Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

I have to admit it at a week shy of a month since they started shipping, here in the UK, that maybe being patient hasn’t paid off and maybe something untoward happened to mine if they are now shipping off to the rest of the world.

APC was 24 hour delivery, so I would assume after 3 1/2 weeks the excess would have been collected and redistributed, similarly that 24 hour shipping we paid for would surely now be in dispute and subject to refund.

I did phone yesterday, and email, but thus far got no response, beyond the answerphone, didn’t add to my confidence.

I hope I don’t end up with the last one off the shelf, mongrel of the bunch, with a scruffy box as a reward for my patience.

A little “revised” update would be nice, even if it’s a holding statement. If they are still snowed under, it may even reduce the number of enquiries incoming and help their productivity.

In the same situation here.

Paid up front in full and ordered 24 hour delivery, and not heard anything about the order yet. After reading all the posts in the topic regarding the postal issues, I thought I'd leave it a few weeks, let them get it sorted. But I think nearly 4 weeks of hearing nothing is nearly enough, so sent them an E-mail last week, nothing back yet either.

A good friend of mine got his, plus 2 others that arrived by mistake a few weeks back. He message the postal company to come and get them, which they still haven't! They even had the cheek to say they had attempted a pick-up, when a family member was home waiting for them all day! So he still got 2 extra models, nearly 4 weeks on after there arrival! Wonder what the deal is if the postal company never come to pick them up? 

I am in Australia and mine arrived today. A day early.

Had a brief look and will check it out later today.

Brilliant looking model.  My thanks go to the NRM/Locomotion and Rapido for producing a model of the GNR Stirling Single.

Photo below is of preserved Single at Shildon in May 2011.  Chimney is in the foreground.

Mark in Oz

attachicon.gif20 002.jpg

I'd return that one, the chimney has clearly come off, assume it was damaged during delivery?

In the same situation here.

Paid up front in full and ordered 24 hour delivery, and not heard anything about the order yet. After reading all the posts in the topic regarding the postal issues, I thought I'd leave it a few weeks, let them get it sorted. But I think nearly 4 weeks of hearing nothing is nearly enough, so sent them an E-mail last week, nothing back yet either.

A good friend of mine got his, plus 2 others that arrived by mistake a few weeks back. He message the postal company to come and get them, which they still haven't! They even had the cheek to say they had attempted a pick-up, when a family member was home waiting for them all day! So he still got 2 extra models, nearly 4 weeks on after there arrival! Wonder what the deal is if the postal company never come to pick them up? 

I'm surprised APC do not have a relay or local pickup point shop (UPS does). It would render the recovery operation much more efficient.

I was also wondering why your great video was delayed too ;-)

Like many others, I have been patient and sympathetic to people working hard to do a job.  But enough is enough.  This is a total screw up that would not be tolerated in any business sector.  In my world if the company concerned chose to ignore these issues, the regulator would step in. Where is the Science Museum Group in this? Who is responsible?  I am just a consumer waiting on something that has been paid for, and nobody will or can tell me what is happening..  

Like many others, I have been patient and sympathetic to people working hard to do a job.  But enough is enough.  This is a total screw up that would not be tolerated in any business sector.  In my world if the company concerned chose to ignore these issues, the regulator would step in. Where is the Science Museum Group in this? Who is responsible?  I am just a consumer waiting on something that has been paid for, and nobody will or can tell me what is happening..  

There is nothing in this world as important as model railways.......

......but even that is not very important

I'd return that one, the chimney has clearly come off, assume it was damaged during delivery?

I would keep it if I were you. You can always glue the chimney back on but there are some on this forum that would pay good money for the version with the 'Sturrock style' tender!

• Like 1

billbedford, on 21 Aug 2018 - 13:43, said:

There is nothing in this world as important as model railways.......

......but even that is not very important

...but this is a model railway forum and other things going on in the world should be discussed on the relevant fora.

Mine arrived today having taken days to get from Dublin by UPS. In the end they could not find my house (they say) and I agreed they could leave it at the local post office which they did.

I have collected it and looking forward to having a good look at it later.

Good news, UPS just sent me a Tracking number for my one, Lets see if they can find my house. Eircode n all should be handy!

Might be able to have a nice play at the weekend. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to say it is a mess and while I have every sympathy for those trying to get it sorted, it does seem terribly difficult to fix. For what it’s worth, my experience:

- got emails for two deliveries, one clearly not mine

- two delivered, left on doorstep so no opportunity to reject one.

