The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

I do like the way the people behind Hornby's "The Engine Shed" blog are including teasers in their content during weeks when there's no 'big' news - (except, this week, for people looking forward to the D16). ;)

The end of the Class 91 video has something big, green and named (without a double chimney) peeking into the lower right corner of the frame and there is a very big clue to something Southern, presumably built in 1941, being the topic of the next "The Engine Shed" in a fortnight.

attachicon.gifgwrsneakpeek.JPG

I think they way they are doing this is clever and fun.

GWR Hall looks exactly like that..

http://2e7fd430838d304f1516-467f5d9f2ca7b7b12f8a116e60ea9c1d.r77.cf3.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/u/n/untitled-1_3_8.jpg

Just watching that video of the class 71, I freeze framed it and zoomed in close..at 15 seconds in there is what looks to be a Hall... without the side cab window.. ? - a Saint perhaps ?

Assuming that whatever it is has the correct cylinders it definitely isn't a 'Hall' or a 'Saint' - it's either a 'Star' or a 'Castle' - not easy to make out the size of the boiler but the firebox suggest 'Castle' while the lack or otherwise od cab side windows is far from clear.  Most likely a development model for R3237 I reckon

You've both got better eyes than I do. There's little I can isolate at 15 seconds. In think the tender (in the centre of the test layout) is the same tender used for R3237. 

Nope not a Star or a Castle. Take a look at the later frame showing a close up of the smoke box at 31 Secs. Its not a 28xx or 38xx either.

The steam pipes and cylinders are not those of a Star or Castle.

I initially thought maybe it was Adderley Hall, but that is lined.. there is no lining on this one. 4965 has a different tender (and is lined as well).

I'm not sure that lined or unlined is necessarily relevant. It could easily be a 'first shot' build of something that is now in production with different livery details.

Pretty sure they're two different locos. The one being talked about isn't a hall but the one in the final shot definitely is. I would imagine that the hall at the end is 4953 and the other is a Star or Castle.

I think you might well be right there. Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

I do like the way the people behind Hornby's "The Engine Shed" blog are including teasers in their content during weeks when there's no 'big' news - (except, this week, for people looking forward to the D16). ;)

The end of the Class 91 video has something big, green and named (without a double chimney) peeking into the lower right corner of the frame and there is a very big clue to something Southern, presumably built in 1941, being the topic of the next "The Engine Shed" in a fortnight.

I think they way they are doing this is clever and fun.

Yes, but that's a different engine from the one seen in the distance from nearside rear three quarters.  The one in the shot you've linked is a 'Hall' - and it's facing in the opposite direction to the other one and, unlike the other one, it also has a copper caped chimney. 

Edited by The Stationmaster

Saint?

My first thought was that this is the unlined "Princess Alice" (Star) from the recent GWR troop train pack. even in full screen mode I could not identify it. "Princess Alice" does not have a copper cap or brass safety valve cover.

post-1819-0-02333700-1438191987.jpg

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

Saint?

No.

It's either a 'Star' or a 'Castle' (unless it has some rather unusual cylinders).  It looks as if the cab might not have a side window but the angle doesn't give a clear enough view to be sure so it could be a tooling sample of either.

My first thought was that this is the unlined "Princess Alice" (Star) from the recent GWR troop train pack. even in full screen mode I could not identify it. "Princess Alice" does not have a copper cap or brass safety valve cover.

Could well be although it's difficult to make out some of the detail even when I run the video on full screen.

• RMweb Gold

Cab profile says Star or Saint.But the boiler profile in relation to it is too full for it to be a Saint,which was quite slim and elegant .At first,I had even considered a King....no,not now.If the tender is a correct match,I would opt for a Star.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Bachmann is producing the GWR 94xx pannier so I don't think we are gonna see that from Hornby as well. Shame there was no new model images.

As they said in the blog, not all make it. Pity there were no more clues.... :(

Hornby could probably design, manufacture and sell enough 94xx to make a profit before Bachmann even start work on theirs. Maybe one will be on the shelves early next year, after being announced in December, as was the 2-Bil.

