Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

Quote "E-mails can only be answered if they have time. When I was working I tried to answer them all immediately as there is nothing worse than having a backlog when you have other important things to do. Unlike letters, people expect a prompt reply."

Having worked in a shop mail room, In the time it took me to answer one email I could have packed and booked an average of three parcels. Having to answer emails really does slow things down significantly

Indeed, when writing an e-mail with internal people, you can be more brash and direct to the point. When sending to a customer, you need to be as diplomatic as possible, ensure they get the reply they need without reveling any technical internal issues they don't really need to know and could even be liable. That takes a lot of time.

Today's the Day UPS Arrive with the Package, Typically the wife is not working today and will greet the driver. The Bulleid excuse was I ordered this 6 years ago. I Cant really come up with anything good for this one or use something similar!! Hopefully it is one piece and wont need Assembling.

Sorry to hear about all you guys trouble though, Looks like things have been pared down as in a lot of places the Staff are getting overwhemeled with work tasks. Emails can be a massive drag though to trawl through and answer.

• RMweb Gold

Today's the Day UPS Arrive with the Package, Typically the wife is not working today and will greet the driver. The Bulleid excuse was I ordered this 6 years ago. I Cant really come up with anything good for this one or use something similar!! Hopefully it is one piece and wont need Assembling.

Sorry to hear about all you guys trouble though, Looks like things have been pared down as in a lot of places the Staff are getting overwhemeled with work tasks. Emails can be a massive drag though to trawl through and answer.

Completely off topic I know but this is another example of the genius of fluent lying that abounds on this forum.I suppose we should have a thread entitled "Wot's your excuse then ? "Mind you,your above excuse is true.....probably. Pretend the Single is a Faberge Egg replica as a joint wedding anniversary present ?

Completely off topic I know but this is another example of the genius of fluent lying that abounds on this forum.I suppose we should have a thread entitled "Wot's your excuse then ? "Mind you,your above excuse is true.....probably. Pretend the Single is a Faberge Egg replica as a joint wedding anniversary present ?

3.5 years vs 6 years what is the difference?

Back in the 90s, we had a Wrenn collector buying all those nice expensive Wrenn locos. One day his wife came in wanting to buy him a surprise present for birthday. "He collects Wrenn" she said. Straight to Wrenn cabinet "oh no, not the expensive ones like these, he buy's only the cheap ones". At which point she discovered there were no cheap ones.

A week later she was back with him with his entire Wrenn collection, face glum (must have been a great Birthday) disposing of all of it. I wonder if there was a second argument a few years later when Wrenn closed down and prices went through the roof!

So how many people are telling partners that the Single cost only £20?

Well, I've received my Stirling Single today, and as far as I'm concerned it's superb!   

Wonderfully jokey comments in the brochure from Jason, in the "READ THIS BIT FIRST!" info, which then goes on to say: I didn't read the bit about the brake rigging....

Priceless!

It's a wonderful piece of production, and Jason can be proud of it!

• Like 2

When we got married, 43 years ago, my wife saw some LGB and asked me if I would like a line in the garden as she is a keen gardener. Well, as you can imagine I said yes and was hooked and spent thousands over the years. She never asked how much it cost although I have a fair inkling she had a good idea that it wasn't cheap. It eventually had to go as I could no longer bend down very well. Fortunately I am shot down if I try to tell her how much anything costs as she says talking about the price of a thing is not the mark of a gentleman! She saw an expensive painting she liked and I managed to tell her to get it without wincing as it was our ruby wedding around the time. Apart from that she only buys plants so I buy any locos I like the look of, to run or not (the trio of O gauge Terriers are definitely nots) but there is always a certain amount of guilt involved. Brass locos from eBay can often be delivered to Argos, so that helps! I always say that the value is still there, unlike spending it on drink etc. and that goes down well. She doesn't know a Thomas the Tank Engine from a Martin Finney but seems to like anything with a brass dome or a copper capped chimney. To get back to the thread, the Stirling Single has remained in its box awaiting eventual collection and I am quite sure she will like it on purely aesthetic grounds when its replacement arrives as she liked the original at Quorn back in the 1980s. I've got a feeling she thinks they all cost about the same!      

Well, I've received my Stirling Single today, and as far as I'm concerned it's superb!   

Wonderfully jokey comments in the brochure from Jason, in the "READ THIS BIT FIRST!" info, which then goes on to say: I didn't read the bit about the brake rigging....

Priceless!

It's a wonderful piece of production, and Jason can be proud of it!

There's also a wonderful comment about a sludge carrier.

I hope there is more, but I have not yet read the whole book!

• Like 1

Plenty of evidence on here that it was intended for someone else and delivered to you in error! Hope you just get the one. Some have had to explain why they got two or more!

You personally have been friendly and helpful and I have been very pleased.

