Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

Last year, I saw the announcement, rushed home, ordered the bits I wanted, and sat back to wait for them.

This year, I saw the announcement, realised that not one thing I ordered last year had been delivered yet, looked again at the announcement and decided that there was nothing in there that I wanted or needed. So I guess at least I get to pay for last year's items this year instead.

Incidentally, I agree with the amazement at the Birdcage coaches still being in the Drawing Room. Are they immovable? Have they been drawn on the walls.....?

• RMweb Gold

On the basis of today's announcements and the slow/no progress reported on items from previous ones, once I've had my 64xx + auto-coach, the PMVs, a couple of wagons and a Wickham trolley that I have on pre-order, I'll not be bringing home anything in blue boxes for a couple of years.

John

• RMweb Gold

Of the two main manufacturers, Bachman with its 94xx seems to be cornering the market for the smaller GWR engines (45xx, 55xx, 57xx, 87xx, 64xx and now 94xx), particularly with Hornby's offerings in this area being more than just a little long in the tooth.

and with some of the smaller suppliers picking up the remainders, at this rate Hornby is likely to be left out of the field for small GWR engines.

Evidently not a market segment that they are much bothered about, otherwise the situation wouldn't have arisen.

Ditto the amount of interest from Barwell in anything medium/large from anywhere but the Eastern region.

I've pretty much given up hope of them ever making a new loco that gets anywhere near my primary interests but, fortunately, Hornby, Heljan, Oxford and Kernow Models have announced a whole raft of them so it doesn't really matter. 

John

In paragraph 4 of post 98 above, you accuse Hornby of 'Scheeming' yet in the same paragraph praise Bachmann for holding back the most wanted version of the Blue Pullman to increase demand.  If that's not 'scheeming' i don't know what is ! 

Post 98 above just reads as though it's been written by Bachmann's marketing department trying to justify their existence !

Call me cynical if you like but the V2 had a new chassis 3 years ago, so presumably they sold some(?) Now the body gets a makeover, sell some more!

Same for the other new chassis locos in a couple of years???

It's called continuous improvement, one of the key principles of any good company.

They stated a long time ago that they would update the split chassis locos over a period with better mechanisms.

They also said that they were not going to do any thing with the bodies.

The V2 is rather dated and inaccurate by current standards so due to the loud voices raised about a body update they have agreed to do it.

The other bodies are far better so there is not nearly so good a case for a newer version.

Sounds like a  positive move to me, in fact the whole programme seems to be well thought out.

Unfortunately for Bachmann a new J39 is about all that I am likely to purchase.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

What is it with Bachmann and numbers? I'm interested in a 4F late Crest (not preserved), but not one with this number.

Other examples in recent years:

Pannier no 5757

Pannier no 5775

Prairie no 5555

Kind regards,

Werner

Probably some sort of Chinese thing.

What is interesting to me, is that despite Bachmann announcing their 009 range last year, they haven't added much to it in this years announcements...

Very pleased with the announcement of the 94xx. Surprising so soon after the 64xx but I am not complaining!

Whilst I expected the announcement to be quite different, I still think that its a good one.

Nice to see the 4MT tanks back in the range. The 5 and 7 plank wagons in each of the big 4 liveries are a nice addition too.

I'm surprised that there is no expansion of the OO9 range, but I won't lose any sleep over that.

I don't feel that us Southerners (particularly steam era) modellers can feel particularly hard done by. Whilst there's no headline, and no Bulleids, there are plenty of Southern locos and a few coaches in the pipeline from several companies, plus we have the C class in a new livery. Bachmann did want to produce the S15 after all!

• RMweb Premium

The stand out release is the Class 450, an excellent piece of news and something I'm definitely looking forward to. The 94xx is also excellent news.

On the whole this seems to be quite a quiet program and they appear to be concentrating on getting already announced models to the market and getting on top of their supply chain before making lots of announcements. This seems sensible and realistic. The awful time Hornby has gone through over the last few years have overshadowed the fact that others are also having problems. If Bachmann get back on top of their production and clear the backlogue then they can come back next year with a more ambitious program.

.............. Bachmann did want to produce the S15 after all!

