Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

But regained them on preservation, as did the Sturock tender. Which leads me to question why the NRM did not reinstall them on the Stirling tender.

What exactly were these side chains for. I know the Bluebell Metropolitans have them?

Belt in belt and braces in case of main coupling failure? Why in 1905 were they no longer necessary? Improved quality of coupling steel?

Sorry lots of questions

Probably due to the development of air and vacuum brakes. Once they arrived on the scene, if the coupling broke, the train would stop. Before that, it just ran on.

Mine arrived about an hour ago with an extra UPS charge of Can$61.21.  This appears to cover HST and various other 'fees'.  As opened, one 'extra' piece in the box and one complete front chain and one with only one link on it otherwise 'as advertised'.  However, Locomotion did supply two extra chains with a note about QA issues and a reference to the production of future coaches later this year.  I'm not sure how well the old chains are attached to the buffer beam but removing them to put on the replacements could be 'interesting'.  Same situation for the removal of the tender coupling hook to replace it with the second proper coupling.  The extra piece in the box is a thin silver coloured strip of metal with pronged ends.  Quick look says this might have come from the tender just above the coupling housing.  Otherwise a Happy Camper.  Will be fitting extra detail bits in due course and perhaps giving it a trial run.  After that it is into the display cabinet.

• Like 1

But regained them on preservation, as did the Sturock tender. Which leads me to question why the NRM did not reinstall them on the Stirling tender.

What exactly were these side chains for. I know the Bluebell Metropolitans have them?

Belt in belt and braces in case of main coupling failure? Why in 1905 were they no longer necessary? Improved quality of coupling steel?

Sorry lots of questions

Let me understand, you are not suggesting that side chains were restored to the tender with which No.1 is currently paired, rather, you are questioning why they have not been?

If so, I do not know.  A question for NRM.

I do not know why the GN removed the side chains when it did.  The change in practice is an interesting point. On the LSWR, for example, I am not aware that any Drummond Class (i.e. locomotives built from 1897) was ever fitted with side chains, yet the Adams classes, which were, seem to have retained theirs until at least WW1.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure how well the old chains are attached to the buffer beam but removing them to put on the replacements could be 'interesting'.

The side chains on mine just seemed to be a tight push fit, so I was able to pull them out with tweezers on the piece which goes into the buffer beam, and I fitted the new ones in the same way - I don't think I needed to use any glue to keep them in.  I did use glue (cyano) to keep the vacuum pipes in place, as I found these were too tight to push in so I reduced the size of the peg (by scraping the red paint off), which then made them a loose fit!

I am starting to get concerned.

I sent an email last week just confirming my order but there was no reply. I realise they have been run off their feet but a simple, short reply would have been suffice.

I live in Australia and have a private post office box and I check every week, but still, there is nothing.

I am considering cancelling my order and getting a credit on my credit card.

Edited by Seanf

I sent an email last week just confirming my order but there was no reply. I realise they have been run off their feet but a simple, short reply would have been suffice.

I live in Australia and have a private post office box and I check every week, but still, there is nothing.

May I introduce you to a simple concept, old, much maligned and greatly neglected. It's called 'Patience'. Give the poor beggars a chance.

Edited by Methuselah

From what ive read in this thread they have only just this week sent out overseas orders so maybe give it another week or try and get in touch with them again

• RMweb Premium

I ordered mine 3 1/4 years ago and it just arrived today.  I think you may have a little wait.   :jester:

Let me understand, you are not suggesting that side chains were restored to the tender with which No.1 is currently paired, rather, you are questioning why they have not been?

If so, I do not know.  A question for NRM.

I do not know why the GN removed the side chains when it did.  The change in practice is an interesting point. On the LSWR, for example, I am not aware that any Drummond Class (i.e. locomotives built from 1897) was ever fitted with side chains, yet the Adams classes, which were, seem to have retained theirs until at least WW1.

Indeed, from photos I can see, the side chains have NOT been restored on the Stirling tender.

However I am also suggesting that I can't see any holes for the chains on the tender pre-restoration, which either means it never had them, OR the buffer beam was replaced either during its service or departmental life (and I'd suspect the former if so)

Why?

How will that help you to get a model that you (presumably as you ordered it in the first place) want?

Surely you would be better waiting, or contacting them again, rather than cancelling?

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Gold

May I introduce you to a simple concept, old, much maligned and greatly neglected. It's called 'Patience'. Give the poor beggars a chance.

Having paid a lot of money some time ago for two "silent" Stirling singles not yet received and, after contacting Locomotion two weeks ago only to have the standard reply and then an "I'm sorry but its out of our hands" reply, I think that telling someone to be patient is somewhat patronising at best, especially when that person sees lots of images of people fondling their newly arrived models.

I like Locomotion and the models that they produce and I am sure that they do not want to be in the situation that they are in, however, when things go wrong is when the measure of a company is made and alas in the UK the track record of companies shining in this respect is total rubbish.

I have contacted Locomotion yet again to see if they have any idea of when they intend to fulfil the order.   I shall await their reply with patience.

