Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Premium

Caledonian 123 has no outside valve gear or rods, so no quartering issues etc., and a perfect follow-on to No. 1.

The problem is it isn't in the NRM so I can't see Locomotion doing it. I think you would have to ask the Scottish Railway Museum (whatever it's called now).

The MR Spinner is though and is another locomotive that has worked in preservation. Hint, hint. ;)

Jason

.....  Aerolite

• Like 3

Nice thought that now Rapido have a concealed single mechanism layout proven, it should be exploited for all the other hit singles. But in what order? Bay city rollers, Wurzels, Dire Straits, oh damn, never been anything entertaining out of Derby, bit stuck there...

Surely quartering is still relevant.

Only to get balance weights on the wheels (if there are any, could all be balanced on the internal cranks) correctly positioned on an inside cylinder single. I'd wager you could put the balance weights anywhere between in phase and antiphase and very few would notice until it was pointed out.

• Like 4

Has anyone heard of the date the Single is due in stock? Last I heard was a generalisation of June, hoping it may be due in the same shipment as the Evening Star Steam locos so I can pick them both up when I visit locomotion at the end of the month.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone heard of the date the Single is due in stock? Last I heard was a generalisation of June, hoping it may be due in the same shipment as the Evening Star Steam locos so I can pick them both up when I visit locomotion at the end of the month.

They'll be coming from 2 different manufacturers & factories,  so I would doubt if they're a combined shipment.

Is it on the DVD for us paper subscribers?

No (the clip above said that it's only in the Digital Edition); the DVD is produced several weeks ahead of the magazine and the Stirling Single was last through the doors before closing for press. I can ask if they will put it on a later DVD as an extra.

Pity you couldn't find some more suitable carriages for it to pull.

All the videos I've seen show it with some Mark 1 coaches hanging off the back; dunno what you mean. :P

The intro to the video asks "Is this the best British OO model yet?

Shouldn't that be "Is this the best OO model of a British loco yet?". Made in China, designed by a Canadian Company, sold in Britain.

• Like 3

Made in China, designed by a Canadian Company, sold in Britain.

A British prototype commissioned by a British museum thanks to a Yorkshireman, scanned by a man from Kent, designed by a Great Western modeller from Connecticut working for a Canadian company and made in a factory in China with warranty work provided by a man in Durham and ordered by people all over the globe. I think that's a fairer balance.

• Like 8

A British prototype commissioned by a British museum thanks to a Yorkshireman, scanned by a man from Kent, designed by a Great Western modeller from Connecticut working for a Canadian company and made in a factory in China with warranty work provided by a man in Durham and ordered by people all over the globe. I think that's a fairer balance.

Globalisation at its best then?

Still doesn't make it British if it is manufactured in China. However, given the frothing that surrounds such models and the enthusiasm shown by those who have ordered it, then I expect that they will all share your point of view.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

It is a model of a British loco; it's not a Chinese loco is it? Maybe it's loose phraseology but I made the point about how many parties are involved and the chances are it does more for all those involved than a British kit of a British loco which a few dozen British modellers may buy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Still doesn't make it British if it is manufactured in China. However, given the frothing that surrounds such models and the enthusiasm shown by those who have ordered it, then I expect that they will all share your point of view.

Never mind - you can populate your layout with the best of Hornby’s Margate production on your super 4 steel track.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

Never mind - you can populate your layout with the best of Hornby’s Margate production on your super 4 steel track.

Cheers

Darius

Sorry to disappoint you Darius, but this is the sort of thing with which I populate my layout.

post-1191-0-82124000-1528916101_thumb.jpg

Built from a kit designed by an Englishman and manufactured in England using parts sourced in the UK (the only imported item being a Japanese motor), running on hand built trackwork from components also produced in England. Quite simply, I choose to model a particular era and railway and the only way to do that is to make my own models. If I relied upon a RTR manufacturer or commissioner then I couldn't do what I want to do.

• Like 5

All the videos I've seen show it with some Mark 1 coaches hanging off the back; dunno what you mean. :P

This video is posted on the Locomotion Facebook page:-

https://www.facebook.com/LocomotionSHD/videos/10156201866311136/?q=locomotion%20the%20national%20railway%20museum%20at%20shildon&filters_rp_creation_time=%7B%22name%22%3A%22creation_time%22%2C%22args%22%3A%22%7B%5C%22start_year%5C%22%3A%5C%222018%5C%22%2C%5C%22start_month%5C%22%3A%5C%222018-01%5C%22%2C%5C%22end_year%5C%22%3A%5C%222018%5C%22%2C%5C%22end_month%5C%22%3A%5C%222018-12%5C%22%7D%22%7D

(Not that I like Facebook in any way.)

For reference the four coaches (52' non-vestibule of four designs) are mine, made by me in England, from materials made in Margate  and elsewhere in the UK.

The goods train on the other track was also built in County Durham, by me. However, it does use a lot of Evergreen sheet/rod/other sections. This is, I believe imported from the USA.

The coaches are fairly smooth running, but are quite heavy. The Single appeared to cope with them easily!!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1

How much of the material is actually British though?

Jason

That is a question you can ask of most raw material (in this case largely nickel silver, brass and whitemetal) in most countries. I only know that the components were all sourced through UK suppliers, casters, etc. or produced in house. The cost of basic materials is a very small proportion of the manufacturing cost, production overheads, wages, taxes, etc. being considerably greater.

The intro to the video asks "Is this the best British OO model yet?

Shouldn't that be "Is this the best OO model of a British loco yet?". Made in China, designed by a Canadian Company, sold in Britain.

Feel free to produce some RTR coaches for it. It'll save everyone a heap of time. :-)

• Like 1

Feel free to produce some RTR coaches for it. It'll save everyone a heap of time. :-)

No thanks, I model the LNWR. I believe Bill Bedford produced some resin cast GNR coach kits and elsewhere on RMweb there is a thread by Mike Trice on his 3D printed six wheel coaches.

Of course, these aren't RTR models so may not be outside your field of interest. Perhaps you can persuade Locomotion/Rapido to produce those for you. They may be a bit reluctant to do so as coach sales are not often in proportion to loco sales volumes, so the development costs, sales volumes and revenue may not make it worthwhile.

Of course if you think there is sufficient demand and it'll save enough people a heap of time, why don't you commission them?

• RMweb Gold
FFS. :) :)

You obviously like it a teeny little bit because you must have been looking at it to find the video and liked it enough to share said video.

Edited by Colin_McLeod