Well, I assume that is the equivalent of an "I.O.U." from Bachmann, meaning that they will do 2 Southern/Southern region locos next year (or will they announce them 2 days before Hornby's announcement ?)

• RMweb Gold

Well, I assume that is the equivalent of an "I.O.U." from Bachmann, meaning that they will do 2 Southern/Southern region locos next year (or will they announce them 2 days before Hornby's announcement ?)

To me, it just looks like they are retreating to their comfort zone.

John

Whilst that would be nice, I don't think Bachmann's business plan is particularly similar to a parent ensuring that their four jealous children are treated equally.

For all those people complaining about the lack of the Mk2F coaches I have heard from a reliable source that Bachmann wish these to be considerably better than the Hornby Mk2E stock, hence the delay to get them correct. There is a also good chance that they will be more expensive, so for anyone who doesn't really mind how inaccurate their Mk2 air-con stock is then please feel free to buy the Hornby Mk2E model.

Even better, buy old Airfix/Mainline/Dapol Mk2D coaches instead.

Personally I'll be saving my pennies for the Bachmann Mk2F stock but everyone is entitled to spend their money as they wish.

For all those people complaining about the lack of the Mk2F coaches I have heard from a reliable source that Bachmann wish these to be considerably better than the Hornby Mk2E stock, hence the delay to get them correct. 

That's good to know, Flood. Thanks. I'm happy enough with my old Airfix Mk 2d's for the time-being and can wait.

To all those who are going to replace their split chassis Scot, please consider offering me their old one at a knockdown price.  Converting the split chassis to DCC is not at all difficult!

Edit:  and why did they release 6130 and 6133 when my two preferences would be 6131 and 6132?  Don't take this seriously.

• RMweb Premium

Quite pleased with the modern image locos...

66416 in Powerhaul-I will probably have one of these.

66434 in DRS Revised Compass- Might get a couple of these and have them renumbered.

70015 in Freightliner with new air ducts- Might have two of these and have one renumbered.

70805 in Colas Rail livery with new air ducts-Will definitely be having at least two or three of these. One will remain 805 and the others will probably become 803 and 804.

Going to be another expensive couple of years!

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful news for us LNER fans about a new body for the V2. This feels like it is a brand new loco announcement rather than a new body only. Let's hope that they get the shape right.

At long last we will have a V2 to match the standards of the other LNER bigger locos whether Pacifics or B1s etc. They will sell by the barrowload. 

Well done to Bachmann for listening to the market and taking positive action!

Good to see new chassis' for older stock and a new V2 body, something that should have been done a while a go though in my opinion.  Not that I'll be buying any though as the Red team have got my money aimed at them (J15, K1 and J50.) However, what on earth is happening with the warflats, at this rate I think I'll end up making kits instead. I'd have thought something as unique would sell well, especially considering how long they have been in use for. Surely I'm not the only one that was really looking forward to them. For me that is the greatest disappointment...

And no prices listed. Interesting. 

V2 - excellent news

Ransome & Rapier crane - amazing news

A clutch of these Gresley beauties and a crane in BR black will do me just fine, so thank you Bachmann!

...but yet more silly niche diesels - Aureol in her Crewe remodelling '97/4' guise: give me strength.

As predicted on the Class 47 front, another full yellow end on green example - YAWN - and it's even another celeb TOPS specimen into the bargain.  And look, no plain Blue, Serck, glass headcode panel version STILL. 

I don't think they'll EVER manufacture the two staple types of longest-lived, most prolific Brush 4s.

A Black V2 why would that sell in barrow loads?. Apple Green is the obvious livery , how many people model the war period. Handy to use as a base for a post war Black  A2/1 at best .

It shows that Bachmann made a poor short sighted decision to try and sell a new chassis on a old very poor body, they also intend doing the same on the V1/V3 which is no more than marginally better than the V2 . The only reasonable bodies in the new chassis connection idea are the J39 and the J72.

The main problem for Bachmann s that there are thousands of the V1, V2 , J39 and the J72 already . I wonder how many they will shift on the basis of  a new chassis and add to the problem their current prices as well ? . They would be better off selling the chassis alone for the J39 and J72 and a complete redesign on the V1/V3. 

Archived