Markits

Derekstuart

Oh i see - they were mentioned by jonhall above, I was confused why the mention of them in relation to Markits.

Some of their EM PCB point kits look as though they can be tweaked for P4 use if supplies of dedicated P4 track parts are currently difficult. 

It seems that there is a problem with the supply of wheels.

First there was the Exactoscale range which seems to have dried up.

Then there was Ultrascale with their 9 months waiting list who have subsequently ceased taking orders.

Now Markits have shut up shop whilst he casts wheels. The notification was on the 16th and the indication is that it will be several weeks.

The site invites you to email any enquiries (phones not answered) which I did and had the benefits of his marvellous customer service telling me he did NOT have the wheels I was enquiring about.

Sorry Mr. Moderator. That was Mr. Markits shouting, not me.

At least we've got Alan Gibson. An altogether more pleasant experience.

This is the response I got from two major suppliers (who shall remain nameless of course) who both stock Markits (not sure who Marcway are?) products when I asked about ordering through them:

"Yes if they reply to us, we have an order with them for months now."

and

"Dealing with Markits is hard work, even as a major trade customer. I am currently waiting delivery of two large orders."

1. To the best of my knowledge , Marcway are nothing to do with Markits.

Marcway is Mark Weaver and his team of "builders to order" up in Sheffield - he acquired the SMP range a few years back, and still advertises in RM

Markits is a different Mark , based in Watford

2. If Markits is busy churning out stuff on his expensive new toy, and doesn't want to be interrupted by phone calls , then we can only hope that his major trade customers will shortly be getting their back orders fulfilled. At which point , with a weight off his mind and money on its way , Markits' mood and phone manner might improve.

Unlike a certain gentleman in Somerset, Markits clearly does have a new machine - and it's a reasonable guess that this has been a genuine blockage to supply . We can't really complain if his main focus at the moment is using it to churn out the stuff and clear up the mess of outstanding orders. However "difficult" he may be , at least some kind of response is given , and he's not making promises he can't fulfil or taking your money. He does have a track record of delivering decent quality product over many years

3. It's worth pointing out that those posting here are basically P4 modellers , and for those of us in OO other options exist.

For wagon and carriage wheels I find Hornby very acceptable, readily available, and about 60% of Markits' price. Check/adjust the B2B with a gauge and you'll be fine

There is also Scalelink.for loco wheels. I haven't used them myself yet, but the range seems reasonable and they have plastic centres , so should be suitable for those of us using DCC . Maybe somebody who has actually used them will have an opinion , but when I eventually build the secondhand C12 kit I bought at Ally Pally I'm thinking of using them in preference to Markits 

Gibsons are too fine for anyone using track to OO Intermediate (eg Marcway) or Peco track - unless you really know what youre  doing, I'd avoid , for the sake of reliable running. Similarly Ultrascales - if it's modern RTR diesels , don't bother - "give your seat to a shell" - or at least a P4/EM modeller  

(edit to correct typo and add that you should always check Hornby wheels with B2B gauge)

Edited by Ravenser

• RMweb Gold

There is also Scalelink.for loco wheels. I haven't used them myself yet, but the range seems reasonable and they have plastic centres , so should be suitable for those of us using DCC . Maybe somebody who has actually used them will have an option , but when I eventually build the secondhand C12 kit I bought at Ally Pally I'm thinking of using them in preference to Markits 

I've used the Scalelink wheels, and while I think I still have loco wheelsets in stock, they won't be my preferred choice in future. I found it just too easy to melt the crankpins when using ordinary ones, where you have to solder a washer on. It wasn't a problem soldering it on, but when I tried to unsolder, to ease the clearances, I came unstuck. And I'm not that keen on the de-luxe crankpins, as they need a larger clearance in the coupling rod. Less hamfisted modellers may have better success!

Marcway are happy to supply the trade and their products are available from several suppliers, most of whom have excellent mail order services. Southeastern Finecast and Roxey mouldings come to mind, but these are normally limited to the more common items

Sorry Typo !! Markits I was referring to not Marcway

1. To the best of my knowledge , Marcway are nothing to do with Markits.

Marcway is Mark Weaver and his team of "builders to order" up in Sheffield - he acquired the SMP range a few years back, and still advertises in RM

Markits is a different Mark , based in Watford

2. If Markits is busy churning out stuff on his expensive new toy, and doesn't want to be interrupted by phone calls , then we can only hope that his major trade customers will shortly be getting their back orders fulfilled. At which point , with a weight off his mind and money on its way , Markits' mood and phone manner might improve.

Unlike a certain gentleman in Somerset, Markits clearly does have a new machine - and it's a reasonable guess that this has been a genuine blockage to supply . We can't really complain if his main focus at the moment is using it to churn out the stuff and clear up the mess of outstanding orders. However "difficult" he may be , at least some kind of response is given , and he's not making promises he can't fulfil or taking your money. He does have a track record of delivering decent quality product over many years

3. It's worth pointing out that those posting here are basically P4 modellers , and for those of us in OO other options exist.

For wagon and carriage wheels I find Hornby very acceptable, readily available, and about 60% of Markits' price. Check/adjust the B2B with a gauge and you'll be fine

There is also Scalelink.for loco wheels. I haven't used them myself yet, but the range seems reasonable and they have plastic centres , so should be suitable for those of us using DCC . Maybe somebody who has actually used them will have an opinion , but when I eventually build the secondhand C12 kit I bought at Ally Pally I'm thinking of using them in preference to Markits 

Gibsons are too fine for anyone using track to OO Intermediate (eg Marcway) or Peco track - unless you really know what youre  doing, I'd avoid , for the sake of reliable running. Similarly Ultrascales - if it's modern RTR diesels , don't bother - "give your seat to a shell" - or at least a P4/EM modeller  

(edit to correct typo and add that you should always check Hornby wheels with B2B gauge)

Don't tar us all with the same brush. I model in 00 and generally use Markits wheels. Markits wheels are unsuitable for P4 and I would be surprised if a P4 modeller would bother with this topic and the range more comprehensive.

I have had occasion (or rather occasions) when the wheels supplied by Markits are grossly unsuitable for the proposed model and the response to any issues raised is very unhelpful. To the point where I have 2 wheelsets, described as Q6 and J27 where the drive wheels are just plain wrong, but I know there is no point in bringing it to his attention. 

Gibson wheels are considerably cheaper.

The only advantage of Markits wheels is that they are easier to use (quarter). If I could reliable fit and quarter Gibson wheels, I would use them for 00 exclusively.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Any news on when a new catalogue is coming?

It's been over six months now. I thought it was supposed to be about November.

Jason

It would be useful if the link to the old catalogue was restored too - at least then it would be possible to see the product range.

The best I can find via Google is a link to the 2013 catalogue.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

It would be useful if the link to the old catalogue was restored too - at least then it would be possible to see the product range.

The best I can find via Google is a link to the 2013 catalogue.

THat IS the old catalogue ;)

• Informative/Useful 1

I'm very pleased to hear that Markits are still operating. I was beginning to wonder!  Whilst stories of phoning and excellent service are great, I cannot help thinking that success in the modern world is going to rely on having a catalogue, so that one can see what is available and identify it by product number, with a price list which isn't (like the old one) a work of fiction. Meanwhile simply having the old list of products available on line again would mean it would be possible to raise an order (which I do through my local model shop who are, like me, rather stymied right now!).

Chris G

Alton 

Hants