Locomotion, however are totally out of their depth and seem to be using an incompetent carrier to boot. There is little to do but wait. For returns, it would be better to have a Royal Mail label sent and then at least you would have a receipt and could send it back at a time to suit yourself and not wait for a carrier who may or may not come. If it does come to that I suggest taking a photograph of the handover as proof that it has gone back if the carrier does not give receipts and recording the registration of the van. 

I am having to look after my wife who is in the early stages of dementia and having had one heart attack I was advised to keep as calm as possible and I find modelling is a good way of doing that so I have no wish to get worked up about the much looked forward to Stirling.

I don't blame the staff at Locomotion, who seem to have been well and truly dropped in it. I assume the carrier was the cheapest but it won't work out to be in the end, surely. Someone must be masterminding all this, however, and a statement that they have learned from their mistakes and that it won't be allowed to happen again would be much appreciated.

My experience of the telephone has been one of recorded messages so some have been luckier than me. E-mails can only be answered if they have time. When I was working I tried to answer them all immediately as there is nothing worse than having a backlog when you have other important things to do. Unlike letters, people expect a prompt reply.

It is all a matter of staff levels. If Locomotion is run on a shoestring they are in no position to take on a large volume operation unless it can more-or-less run itself efficiently. The staff would then have time to attend to returns/problems. Their website is not kept properly up-to-date (essential) and their ordering/dispatch  system needs to be accessible by the  customer who then can at least see what is going on.

That's my thoughts on the subject, anyway.

Much appreciated.

I live in New Zealand, Stuart has written that he has done all the overseas orders for non-sound versions.

I've heard nothing since an email 4 or so weeks ago asking if I wanted a 'DC or DC sound' model, with mis-spelling and no name. This was after I had enquired about a DC model....and method of payment

I didn't do an early pre-order and didn't pay in full until very recently which you would have though wouldn't work, but the payment form I thought was ambiguous.

I got a standard order acceptance email and valid order number, so live in hope. The order showed my payment in full for a DC non-sound model.

I have no idea if my order actually is valid, and no easy way to find out. 

What to do but wait?  And for how long before I send emails, I don't want to clog the system!

• RMweb Gold

I had a call from Locomotion yesterday that I should expect a delivery today. Apparently APC had logged the delivery of one of the models that I ordered as being all of them delivered.

Fingers crossed.

Darius

Much appreciated.

I live in New Zealand, Stuart has written that he has done all the overseas orders for non-sound versions.

I've heard nothing since an email 4 or so weeks ago asking if I wanted a 'DC or DC sound' model, with mis-spelling and no name. This was after I had enquired about a DC model....and method of payment

I didn't do an early pre-order and didn't pay in full until very recently which you would have though wouldn't work, but the payment form I thought was ambiguous.

I got a standard order acceptance email and valid order number, so live in hope. The order showed my payment in full for a DC non-sound model.

I have no idea if my order actually is valid, and no easy way to find out. 

What to do but wait?  And for how long before I send emails, I don't want to clog the system!

If it had been sent, you would have had notification by UPS the day it was sent.

Mind you, I keep getting notification from UPS that I need to pick mine up from the pick up point despite having done so a week ago.

Quick update, if there is any customers out there who still have extra models and APC have been in touch or not been in touch can you drop either myself or Tom Mackie SMG or locomotionmodels a PM with your name and details and we can sort it out.

Regards

Stuart

• Like 2

Facebook really has come to RMweb. Never in the history of this forum have I seen so many toy train collectors in one place waiting for their goolies to drop. A regular waiters, wailers, receivers and heartbreak thread. 

Does it run well? We dont know. Are there any rivets out of place? No one has noticed. Have the bogie wheels the correct number of spokes?  Where's the box opening vid???   :swoon:

We have to face it, Coach, not everyone shares your sunny disposition.

There's a 4 page review in current (251) edition of Model Rail. There's an interesting diagram showing modifications to the prototype over the years that the model incorporates. Theirs pulled 13 Bachmann mk1s....

Ironically 251 also being the number of the NRM preserved GNR C1.

Their layout must be really perfectly level and flat for it to pull 13 Bachmann Mk 1s. I need a heavy steam loco like a Hornby rebuilt West Country or Britannia to handle a train like that on mine.

Do they show how to remove the loco body?

• Like 1

Well, I gather that Stirling intended the locomotive to haul 150 tons at an average speed of 51 mph, and in service the class managed 200 tons at 54mph.

I don't know what a Mark 1 coach, laden, would weigh, but I am guessing that the model out-performs the prototype.

Well, I gather that Stirling intended the locomotive to haul 150 tons at an average speed of 51 mph, and in service the class managed 200 tons at 54mph.

I don't know what a Mark 1 coach, laden, would weigh, but I am guessing that the model out-performs the prototype.

32 - 37 tons approx. for corridor coaches depending on open or side corridor configuration.

32 - 37 tons approx. for corridor coaches depending on open or side corridor configuration.