Darius

I understand your frustration but if it's already been posted then it lands you in a rather silly predicament. You'll get your money back but if it's been posted it will arrive, then you'll end up with a model that you have either got to go to the hassle of returning or paying for again, if you find that you do really like it and suddenly want to keep it. Chances are both of which will incur a fee of either postage or exchange rates.

I appreciate that being told to be patient can come across as patronising but is that not the best course of action?

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit it at a week shy of a month since they started shipping, here in the UK, that maybe being patient hasn’t paid off and maybe something untoward happened to mine if they are now shipping off to the rest of the world.

APC was 24 hour delivery, so I would assume after 3 1/2 weeks the excess would have been collected and redistributed, similarly that 24 hour shipping we paid for would surely now be in dispute and subject to refund.

I did phone yesterday, and email, but thus far got no response, beyond the answerphone, didn’t add to my confidence.

I hope I don’t end up with the last one off the shelf, mongrel of the bunch, with a scruffy box as a reward for my patience.

A little “revised” update would be nice, even if it’s a holding statement. If they are still snowed under, it may even reduce the number of enquiries incoming and help their productivity.

Edited by adb968008

I am in Australia and mine arrived today. A day early.

Had a brief look and will check it out later today.

Brilliant looking model.  My thanks go to the NRM/Locomotion and Rapido for producing a model of the GNR Stirling Single.

Photo below is of preserved Single at Shildon in May 2011.  Chimney is in the foreground.

Mark in Oz

post-7319-0-59783500-1534725656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Markeg
  • Like 1

Not a very Happy Camper.  Two hours of 'fettling' and 'fitting'.  To expand.  For both splashers the fitting shoulders (with the screws) were too high so that when the splasher was screwed in there was a gap between the cylinder bottom and the splasher top.  Had to trim the sprue on the splasher fit face and had to expand the cylinder opening to get enough clearance so that the splashers would fit.  The mounting lugs did not line up with the screws and had to open them out, managed to damage the lining a bit with all the handling.  Still not really happy with the fit but I'm not sure I can get it better - se comment about cylinder casing.  Then the usual filing the vacuum pipe and coupling lugs to get them to fit into their holes.  Now to the as received condition.  The cylinder outside covers do not appear to line up with the casting and are at an angle.  Perhaps this is the way they should be but it results in a less than perfect fit of the splashers.  There is a rivet on the front of the cylinder that gets in the way of the splasher front section and basically means that the splashers are either in or out.  Both the upper splashers between the cab and the cylinder were not all the way home at the front.  Fixed.  However, on one side there is a white residue from what looks superglue on the running plate and even worse the paint next to it looks like plastic that has been exposed to solvent.  Splasher is wonky and moves around.  Finally, have two pieces, one a wire and the other a section of shiny metal strip over.  Cannot figure where they go.  Tomorrow will spend some time and try to get pictures, but it may be a bit tricky with my camera.  

Splashers fitted OK on mine when set in towards the wheels but I cannot get them to fit for 18" curves without a bit of trimming.

The shiny metal strip could be one of the strips that goes from the cab to the 8' splashers. One of mine fell off. It fits into a small hole in the front of the cab and sits in an indentation on the splasher. I refitted mine by using a very small amount of PVA on the strip where it fits on the splasher.  Still on at the moment.

Thks 10000, thats exactly where it goes.  After extracting the plastic hook from the tender, which came out easily, and attaching the dummy 3 link, I have just given it a test run.  Fantastic is all I can say.  Now to decide what to do about the other issues.  Not that easy to return to the UK because I am in Canada, but that just happens to be the home of Rapido!  Will ponder a while.  

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today having taken days to get from Dublin by UPS. In the end they could not find my house (they say) and I agreed they could leave it at the local post office which they did.

I have collected it and looking forward to having a good look at it later.

Speechless.

Really? See below..

My two spares are STILL awaiting APC to collect so assume nothing.

Personal communication with another triple recipient would suggest that you are not the only one. With wrongly delivered, valuable items not collected in a speedy and efficient way, plus a tale somewhere above of a second attempt to collect an item already collected just days before by the very same courier, how credible are claims that all items have been tracked and that the situation is under control?

Reading the DCC sound part of the booklet (I brought plain DC loco because I thought it would never have anything to pull so pointless spending extra on sound in this case), I discovered that it has DCC controlled firebox flicker. This would have been a first in UK massed produced RTR but Dapol beat them to it.

So I was curious to see if this lights up on the plain DC model and sure enough it does, not bright because the fire hole is in close position and light escapes around the sides of the door (so it's somewhat stifled). I did prod it with a cocktail to stick to see if it swivelled open. Hellas I don,t think so. Maybe it opens automatically when the coal shovel sound is activated in DCC mode - now that would be something - but I doubt it.

The booklet also says there are tabs in the firebox to solder on lamp wires. So overall the 8 pin plug drawbar really adds a lot of DCC functionality without having to add more wires between loco and tender (I have a C class with 6 wires just to include firebox glow on that model, the working lamp was added to the tender and being a southern loco, it got discs on the front but imagine if Bachmann had done the same). The one thing missing is instructions on how to get inside the loco itself, hopefully that will be added on line (so I can zoom in too).

Edited by JSpencer