- six voicemails from APC asking me to call them (I do have a lot of meetings at work)

- called back. Closed. Left message. Never called me back

- got a call from locomotion to ask if I received mine, which I confirmed, plus a surplus one. Agreed a date to return the surplus one (yesterday). No mention of time. Asked if I should leave it on the doorstep for pick up like drop off. Was asked not to due to value of it!

- stayed in while on holiday until after lunch. Called locomotion to say I was going out. Got the voicemail saying they would get back to me within five days

- half an hour after leaving,got a call from an APC driver. Didn’t know what he was picking up or where it was going. Started shouting at someone in the background that ‘he wouldn’t be moving his van as he was speaking to a customer’. I asked where he was and he said ‘outside your house and you have a very irate neighbour’. I’m sure if they were blocked in by an inconsiderate lorry driver, they might be a little irate! Said he would let them know back at the office that he was unable to collect.

Awaiting next moves, but won’t be holding my breath!

I have to say it is a mess and while I have every sympathy for those trying to get it sorted, it does seem terribly difficult to fix. For what it’s worth, my experience:

- six voicemails from APC asking me to call them (I do have a lot of meetings at work)

- got a call from locomotion to ask if I received mine, which I confirmed, plus a surplus one. Agreed a date to return the surplus one (yesterday). No mention of time. Asked if I should leave it on the doorstep for pick up like drop off. Was asked not to due to value of it!

- stayed in while on holiday until after lunch. Called locomotion to say I was going out. Got the voicemail saying they would get back to me within five days

- half an hour after leaving,got a call from an APC driver. Didn’t know what he was picking up or where it was going. Started shouting at someone in the background that ‘he wouldn’t be moving his van as he was speaking to a customer’. I asked where he was and he said ‘outside your house and you have a very irate neighbour’. I’m sure if they were blocked in by an inconsiderate lorry driver, they might be a little irate! Said he would let them know back at the office that he was unable to collect.

The next moves .... ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0oRGHGyzuM

The collection drivers program was probably already set the day before, so I suppose you have more chance of winning the lottery than your voice message being picked and transmitted through APC to the driver on time to cancel or reset the hour of the pick up.

What always gets me is why the delivery schedule can never be split into morning or afternoon. Far too many firms use a -say- between 6am to 8pm and I bet most deliveries result in failure.

I have most of my stuff delivered to work because there is always someone on the door even if I am on holiday (I did not do so for this model as I had no idea where I could be in 3 years time, though I did move home leading to me changing delivery address anyway).

I do not how Locomotion are working through it but with say 4000 models and an almost equal number of customers, it represents some challenges if there is limited staff (2-3 people?) and tools are not really designed for the volume on hand. At this point I suppose they need to consolidate who is missing theirs and who needs things collected. The problem is the situation will change daily and you are limited to the number of people that can be targeted.

Posting an overall stats of what needs to be done, will not speed things up (it adds another thing to do) but can ease customers minds that something is being done - providing of course the stats show progress.

Edited by JSpencer

That's just how I feel. I am waiting for a replacement for the one delivered on 1 August with the bodged paint touch-up on the tender.

Rapido Repairs gave me a slightly wrong e-mail address and thet's why my messages didn't get to them. They now tell me they have contacted Locomotion to get a new one to me and get the original collected but I'm not holding my breath. An e-mail to Locomotion has been well over the 5 days reply they quote without an answer and as for the telephone, forget it! I presume I will get one eventually but I don't like the sound of the returns one bit. If this was the real world of commerce I would be livid. I certainly won't order anything from Locomotion again. Thank goodness the Dynamometer Car and O gauge Boxhill are from Rails. I am trying not to think about it by working on four GWR outside frame 4-4-0s!

• Administrators

There is no "model railway sales" regulator and even if there was, how many complaints are we talking about? I'm not sure what the run of Singles was, but 2000 would seem like a good bet. Of those, many (probably the majority) have arrived at happy customers as shown on this very forum. You need many thousands to get regulators interested for something non-life threatening. 

The Science museum group probably isn't very interested, or if it is, it will be the very staff who are struggling to sort out the problem now who will get another kicking from yet another direction.

Assuming the problem is with the delivery company, the only recourse for Locomotion will be legal and even if they go there, the court case and damages won't get you your model any faster.  I get your frustration but getting angry isn't going to fix it either.

• Like 2

I can understand the frustration on the part of those who have still not received their Single, or who have experienced the frustration of a defect. Distribution cannot, by any standard, be considered to have gone smoothly, and I would be surprised if lessons had not been learned. 