Thanks, Coach, that's interesting, and I suppose it means that a train equivalent in weight to 6 Mk Is should be manageable at the express speeds obtaining in the late Nineteenth Century.

Getting closer!

Tracking number advised delivery would be yesterday, Never came asked UPS to Deliver to my Work address, yesterday evening as no one would be there today 5 mins from the depot , no can do they said, "Driver will have to attempt drop and then I can amend the delivery address for a re delivery".

Well I have been informed the courier, The Mighty UPS, that the package is delivered and left outside my front door :resent: . So no Signature to check for damage to the shipment , should it be nicked what  happens then? Thankfully it is not raining presently.

I just had to ring a neighbour now to pop down to see if it still there and to recover it.

Give me the Post office any day of the week, these courier crowds and a law unto themselves.

cheers

George.

Getting closer!

Tracking number advised delivery would be yesterday, Never came asked UPS to Deliver to my Work address, yesterday evening as no one would be there today 5 mins from the depot , no can do they said, "Driver will have to attempt drop and then I can amend the delivery address for a re delivery".

Well I have been informed the courier, The Mighty UPS, that the package is delivered and left outside my front door :resent: . So no Signature to check for damage to the shipment , should it be nicked what  happens then? Thankfully it is not raining presently.

I just had to ring a neighbour now to pop down to see if it still there and to recover it.

Give me the Post office any day of the week, these courier crowds and a law unto themselves.

cheers

George.

There is a UPS choice account which will allow you to modify the address before delivery. The trouble is, you have to wait 7 days for the pin number to arrive. They do give an option to leave it without signature which won't happen in my case as it means "please throw it over a 7ft high fence onto concrete ground". That did happen once with a Hattons Garrett and it survived...

I still think I prefer them to APC though by the looks of things.

All good in the end, Panicked a small bit!! Box came safe and Sound, Well Wrapped and protected, OOOOOH the Excitement!!

Opened the box up, read the instructions (good fun!). One chain off  flying around the box,no Biggie as replacements in the box, then got the Splashers on too, not too much of a task either and 30 Mins of watching she's now running in whilst I get the house in Order before the missus get in form work!! Then back out to the shed. :locomotive:

Nice letter from the NRM advised GNR coaches on the Horizon, that would be nice.

Mine will be used on railtours on my layout, I can't make anything else up to justify this and it is only my 4th GNR /LNER Loco in my stockpile

All in all Cracking little model, Love the firebox glow too and the Extra Oomph for the chimney blast sound as an extra function!!

Well done Rapido and NRM.

I wonder now can I get one in GNR Blue?

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

If it had been sent, you would have had notification by UPS the day it was sent.

Mind you, I keep getting notification from UPS that I need to pick mine up from the pick up point despite having done so a week ago.

Nothing from UPS.

I have both PM-d Stuart and sent a third query to 'queries@locomotion...' politely asking if my model has been sent.  It's no doubt hard for Stuart and others to untangle the UK delivery issues as well as send o'seas orders, I hope things settle down and can be done in a timely manner.

I am so (unashamedly) jealous of those who have received their models! :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

There is a UPS choice account which will allow you to modify the address before delivery. The trouble is, you have to wait 7 days for the pin number to arrive. They do give an option to leave it without signature which won't happen in my case as it means "please throw it over a 7ft high fence onto concrete ground". That did happen once with a Hattons Garrett and it survived...

I still think I prefer them to APC though by the looks of things.

This is what UPS Came back to me with.  Unbelievable.

"Checking our records, the package was left at the shipper's request. When the shipper selects this option, they release UPS from being liable in the event the package got lost. With the exception of address discrepancy, misdelivery or no record of delivery.

Since the package was delivered as addressed by the shipper, you may contact them for further assistance if you had problems locating your parcel."

Not Happy with Locomotion's choice of Carrier. The Post office is much safer IMHO, I have had never an problem with them.

Any how loco is now ran in pulling to GWR Clerestory Coaches, Looks the biz!

• Like 1

This is what UPS Came back to me with.  Unbelievable.

"Checking our records, the package was left at the shipper's request. When the shipper selects this option, they release UPS from being liable in the event the package got lost. With the exception of address discrepancy, misdelivery or no record of delivery.

Since the package was delivered as addressed by the shipper, you may contact them for further assistance if you had problems locating your parcel."

Not Happy with Locomotion's choice of Carrier. The Post office is much safer IMHO, I have had never an problem with them.

Any how loco is now ran in pulling to GWR Clerestory Coaches, Looks the biz!

If the shipper (Locomotion) had chosen that then they would be responsible if it was lost. Of course such a debate would be between Locomotion and UPS themselves. Your 'contract' (for lack of better word) is with Locomotion not UPS.

But good to see you are enjoying it. I slightly regret not going for a full DCC sound one but doubtless I can upgrade later. Let's see how much the coaches will cost first.