• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike - a veritable mine of information as always.

Neil

Thanks Neil - it's a bit easier if you first of all recognise the place (and that wouldn't be an easy one although it was nice and accessible for lineside photography) and secondly know where to look for other information about it, can actually find that information AND understand it.  It's then nice to be able to pass it on if you can - and that's one thing where the 'net and threads like this can be so useful.

Re-D1001.....

post-6880-0-71069300-1440328777.jpg

Looks like there's a tail lamp on the loco so it's travelling left to right. Previous working could've been one on the Birmingham line to Paddington, judging by the 1V headcode. Loco is thus head north /north-west light engine.

The underbridge looks one of the later GW metal designs.

I reckon we're somewhere on the direct Biham line - Spring '62.

• Like 2

Good thinking Pete but it could be travelling south if it's been round the triangle at Greenford at some point, lots of odd little moves took place with the various Hydraulics in the dead of night such as short test runs from the Factory at Old Oak, out and back via Greenford and West Ealing, turning empty stock, etc.

If it is the direct Chiltern route it could be somewhere south of Saunderton. Difficult to be precise though as it's very overgrown these days.

• RMweb Gold

Good thinking Pete but it could be travelling south if it's been round the triangle at Greenford at some point, lots of odd little moves took place with the various Hydraulics in the dead of night such as short test runs from the Factory at Old Oak, out and back via Greenford and West Ealing, turning empty stock, etc.

If it is the direct Chiltern route it could be somewhere south of Saunderton. Difficult to be precise though as it's very overgrown these days.

I'm inclined to agree although there are other places that might be possibilities - there were a number of underbridges between Steventon and Swindon although I don't know whether they were brick arch or metal but several of the locations would fit although the telegraph pole seems distinctly inadequate for that part of the world  (as it does for the Joint Line actually but I think that might be the better bet)

• Like 1

Hello Mark,

I'm afraid that I did not catch the 0730 even though I joined my train at Reading, because I would have waited for a day return ticket to be valid.

The train I did catch arrived at Reading behind 50029 but after proceeding about 20 yards down the platform, we stopped and started a few times and after a lengthy spell of shouting and banging, we eventually left for Plymouth behind 47554.

One thing that confuses me about D1015 is if you look at my original post on this subject (no. 931 I think) you will see my first photo was of D1015 on an eastbound stone train at Westbury. This loco then appeared at Plymouth on a down service about the same time as D1048, but my notes are rubbish with precise times of day.

If D1015 worked the 0830 to Plymouth it must have somehow been detached at Westbury in order to perform freight duties for an unfathomable reason. The other strange thing is that looking at the cab dents on D1015 it appears to have turned to face the opposite direction before backing onto my train home.

I can't comment on D1033 because I only tended to write the numbers down. Presumably I had misread it?

I have no idea of individual workings I'm afraid, but D1013 is listed before D1058 so must have departed around 1500.

Thanks Jonny.

1015 appears to of brought its Stone train in from the West (Whatley or Merehead) and this is the same side of the loco as seen in the arrival shot at Plymouth as the white paint damaged area can be seen between the engine room and boiler room window.

So the rear cab of 1015 in the Westbury shot is the leading cab in the Plymouth shot which is correct  for having come of that stone train and gone onto the front of the train then headed West.

The records I have stated 1015 went LD to Paddington that morning to work the 08.30 but your picture proves that wasn't the case and in fact 1015 was taken of freight work to cover for the original loco (a failure?) on the 08.30 so thank you for posting it

Mark

• 1 month later...

Newton Abbott (shed and works) - Sunday, 22nd. August 1971
93, 107, 130, 132, 157, 158,
807, 814, 818, 822, 839, 842, 851, 853, 855,
1648, 1737, 1840, 1905, 1917,
3808, 4022, 4167,
(50865+59372+50918), (51313+51328), (51335+59487+59543+51377)+(51372+59479+51414),
B8W (Wickham Trolley).
At Exeter St.Davids the following were stabled
4017, 4160,
6330, 6334, 6338, 6339, 6356,
Brian R

post-1599-0-78661600-1444339096_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 7

Re-D1001.....

attachicon.gifpost-6925-0-91607200-1440176170_thumb1.jpg

Looks like there's a tail lamp on the loco so it's travelling left to right. Previous working could've been one on the Birmingham line to Paddington, judging by the 1V headcode. Loco is thus head north /north-west light engine.

The underbridge looks one of the later GW metal designs.

I reckon we're somewhere on the direct Biham line - Spring '62.

1V95 was a Manchester / Liverpool to Plymouth service around this time. Services from the Midlands to Paddington tended to be 1V07, 1V09 etc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently located a few scans of Kodak slides (poorly) produced by my then Kodak Instamatic.

First up is an unusual capture of a weekday Swansea - Padd service arriving at Platform 6, Cardiff General having been diverted via the Vale of Glamorgan line.

I have the full details somewhere, but this was circa April, 1973.

Brian R

post-1599-0-27993200-1446530453_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I recently located a few scans of Kodak slides (poorly) produced by my then Kodak Instamatic.

First up is an unusual capture of a weekday Swansea - Padd service arriving at Platform 6, Cardiff General having been diverted via the Vale of Glamorgan line.

I have the full details somewhere, but this was circa April, 1973.

Brian R

Running in on plat 6 with a Western something you don't see these days

Great stuff cheers Brian

Gareth

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Few more

7029/14/34/36 OOC

Bath Road

D1005 Patchway Sept 63

D6312 Laira

Enjoy

Cheers GARETH

Drool drool.....

Thanks Gareth. 

There were quite a few hydraulic slides on Ebay recently, but many went for prices beyond my piggy bank.

Did anyone have a success?

I contented myself with picking up the 'also-rans' which were deemed unpopular for various reasons, at a lower price.

One was this shot of a maroon Western passing Teignmouth.

post-4474-0-29639600-1446562398_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Brilliant weathering effect on that Western (D1042 Princess ??)- grubby except for the cab doors which are sparkling after being cleaned to prevent getting crew's jackets dirty ...............

Edited by Southernman46

Brilliant weathering effect on that Western (D1042 Princess ??)- grubby except for the cab doors which are sparkling after being cleaned to prevent getting crew's jackets dirty ...............

More likely cleaned by said jackets brushing past...

• RMweb Premium

I agree it looks like D104x, but more like Duke (D1043) than Princess to me - the second word looks shorter than "Western".

• RMweb Gold

But a lovely railway moment Brian... how many of us werent excited when a driver deigned to speak to us....?

Now they get excited when I let them drive on Abbotswood - retired Saltley man had a go at Cotswold show last weekend.

I rather like that!

Phil