I'd probably feel like a good moan in the circumstances - despite time served on the RMWeb Attitude Adjustment Programme (every day in every way I'm getting better and better [twitch]), but I hope I would remember the constraints an organisation like Locomotion is obliged to work within, and not forget that at the sharp end there are diligent individuals working extremely hard to sort it all out.  There are constraints on funding, the effects of project delay, the staffing levels. Locomotion in the future will hopefully avoid the problems reported here, but it's never going to have the distribution and customer service capability of a major retailer like Rails. People who cannot accept this will continue to experience unnecessary frustration levels, though I don't criticise those who report suffering a catalogue of issues in getting their models.  They have my sympathy.

This is a reputable organisation, and it's not going anywhere.  It can be relied upon to sort everything out.  It's not going to leave any customers disappointed.  It will deliver. No one will lose out. Nobody died. It is only a question of time, however frustrating the delay.  I am sure that such frustration will rapidly fade when people finally receive their Singles.  Good luck with that!

• RMweb Gold

This is a reputable organisation, and it's not going anywhere.

I am afraid that their reputation is getting a sound kicking at the moment.

A new update from Locomotion on this thread would not be amiss and might assuage the frustrations of those of us who have yet to receive what we paid for and who are not being contacted by Locomotion. Being repeatedly told “everything will turn out all right in the end” by people who have received their models (and possibly someone else’s instead) is not helpful.

Agreed this situation is not on the same scale as being killed in a bridge collapse or drowned in monsoon floods but then most issues like this are - pointing this out is also not helpful.

Darius

• RMweb Premium

Forget phoning?

Why??

I got through in just a few seconds, the potential problem was resolved nearly immediately with info passed on by email.

I think the hanging, flogging and kicking mob tactics might be better directed by contacting, discussing and resolving on a case-by case basis.

• RMweb Gold

Forget phoning?

Why??

I got through in just a few seconds, the potential problem was resolved nearly immediately with info passed on by email.

I think the hanging, flogging and kicking mob tactics might be better directed by contacting, discussing and resolving on a case-by case basis.

I am glad you got through straight away and got the issue resolved. Each time I have called I have got through to the automated reply and had to leave a recorded message. Emails get an automated reply that contact will me made within 5 days. This has been the experience of several others and it is somewhat dispiriting especially when no reply is forthcoming.

I don’t want anyone to be hung or flogged for this, I just want the courtesy of a reply. If this is so bad that it is going to take months to resolve then I would like to know.

Darius

PS - At least on this thread you get a reply from someone. You may not like it but you do get a reply.

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

That's just how I feel. I am waiting for a replacement for the one delivered on 1 August with the bodged paint touch-up on the tender.

Rapido Repairs gave me a slightly wrong e-mail address and thet's why my messages didn't get to them. They now tell me they have contacted Locomotion to get a new one to me and get the original collected but I'm not holding my breath. An e-mail to Locomotion has been well over the 5 days reply they quote without an answer and as for the telephone, forget it! I presume I will get one eventually but I don't like the sound of the returns one bit. If this was the real world of commerce I would be livid. I certainly won't order anything from Locomotion again. Thank goodness the Dynamometer Car and O gauge Boxhill are from Rails. I am trying not to think about it by working on four GWR outside frame 4-4-0s!

Hi,

Could I ask how you would do it??

Yes unfortunately whilst typing the reply to your message using the iPhone it did for some unbeknown reason change the spelling of the the word Rapido which then caused problems with the email address.

The warranty replacement models are kept at Locomotion as this is the easiest way to exchange models as the new replacement one can be sent out and the one with issues collected at the same time.

The other method is to have the customer post thier model back to Locomotion, once it’s arrived it’s then exchanged and then the new one sent out. This may take a few days or even longer if it arrives on a weekend or before a bank holiday.

Now I have the spare parts as I have the list of what goes where on the model and it’s easier for me to make sure any queries and if needed any parts are sent out to you the customer. If a replacement model is needed I then request this from locomotion as they will have your details on The order system.

Not sure how we could change it, suggestions in a postcard please.

I can’t speak for them but The locomotion team are working as quickly as they can to resolve the outstanding issues that are there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Forget phoning?

Why??

I called on Wednesday, am still awaiting the call back.

I also emailed on thursday, I am awaiting that response too.

I’ve got other things to do besides pestering them all day.