Good point since Hornby announces models when it's at it's advanced stage...

Personally I think both can do a good job. Hornby can do finer detail and Bachman usually fit 21-pin DCC sockets and more options to lighting. Other than that if either of them make this model it'll be pretty much similar.

Hornby could probably design, manufacture and sell enough 94xx to make a profit before Bachmann even start work on theirs. Maybe one will be on the shelves early next year, after being announced in December, as was the 2-Bil.

Of course, it could just be that they've found the tooling for the Lima one.

Another good blog and while there were no items news per-se, something which I think would be impossible to do and I am certainly not expecting them - there were some very interesting things about the blog.

First, we met their researcher who is passionate about trains and working their since last year.

Secondly, a strong hint that a 94XX was maybe on the cards at one point but maybe druppec after Bachmann decided to do one.

However did anyone see the comment about working with the SECR society?

Aside from one wagon a couple years back ( their generic wagon painted in SECR), Hornby do not have any SECR items in their range (ok Hornby Dublo did an R1 half a century or more back).

Now it could be that they used the SECR for help with the Merchant Navy class. After all, having grown up in the south east, I love the SECR and everything that came after, well up until Connex came along anyway!

But it could be a strong hint that they have an SECR loco in their plans and there is certainly a few preserved types to choose from.

One danger point on the blog which could be badly interpreted is the "reading up on the prototype" photo, this is from a generic book about British diesels and electrics, with just a couple of pages covering each class or prototype engine. The book is ok, but hardly conveys reading about the class. So be careful Hornby, some might think you did not read enough ;-))

Yeah ok, I am picking nits with my last paragraph....

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

I shall keep quiet about the SECR hint... it was a surprise to get a name check by Paul though, whom I can confirm is very passionate about his role and has been a pleasure to assist on a number of fronts... 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I shall keep quiet about the SECR hint... it was a surprise to get a name check by Paul though, whom I can confirm is very passionate about his role and has been a pleasure to assist on a number of fronts... 

Hmmm...

SECR and add the often mentioned trips to the Bluebell Railway in previous editions of the blog - an O1 perhaps?

• Like 1

Hmmm...

SECR and add the often mentioned trips to the Bluebell Railway in previous editions of the blog - an O1 perhaps?

Considering that the SECR development of 4-4-0 types were both successful as traction and worked late into the BR steam period, and widely regarded as among the most beautiful locomotives ever operated in the UK; I am a little surprised not yet to have seen one in model form.

Hmmm...

The mention of the Bluebell could well be related to a model currently 'in the works shed', the S15, dependent on where they went for their R&D work.

The SECR hint could potential mean a H, P or O1 are being considered as future models. That's if we take the hint to mean a locomotive, and even then something that's preserved. 

You also have the D class too.

None preserved could mean R1 or L1 which have been done in RTR before. Or maybe an L.

Personally I think a passenger engine could be next with the H class in 1st place followed by a D.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Considering that the SECR development of 4-4-0 types were both successful as traction and worked late into the BR steam period, and widely regarded as among the most beautiful locomotives ever operated in the UK; I am a little surprised not yet to have seen one in model form.

Agreed, the O1 was just the first one that came to mind. The L Class would make a very nice model..

The mention of the Bluebell could well be related to a model currently 'in the works shed', the S15, dependent on where they went for their R&D work.

The SECR hint could potential mean a H, P or O1 are being considered as future models. That's if we take the hint to mean a locomotive, and even then something that's preserved. 

True they did use Bluebell for some of the R&D Work for S15 - it's mentioned in an early edition of the blog, but it's fairly obvious they went there looking for other potential models too - the Adams Radial and 58’ Maunsell Rebuilt (ex-LSWR 48’) Coaches are quite possibly just the tip of the iceberg. 

Visits since Paul Isles took over to the NYMR, WSR, and NNR too.

What have the NYMR & NNR got in common - they've both got a WD 2-10-0... now that's food for thought.

Should be quite interesting to see what surfaces next...