Revolution Trains confirms TEA tanker in N

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for sharing that picture Ben, it just raises my anticipation for them even further! The grey bogies with maroon bearing caps on the EWS model are a really nice touch!

Something you didn't mention, but I don't know if you've noticed, is the EWS ones should have the web address on them as per https://joalder.smugmug.com/RollingStock/T-TOPS-code/TEA-102t-Bogie-Petroleum-Tanks/i-SVmDJqh

Jo

Hi

Just goes to show what you don't see. I have been watching these tanks rumble through Lincoln when I'm there for uni and never noticed the web address on the ews liveried ones.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Something you didn't mention, but I don't know if you've noticed, is the EWS ones should have the web address on them as per https://joalder.smugmug.com/RollingStock/T-TOPS-code/TEA-102t-Bogie-Petroleum-Tanks/i-SVmDJqh

Jo

Thanks for the feedback Jo.  Much appreciated.  As Mike said, that was something we had spotted, but next time it might not be.

For me crowd-sourcing is isn't just about the funding, but also about the information.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to back up a bit:

Hi

There is the n gauge society Cartic 4, the etched pixels arbel, the atm arbel (admittedly only available second hand) and the CJM arbel so I wouldn't call that a lack of car carriers.

Cheers

Paul

So you mean there is a model from a previous era, and 3 versions of the same wagon, of which one is a kit (which requires some hard to source wheels), and two aren't actually available...? I think a lack of car transporters is very accurate... I'd be really keen on some of the red STVA car transporters.

Back OT, the TEAs look stunning, I've not actually ordered a rake yet, can't really do more than 10 and still can't decide which livery. The Greenergy ones looked really good, put the cat among the pigeons a little as I was dithering between VTG and EWS before!

Edited by njee20
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

There is some final testing and fettling to do to improve the fit of a couple of the components and correct a couple of minor livery errors.

We are anticipating closing the order book for these at the end of January, so plenty of time yet. If you want to be sure you don't miss out accidentally then if you register at our website without obligation you'll receive email reminders as the deadline approaches.

The end of January is also when we are going to tot up the responses to the Class 320/1 EMU and Class 21/29 diesel and decide if either of these are worthy of being moved to production.

Incidentally, for those interested I have posted a photo on our website showing all the components in a TEA as separate parts. Including wheels and etches there are nearly 70 in total... see here:

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/news/

You might be surprised just how much goes into each one!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hello Ben.

Very impressive work, it's good to see you taking the extra time with updates and pictures.

Just out of interest have you put any thought into how the models will be presented in boxes etc, foam or plastic inserts? Box colours? Will the triple packs be single boxes x 3? Or more like Dapol do for the hst + 2 coach sets for example.

I know this isn't that important, but I've always been interested in marketing.

Thanks, Matt

• RMweb Gold

So you mean there is a model from a previous era, and 3 versions of the same wagon, of which one is a kit (which requires some hard to source wheels), and two aren't actually available...? I think a lack of car transporters is very accurate... I'd be really keen on some of the red STVA car transporters.

IIRC the ATM and CJM Arbels are effectively one and the same. Etched Pixels offer the Arbels with the wheels I think, though they are not too difficult to get from the USA if you are able to wait for the next batch to be produced by Fox Valley Models.  The Cartics lasted until early-mid 2000s I think.

I'm a bit surprised that the red STVA car transporters haven't been done by Farish (given they have done them in 4mm).

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I think that is the problem for Farish - they could do their STVA car carriers in N (and the OO models are superb) but they are worried that the market would flinch at the inevitable prices. This is the big problem we are going to have over the coming years I think as the market resets itself, and we aren't going to like it. If you consider the prices of European wagons then that is where we are headed.

As to the TEA packaging, that is something that is of interest to me too, Matt. Rapido's US N gauge models are packed in clear plastic boxes similar to those used by Roco et al on the continent and we are anticipating that the factory will use something similar for our models; these will then be supplied in card sheaths in either single or triple format.

Once I have completed artwork for the packaging I will show illustrations on our website, and put a note here as I suspect others may find the process interesting too.

The Pendolino of course is more likely to be the Kato-style book case solution, but with 11 vehicles it may have to be a two-tier job. Again, this is something that has not been finalised.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Hello

Thanks for that information, I'll be interested to see updates on this.

Now, without sounding silly... Am I right in saying they all carry the same products inside?

A mixed rake of the VTG colours would look ok? The different colours don't mean different loads?

From pictures the greenergy ones seem to run in there own rakes but has for the rest anything goes?

Thanks, Matt

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

As was drummed into me a long time ago, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

In terms of operations of the TEAs I am currently working on a document that illustrates the consists for many of the typical flows of these wagons, so for those that care selections can be made that they can be confident are prototypical.

In simple terms, these wagons are all used for the same traffic - fuel from refineries to terminals, or between storage areas.

