The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

39 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Photo of the box on the website and has been there for some time. No idea of the rest though.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-35028-clan-line-centenary-year-limited-edition-2000.html

r3824_merchant-navy-clan-line_3d-box.jpg

Jason

Thanks Jason yes I know it has :lol: again I was refering to actual engerneerd final approved sample of it all open laid out like the recent pics of the final energrened samples of the Centenary Peckett 2016 and Centenary  Evening Star 1971 both also red box in the August 2020 edition. This photo the presentation box inside the slip card sleeve box appears to be red but who knows what the final will be like it probably will be red again and the actual size of the presentation case box due to the plinth.

36 minutes ago, Lexington said:

I think that is bob on myself.  I fully expect to see more diecast Duchesses followed by an A4 in Dublo packaging. 

The EM2 moulds have been destroyed per Simon Kohler. 

I wish Simon Kohler's Blogs had been archived!  I'd love to read all those again or even better if the Simon Says blogs return!:D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Thanks Jason yes I know it has :lol: again I was refering to actual engerneerd final approved sample of it all open laid out like the recent pics of the final energrened samples of the Centenary Peckett 2016 and Centenary  Evening Star 1971 both also red box in the August 2020 edition. This photo the presentation box inside the slip card sleeve box appears to be red but who knows what the final will be like it probably will be red again and the actual size of the presentation case box due to the plinth.

The catalogue says Clan Line will be in a box that utilises box art in the style from 2000. So that’s what the box will look like. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Legend said:

The EM2 was well regarded back in the day . Mind you that was 60 years ago! . Not sure what bogies it used . They would probably need remodelled. Might make it un economic 

The EM2 used a unique version of the cast metal LMB Later Motor Bogie design used for the Brush type 2 A1A-A1A, and, using the Brush pattern side frames, wrongly, also used on the EE type 3 Co-Co loco.

The EM2 bogie came first, and has the correct pattern side frames. All of these motor bogies have a dummy centre wheel set, as the motor armature is in the way of a centre axle. The TT gauge Brush type 2 also had dummy centre wheel sets, for the same reason.

Unlike the TT gauge loco, which used the same cast metal bogie for the trailing, unpowered bogie, the OO Gauge locos had proper three axle plastic moulded trailing, non powered, bogies.

Edited by Sarahagain
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, Legend said:

The EM2 was well regarded back in the day . Mind you that was 60 years ago! . Not sure what bogies it used . They would probably need remodelled. Might make it un economic 

It did use a pretty good cast metal representation of the bogie. Yes it was a very good model for the time. Tri-angs toolmakers could make some very fine and crisp mouldings.

Mines got replacement wheels.

792814932_Electracropped.jpg.563abecbb12e85c893febfe78f7e6f58.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, JeremyKarl said:

But they are archived! Try using the Wayback Machine, e.g. see

https://web.archive.org/web/20151023005225/https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/simonsays

Jeremy

Hi thank you for actually finding it!  Why did Hornby even remove them? When they could have republished them when Simon returned to Hornby. I did try a few years back on Wayback machine but I got nothing! but sadly a few of them were not archived on Wayback machine. Inless someone printscreened each edition of Simons blogs or saved them or w.e the ones not archived that is. Hornby are bound to have archived every edition of Simon Kohlers blog Simon Says! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Hi thank you for actually finding it!  Why did Hornby even remove them? When they could have republished them when Simon returned to Hornby. I did try a few years back on Wayback machine but I got nothing! but sadly a few of them were not archived on Wayback machine. Inless someone printscreened each edition of Simons blogs or saved them or w.e the ones not archived that is. Hornby are bound to have archived every edition of Simon Kohlers blog Simon Says! 

Because they were no longer relevant maybe.

It's a bit like keeping Alex Ferguson's programme notes on the Man United website even though he hasn't been the manager for years. Not great for whoever the new guy in charge is.

Jason

1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Because they were no longer relevant maybe.

It's a bit like keeping Alex Ferguson's programme notes on the Man United website even though he hasn't been the manager for years. Not great for whoever the new guy in charge is.

But the "Simon Says Forum" is still on the Hornby web site, which is definitely less useful without the original blog!

I would argue that the blogs are relevant for those interested in the history of Hornby (even though it is a personal view). Having found the blogs again, I enjoyed reading a few of them for a second time.

16 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

but sadly a few of them were not archived on Wayback machine. Inless someone printscreened each edition of Simons blogs or saved them or w.e the ones not archived that is. Hornby are bound to have archived every edition of Simon Kohlers blog Simon Says! 

Not only are some of the blogs are missing, but some of the archived ones have the illustrations missing too (though a few can be tracked down still on the Hornby web site).

