctly I believe) of 802017/8. My reservation to Hayle in in coach J which is in the rear unit seven from the front. Hayle only accommodates the front five coaches. I shall therefore have to swap units at some point. What if I were travelling with a family and luggage?

This farce has got to be addressed. It was seen coming. The train manager has suggested I move forward at Plymouth “if there are seats available”

This is not remotely close to acceptable. And that is before I think about the discomfort already being endured in the seat.

Today’s 10.03 Paddington - Penzance is formed (correctly I believe) of 802017/8. My reservation to Hayle in in coach J which is in the rear unit seven from the front. Hayle only accommodates the front five coaches. I shall therefore have to swap units at some point. What if I were travelling with a family and luggage?

This farce has got to be addressed. It was seen coming. The train manager has suggested I move forward at Plymouth “if there are seats available”

Blame the people who programmed the seat reservation system, thats before we get onto the 0541 from Penzance where people with reservations from stations in Cornwall have been allocated seats in the portion it joins with at Plymouth, or the 1803 from Paddington where people going into Cornwall are given seat reservations in the portion which detaches at Plymouth.

If you are p-ssed off with it imagine how the staff who have to sort these things out feel about it!

• RMweb Gold

Blame the people who programmed the seat reservation system, thats before we get onto the 0541 from Penzance where people with reservations from stations in Cornwall have been allocated seats in the portion it joins with at Plymouth, or the 1803 from Paddington where people going into Cornwall are given seat reservations in the portion which detaches at Plymouth.

If you are p-ssed off with it imagine how the staff who have to sort these things out feel about it!

And who, no doubt, are unfairly getting it in the neck from understandably wound up passengers, as a result of decisions made by those who don't have to deal with the consequences.

Whilst I, too, find the reservation system on the 800s (along with the dippy passenger announcements) unfit for purpose, I always feel extremely sorry for the on-board staff who have to endure the pressure from fare-paying members of the public when they are left "holding the baby" in these situations.

It's not their fault; they are usually trying to do the best they can with the shoddy tools that they have been given to do the job. Try to go a bit easy on them, but do complain regularly and vociferously to GWR and maybe, just maybe, someone in their ivory towers will get the message and actually do something about it.

John

• Like 1

Don't bother complaining to the front line staff. Use the official complaint channels, talk to the managers, take to Twitter... The people on the trains probably won't pass it on, and if they did they wouldn't be listened to.

Just make sure it gets to the management.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't bother complaining to the front line staff. Use the official complaint channels, talk to the managers, take to Twitter... The people on the trains probably won't pass it on, and if they did they wouldn't be listened to.

I'm sure you're right...but I can also understand people complaining to the member of staff standing in front of them. People aren't always at their most rational when they have - for example - just got on a train at a station with a warm waiting room to be told just after it departs that actually it's terminating at the next station and they can wait in the cold for the next one.

I find that staff are often happy to discuss shortcomings (and give information which can be useful in making a complaint) as long as you don't make it sound as if you're blaming them for the mess. I do find it quite unpleasant though when a passenger is giving a member of staff a hard time over something they can do nothing about and find just as frustrating, if not more so.

Oh believe me they are passing it on, time and time again, you are right about not being listened too.

But dont worry, I am sure lessons will be learned.

Bear in mind the 800s have been attaching and detaching at Swansea for well over a year now so the seat reservation issues should have been well known about (as should the coach letters) so why wasnt it sorted before we started detaching/attaching 802s at Plymouth?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear in mind the 800s have been attaching and detaching at Swansea for well over a year now so the seat reservation issues should have been well known about (as should the coach letters) so why wasnt it sorted before we started detaching/attaching 802s at Plymouth?

I thought the plan was that the Swansea trains would split at Cardiff leaving just 5 coaches to go on to Swansea. I assumed that wasn't happening yet because of problems I'd heard about with attaching 800's (software issues?) But if they can do it at Swansea then presumably they can do it at Cardiff.

So did I get the wrong end of the stick and the plan was always to run 10 cars to Swansea with 5 car trains being only for the (few) 800s which travel beyond Swansea? If so they seem to have overdone it a bit with the number of 5 car sets.

Oh believe me they are passing it on, time and time again, you are right about not being listened too.

My experience in that kind of job (not in the rail industry though) is that the people who the customer facing staff could pass it on to don't have any influence to get the message to where it needs to go either. Sri the exercise became pointless and I just didn't bother - I made a point of telling the customers that they needed to complain to HQ, because us lackeys had no power. Whereas HQ are more likely to listen to the actual customers rather than junior staff grumbles.

Maybe it's not like that in GWR.

My experience in that kind of job (not in the rail industry though) is that the people who the customer facing staff could pass it on to don't have any influence to get the message to where it needs to go either. Sri the exercise became pointless and I just didn't bother - I made a point of telling the customers that they needed to complain to HQ, because us lackeys had no power. Whereas HQ are more likely to listen to the actual customers rather than junior staff grumbles.

Maybe it's not like that in GWR.

It is exactly like that at GWR, some staff are even providing the customers with the relevant email, twitter or whatever details.

• Like 3

So did I get the wrong end of the stick and the plan was always to run 10 cars to Swansea with 5 car trains being only for the (few) 800s which travel beyond Swansea? If so they seem to have overdone it a bit with the number of 5 car sets.

I dont think there should be ANY five car sets

Edited by andy stroud