RMWeb Members Day, Taunton 2015 - serious menu choices!

Captain Kernow

Pasty or Pie; pie or pasty?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Pasty or Pie; pie or pasty?

• I intend coming to Taunton and I'd go for the traditional pasty.
    • I intend coming to Taunton but I'd opt for the innovative pie proposal.
    • I intend coming to Taunton and can foresee I will be hungry enough to go for both.
    • I intend coming to Taunton but all the above are too meaty so I'd like a delicate cheese & onion pasty please.

• RMweb Gold

Despite the on-going official policy of discouraging drip-feeding information about this years Members Day at Taunton (26th April next), I am nevertheless duty-bound to share the implications of some culinary research with you all.

As you may know, the now-traditional beef pasties come from our local village deli in South Devon (fortunately no longer run by a descendant of the Finching sisters).

The traditional beef pasty looks like this splendid specimen, obtained today at considerable personal inconvenience, just to inform the honoured members of RMWeb:
post-57-0-11438700-1422709588.jpg

The beef pasties are deservedly popular at the Taunton Members Days, and will continue to be on the menu this time.

However, over the years, CTMK and I have also indulged in another speciality of our deli, namely the rather excellent Chicken & Ham pie. Here is a sample of this superb fayre:
post-57-0-25009300-1422709752.jpg

There is now an opportunity to offer slices of Chicken & Ham pie as an additional item on the Taunton menu, alongside the pasties, but because we would have to buy them in units of whole, large round pies (approx 12 portions per complete pie), I really need to gauge whether this would be a popular move.

I would ask all who are thinking of coming to the Taunton Members Day, therefore (whether as a punter or an exhibitor), to respond on this thread (or perhaps via a poll, if we could set one up - how do I do that, by the way?), could say whether you would prefer to stick with the traditional pasty or go for some delicious chicken and ham pie instead. Provided at least 12 people say they'd opt for the latter, we will arrange to get some in stock for the event.

CTMK has already voted her preference:
post-57-0-64098900-1422709977.jpg

So that's the pasty for me for lunch, then.... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those who have indicated so far on the thread.

It seems to me now that the ordering of the requisite number of items will be made a lot easier, if the Esteemed Membership could most kindly ensure that their preferences are also indicated on the poll, because this is what I think I will base my calculations on.

My most amiable thanks.

• RMweb Gold

So when does the afternoon tea and cake poll begin CK? ;-)

Well, we did a cake poll a year or so ago, and the Swagonian Committee for Public Cake Consumption will meet in a few weeks time to consider options.

'Let them eat cake' is their slogan.

Dribblin' already ! Early breakfast, snack on the train, chocolate bar or three and take out coffee on the walk from the station hmmmm that should build up my appetite before I dine at the hall !

Archived