As said elsewhere, nothing will get solved by shouting or being impolite, but ultimately there are other avenues that can be explored if it ever came to it. My model is bought and paid for, if your money isn’t safe with the NRM, there really isn’t any hope for the whole hobby, and if the NRM did a runner, i’d put a claim against the full size stanier 2-6-4T 42500 as adequate compensation ;-)

ive moved my patience from green to double amber, given the firewall of silence, good will is being used, but seeing as (a) I am not alone, and (b) models are still out there waiting to be collected, there’s still confidence it will turn out good.

It seems more time is needed, if things turn ultimately red, by choice or not, i’d Just go for a refund and await one on ebay.

Edited by adb968008

As said elsewhere, nothing will get solved by shouting or being impolite, but ultimately there are other avenues that can be explored if it ever came to it. My model is bought and paid for, if your money isn’t safe with the NRM, there really isn’t any hope for the whole hobby, and if the NRM did a runner, i’d put a claim against the full size stanier 2-6-4T 42500 as adequate compensation ;-)

ive moved my patience from green to double amber, given the firewall of silence, good will is being used, but seeing as (a) I am not alone, and (b) models are still out there waiting to be collected, there’s still confidence it will turn out good.

It seems more time is needed, if things turn ultimately red, by choice or not, i’d Just go for a refund and await one on ebay.

Thing is you could end up paying way over the odds for one on Feabay.

Your feelings are just like mine, but being outside-EU my paid-for DC model ought to be in the mail, Stuart said he had finished sending DC versions o'seas last week, and some have been received in Australia, I am in NZ.  The usual thing is to give the o'seas post three weeks then if not received ask questions, or money back.

The worrying thing is that Locomotion appear not to have spare capacity for email answering or even despatch advice, it's not a very pleasant buying experience..

Hi,

Could I ask how you would do it??

Yes unfortunately whilst typing the reply to your message using the iPhone it did for some unbeknown reason change the spelling of the the word Rapido which then caused problems with the email address.

The warranty replacement models are kept at Locomotion as this is the easiest way to exchange models as the new replacement one can be sent out and the one with issues collected at the same time.

The other method is to have the customer post thier model back to Locomotion, once it’s arrived it’s then exchanged and then the new one sent out. This may take a few days or even longer if it arrives on a weekend or before a bank holiday.

Now I have the spare parts as I have the list of what goes where on the model and it’s easier for me to make sure any queries and if needed any parts are sent out to you the customer. If a replacement model is needed I then request this from locomotion as they will have your details on The order system.

Not sure how we could change it, suggestions in a postcard please.

I can’t speak for them but The locomotion team are working as quickly as they can to resolve the outstanding issues that are there.

You personally have been friendly and helpful and I have been very pleased.

Locomotion, however are totally out of their depth and seem to be using an incompetent carrier to boot. There is little to do but wait. For returns, it would be better to have a Royal Mail label sent and then at least you would have a receipt and could send it back at a time to suit yourself and not wait for a carrier who may or may not come. If it does come to that I suggest taking a photograph of the handover as proof that it has gone back if the carrier does not give receipts and recording the registration of the van. 

I am having to look after my wife who is in the early stages of dementia and having had one heart attack I was advised to keep as calm as possible and I find modelling is a good way of doing that so I have no wish to get worked up about the much looked forward to Stirling.

I don't blame the staff at Locomotion, who seem to have been well and truly dropped in it. I assume the carrier was the cheapest but it won't work out to be in the end, surely. Someone must be masterminding all this, however, and a statement that they have learned from their mistakes and that it won't be allowed to happen again would be much appreciated.

My experience of the telephone has been one of recorded messages so some have been luckier than me. E-mails can only be answered if they have time. When I was working I tried to answer them all immediately as there is nothing worse than having a backlog when you have other important things to do. Unlike letters, people expect a prompt reply.

It is all a matter of staff levels. If Locomotion is run on a shoestring they are in no position to take on a large volume operation unless it can more-or-less run itself efficiently. The staff would then have time to attend to returns/problems. Their website is not kept properly up-to-date (essential) and their ordering/dispatch  system needs to be accessible by the  customer who then can at least see what is going on.

That's my thoughts on the subject, anyway.

Edited by Floreat Industria

Quote "E-mails can only be answered if they have time. When I was working I tried to answer them all immediately as there is nothing worse than having a backlog when you have other important things to do. Unlike letters, people expect a prompt reply."

Having worked in a shop mail room, In the time it took me to answer one email I could have packed and booked an average of three parcels. Having to answer emails really does slow things down significantly

Edited by WD0-6-0