The fuel companies simply use the railway to supply their customers - the terminals - and they have three options for doing this:

1) Ask a rail freight company to provide traction for their own wagons - eg Greenergy wagons from Jarrow to Cardiff

2) Ask a rail freight company to provide traction for wagons they have leased - eg Phillips66 VTG wagons from Humber to Lindsey

3) Ask a rail freight company to provide traction and wagons - eg Total from Lindsey to Kingsbury in EWS wagons.

Sometimes option (3) will see the rail company separately leasing wagons because they don't have enough; so EWS liveried trains may have some VTG wagons in the consist that have been leased by DBS to make up for wagon failures, wagons off for maintenance etc.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I have created a downloadable PDF showing a variety of prototypical rakes that we hope will enable our supporters to make an informed choice about which liveries they'd like.

We have included trains from a single wagon up to a long rake of 32!

As can be seen from the preview image, the sheet shows the date and route of each train, the loco and livery, the liveries of the wagons and their position in the train.

post-420-0-04953100-1449346906_thumb.jpg

The actual PDF can be downloaded from the news pages of our website www.revolutiontrains.com/news/

Needless to say it's not exhaustive and those wishing to find alternate but accurate consists are recommended to search You Tube using the train headcode (eg 6M57) where there are lots of videos to enjoy!

Incidentally, a big thank you if any RM Webbers are those uploading such useful clips!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2

Hello all,

I have created a downloadable PDF showing a variety of prototypical rakes that we hope will enable our supporters to make an informed choice about which liveries they'd like.

We have included trains from a single wagon up to a long rake of 32!

As can be seen from the preview image, the sheet shows the date and route of each train, the loco and livery, the liveries of the wagons and their position in the train.

attachicon.gifTEA - sample consists 2.jpg

The actual PDF can be downloaded from the news pages of our website www.revolutiontrains.com/news/

Needless to say it's not exhaustive and those wishing to find alternate but accurate consists are recommended to search You Tube using the train headcode (eg 6M57) where there are lots of videos to enjoy!

Incidentally, a big thank you if any RM Webbers are those uploading such useful clips!

cheers

Ben A.

(After application of smelling salts.) I've registered for six (00). That is evil! :nono:

I think that is the problem for Farish - they could do their STVA car carriers in N (and the OO models are superb) but they are worried that the market would flinch at the inevitable prices. This is the big problem we are going to have over the coming years I think as the market resets itself, and we aren't going to like it. If you consider the prices of European wagons then that is where we are headed.

My emphasis.

My observation is that with the current GBP to EUR exchange rate of 1.38 to 1.43 the N-gauge TEA has drawn level if not overtaken, depending on which day you check with prices between 35 to 39 EUR for a single wagon. From my perspective there is no more heading to the mythical European price, British rolling stock prices are going to find it's own limit.  

Thanks for the info on rakes, very useful.

Been looking at pictures and the more dirty ones seem like they have been washed along the centres?

Does anyone know why this is? Do they get brushed against something?

It makes weathering them tricky, cause it doesn't look like realistic.. If that makes sense?

Matt

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice if Farish did shrink the 4mm ones but when you look at the current prices for Farish wagons such as the Autoballaster (circa £44) it would be very expensive to do a whole train.

The Autoballasters (and Polybulks) do seem anomalous to me though, presumably it's just the detail which drives the price up, but there are plenty of other wagons which to my eye have more than enough detail for 'N' - these TEAs, the Farish JPAs, the Dapol Megafrets etc, which are far cheaper.

I'd definitely buy some of the double-deck car transporters, but not at a theoretical £80+ a pair. Shame really.

Sorry for the OT post. I'll instead be very content with my TEA rake!

• Like 1

Ben is currently on assignment to Carlisle and came into C&M this morning with a sample of one of the 'TEA' wagons. It is gorgeous!

There are a couple of minor details to sort out, which Revolution and Rapido are correcting, but the sheer amount of detail is stunning. What also caught my eye is the crispness of the printing and I was surprised as to just how much there is on such a modern wagon.

A lovely model that any modern 'N' gauge modeller should not overlook.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Yes, these wagons are only a few months away now so basically you pay when you order.

The order deadline closes at the end of January. There's no great need to order now, but you do need to order before the deadline as we will not be taking orders afterward. My suggestion, if you are at all interested in these models but unwilling to order now, is to register without obligation at our website. You'll then receive our regular newsletter plus email reminders which may ensure you don't miss out.

With the Pendolino you can still just pay a deposit and the balance nearer the time. The order deadline for this model is the end of March.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In this case the payment is collected at the time the order is placed. For the Pendolino there is effectively a 50% payment at time of order with the balance when ready for delivery.

I better check my bank statement, as I've placed an order for some of the TEA's, but I don't recall any money going out?