I guess the blogs could have disappeared due to website modernisation/update/etc. Although, Simon always made clear that the articles were a personal view, it is also possible that they didn't fit in with the current corporate image. Alas, material disappears from a lot of websites but that is just the nature of the medium of the internet: one can create a new image and lose the old one ;)

Jeremy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In which case they will be archived.

But are posts from five years ago relevant to a company now? Not really.

It's a bit like people digging up old Facebook posts. They can cause a lot of problems. Thankfully they never had social media when I was a teenager. They would have thrown away the key! :laugh:

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But are posts from five years ago relevant to a company now? Not really.

There are posts on here much older and still relevant. And SK’s reminisces may still be of relevance or just plain interest. 

I’m just personally happy that I’m too old for life on social media to be of much relevance to me. I feel for the yoof. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

They might be irreverent to a lot of people.  But I felt they gave the reader a really in-depth look into what goes on behind the scenes and for people who needed a quick read online or interested in any recent  point in Hornby's history. ( In particular I  really enjoyed the one Simon had written about Thomas and Friends and how in 1985 Britt Allcroft hated the prototype Class 0F pug with a face on so a newly tooled Percy was produced to match the TV Series) . Or they can buy any of Pat Hammonds publications his recent 100 years of Hornby is fantastic! (although I was slightly disappointed that mine didn't come with the centenary year sticker on the dust jacket).:laugh: 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Perhaps off-topic, but of the old models to be re-introduced for the Centenary, I wish one of the old Clockwork 0-4-0's could have been done.  I did email Simon K about it, I think he said the moulds no longer existed (and to be honest were probably a bit worn out anyway), which is a shame.  That 0-4-0 chassis was a masterpiece in terms of a cheap but reliable bit of machinery, and did service under at least 4 or 5 bodies (Diesel Shunter, Top Tank, Continental, Percy, Thomas) spanning the Triang, Triang Hornby, and Hornby Railways years, and the clockwork Continental survived into the catalogue into the mid 1990's.  As a starter loco, the clockwork engines must have got thousands of people started into the hobby, and a red Continental with the Hornby logo in yellow on the tank sides would have made a nice novelty.

I suppose, given how many moulds were skipped, we should be grateful that so many models (such as the GWR Single) that are now considered iconic survived by being part of the main range, and saved from the clear-out.  Hell, even some of the buildings like the ubiquitous platform shelter. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Ben B said:

Perhaps off-topic, but of the old models to be re-introduced for the Centenary, I wish one of the old Clockwork 0-4-0's could have been done.  I did email Simon K about it, I think he said the moulds no longer existed (and to be honest were probably a bit worn out anyway), which is a shame.  That 0-4-0 chassis was a masterpiece in terms of a cheap but reliable bit of machinery, and did service under at least 4 or 5 bodies (Diesel Shunter, Top Tank, Continental, Percy, Thomas) spanning the Triang, Triang Hornby, and Hornby Railways years, and the clockwork Continental survived into the catalogue into the mid 1990's.  As a starter loco, the clockwork engines must have got thousands of people started into the hobby, and a red Continental with the Hornby logo in yellow on the tank sides would have made a nice novelty.

I suppose, given how many moulds were skipped, we should be grateful that so many models (such as the GWR Single) that are now considered iconic survived by being part of the main range, and saved from the clear-out.  Hell, even some of the buildings like the ubiquitous platform shelter. 

Mine goes on and off topic apologies but it ends Hornby related. 

Yes The Clockwork Sets with the Continental loco with a tanker wagon and two trucks are marvellous last reintroduce in as R776 in 1988 until retired in1994 I believe. All Hornby would need to do is find one which I imagine won't be too difficult to find and make a scan off for new tooling. And if it's in high demand I'd love to see this reintroduced. When I was small My local primary school I was in the infants school then it was a school on two sites infants in one across the road from the other) primary school where the School Fate was held every May. They  had the R776 Clockwork set (the 1988 version) and the oval of track was sellotaped to stapled blue sugar paper on a perfect fit school foldable round wooden table. With beautifully drawn illustrations on card (with sticky-back plastic on both sides) of characters from Thomas and Friends. They looked exactly like the TV Series coloured in felt tip pen of the characters I remember there being Thomas, Annie and Clarabel ( the two I always asked for)  Troublesome Trucks, Gordon, Henry, Percy, James, Edward, Toby and Sir Topham Hatt  and Driver. you could pick two from the above and you were given the two of the cards which you had to give back after the game, (there were two sets one on the table the other two for the players)  and the lady who was on the stall would ask which two you wanted and you paid 50p or whatever it was in (Circa 1994-1997 I was aged 3 to 6 then) and if the locomotive minus the wagons ( I did ask why she wouldn't couple them on. It would take too long for the train to stop she would say)

I remember asking where did she buy it from ( a toy shop in town  was her reply and the school bought it)  if the locomotive stopped at any of your two cards you would got a £1 back or something! When I was in nursery  the infants school site this was aged 3 to 4 1994-1995 I remember it being stored in the store room where the toys were kept  (there  was also a shed where we could loan for a week free toys)  I can still picture the green box that seemed about a mile high then with Clockwork Set and the 1986 Hornby Railways logo showing this was more interesting to me than I was actually playing with those plastic tubes things that you could build ride on cars and other things although they were great fun and I did enjoy that and the toy Casdon Toy Flymo lawnmower (it was amazing it was just like the real thing the one my late grandad had with the spinning ball in the centre)  

But out of it all I was was more interested in looking at this Hornby set on the shelf even though we were not aloud to use it as it was for the school  fate perhaps they could have kept it somewhere else then!) this interested me a greet deal so  rather than the Go Karts or the crumbly pretend jam tarts from the Wendy House fittted with other fantastic Casdon toys remember the Hoover Washing Machine Creda Cooker  and a Hotpoint Dishwasher all fitted around Hygena kitchen set. Electrolux vacuum cleaner. I remember asking why cant you get another Hornby set?!  

Nice Hornby Memory. 

I wondered why the 1920s Centenary Clockwork Locomotive (I bought the Blue one) wasn't a Clockwork mechanism but electric probably didn't think it would sell or too expensive or something.

Edited by RyanN91
Grammar
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Islesy said:

Best one yet, I like that...

On another note, yesterday was my final day with Hornby, I’m now serving out my time ‘off-site’, so the next Engine Shed will be brought to you by a new author.

Thank you for all your support this year, as our small team sought to restore Engine Shed to its former glory, and I hope that the blog will carry on in the same spirit with your continued support.

Best wishes,

Paul

Thank you Paul - you and the team have done a pretty good job getting 'The Engine Shed' back towards its former glory as one of the very best blog approach in the business, subtle hints and all.   All of us who long ago recognised the value of the approach in the way  'The Engine Shed' communicated  with us,  Hornby's customers,  and cleverly maintained our interest in developments and what might be coming along in the future hope that a return to the old way can be maintained by your former colleagues.  

I know some marketing type folk disagree with my view that unlike the  'big bang' approach of annual  announcement The Engine Shed was keeping up a stream of continuing customer interest through the year which always struck me as a very effective marketing tool.  Thanks to you and your, now former, colleagues for making it so good for us and for coming up with the idea in the first place.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Islesy said:

Best one yet, I like that...

On another note, yesterday was my final day with Hornby, I’m now serving out my time ‘off-site’, so the next Engine Shed will be brought to you by a new author.

Thank you for all your support this year, as our small team sought to restore Engine Shed to its former glory, and I hope that the blog will carry on in the same spirit with your continued support.

Best wishes,

Paul

One of the things I’ve enjoyed about reading the Engine Shed whilst Paul and the team have been producing it is that it’s clearly aimed at the enthusiast market ie Railway Modellers, both in its tone and the level of detail in the content. 

It is part of Hornby’s wider suite of marketing communications but it sits nicely alongside the more generic mass-market information. 

It’s clear from this section of the forum that a lot of us are interested in the way products are developed and I think the Engine Shed has provided some really good insights. In the past, Hornby have tended to share this kind of information much less than other manufacturers and have been criticised for it. 

Personally I hope we continue to see the Engine Shed on a reasonably regular basis in its current format. 

• Agree 5

35 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Looks like with Paul's departure from Hornby there'll be no TES blog today....

I was looking forward to it; I’d settled down with a mug of tea. Now I have a mental image of the Mikes and Montanas running around in circles, bumping into each other and falling over. :jester:

Old saying, “You don’t miss the shelter of the oul’ bush till it’s cut.”

• Funny 4

35 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I was looking forward to it; I’d settled down with a mug of tea. Now I have a mental image of the Mikes and Montanas running around in circles, bumping into each other and falling over.

I'm surprised they've not unlinked the whole thing from the interweb so that people can forget about "how it used to be done" and replaced it with a static page promising "New! Dynamic! Content!  Coming Soon!", and something will eventually turn up, in a similar style to that Signal Box thingy*, fronted by a dynamically hand-flapping Taylor with big white teeth and a gaspy voice.

Other stereotypes are available.......

* Eventually the two will be rationalised into "The Engine Box"...

• Funny 2