Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2020 at 20:43, Guardian said:

Hi Jeremy,

May I kindly ask you to disclose the size of the decoder used? As I intend to use either a Zimo MX616 (8x8x2.4 mm) or MX617 (13x9x2.5 mm), I am trying to find out the space available to order a decoder of suitable dimensions.

Best regards

Mark 

I have successfully installed a Zimo MX617N in both of my B4s with no trouble in that respect. I did dislodge the cylinders, drop an axle on the carpet and knock a roof off, but the decoder went in perfectly, after removing 2mm from the pins.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

On 29/06/2020 at 19:25, Mick Bonwick said:

I have successfully installed a Zimo MX617N in both of my B4s with no trouble in that respect. I did dislodge the cylinders, drop an axle on the carpet and knock a roof off, but the decoder went in perfectly, after removing 2mm from the pins.

I had no trouble with the actually decoder using a Gaugemaster DCC23, which was fitted without the need for shortening the pins.

I did suffer similarly though. Having been very careful to replace the keeper plate I was unprepared for the cylinder blocks to come away and have the valve gear almost instantly disassemble on me, Had the devils own job with a magnifier and tweezers and thought I had wrecked the model but did manage to my relief to reassemble and all works fine now thankfully!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the comprehensive inputs on the B4--most interesting.

I have Just received 30096 dcc fitted and it looks an excellent model.

I want to change the couplings --can this be done minus keeper plate removal---and is the coupling fitted to a nem pocket.I want to fit dmu type couplings.

Also although there are lots of B4 reviews I have yet to find one that covers the running assessment of the ready dcc fitted model. I would be grateful to hear of any assessments.

I will be using my loco for the 71B coal wagon operation,possibly permanently fixed to a wagon especially if  extra wagon pick ups are needed? I also need to change the identity to 30093.

Is this easily done?

Thank you,

Ed Plant

5 minutes ago, ed 66 plant said:

I want to change the couplings --can this be done minus keeper plate removal---and is the coupling fitted to a nem pocket.I want to fit dmu type couplings.

Also although there are lots of B4 reviews I have yet to find one that covers the running assessment of the ready dcc fitted model. I would be grateful to hear of any assessments.

I will be using my loco for the 71B coal wagon operation,possibly permanently fixed to a wagon especially if  extra wagon pick ups are needed? I also need to change the identity to 30093.

Is this easily done?

Thank you,

Ed Plant

Yes the coupling is in a NEM pocket and should simply pull out. 

Can't answer your question on running qualities of DCC fitted models but I'm sure there's others who have them or fitted their own decoders. 

Ive not found it necessary to have additional pickups, mine and others I've seen running run perfectly fine on their own. 

Changing identities is pretty simple I can't speak for how easy Dapol printing is to remove but again others have done it already in the thread im sure. 

While programming the decoder in my latest factory fitted dcc B4 30084, for some reason I checked what make of decoder was fitted, it says in the notes that they are fitted with a Dapol Imperium 6 pin decoder, I have never seen one of these decoders, the ECoS showed it was fitted with a Gaugemaster decoder, i brought 2 Gaugemaster DCC93 decoders for my 2 DC B4's in both the decoder fitted perfectly with no modifications,  I will have to get one of the first batch of factory fitted B4's to see what make of decoder is fitted

4 hours ago, ed 66 plant said:

Is this easily done?

Thank you,

Ed Plant

Warned by Jenny Kirk’s review, I got a DCC fitted  Guernsey. It runs beautifully.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ed 66 plant said:

I also need to change the identity to 30093.

Is this easily done?

If changing the number is all you require, no problem as others have said.

If you want a more accurate 30093 a few other things might need changing.

Unlike 30096, 93 never carried a late BR crest. It didn't have the large add on cover on the cab back plate to accommodate the brake handle and the cab front plate was never cut away and later in filled plated as per 96. 

Ian

Thanks all for your 2 pennoths.

Have since run the model and it is as impressive as its looks--most impressed and well done Dapol.

In the absence of decoder programming instructions in the owner,s manual have accessed the Dapol Imperium support cv list V1.0 on the internet and have rendered it ok for slow shed movement,

Have tried to get the couplings off by pulling strongly but no luck--I suppose I am frightened of breaking something.There appears no way of compressing the lugs on the coupling in the nem pocket to facilitate removal?

regards,

Ed

1 hour ago, ed 66 plant said:

Thanks all for your 2 pennoths.

Have since run the model and it is as impressive as its looks--most impressed and well done Dapol.

In the absence of decoder programming instructions in the owner,s manual have accessed the Dapol Imperium support cv list V1.0 on the internet and have rendered it ok for slow shed movement,

Have tried to get the couplings off by pulling strongly but no luck--I suppose I am frightened of breaking something.There appears no way of compressing the lugs on the coupling in the nem pocket to facilitate removal?

regards,

Ed

Some couplings require a very hard pull. In such cases, sometimes I use fine nosed pliers to press the fishtails together. Hold the loco in one hand, the pliers in the other and pull the coupling out with your third hand. Easy.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

I got one of my  original factory fitted DCC out and checked the make of decoder fitted, they were supplied with Gaugemaster 6pin decoders, one of my B4's was brought as a poor runner from Hattons for its body, one of my original batch of B4's was running on the rolling road the dog saw something in the garden and ran out into the garden, on the way out she took some of the electric cables with her, the rolling road and loco on the floor, the damage was missing chimney and a chunk out of one the side tanks, removing the donor body from its chassis the reason for poor running was obvious a peice of hand rail wire across the magnet poles shorting on the armature, the wire was removed and the chassis ran perfectly,  the damaged body was repaired and fitted to the now working chassis, last week I managed to get a new replacement body from DCC supplies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/07/2020 at 12:28, ed 66 plant said:

Is this easily done?

Thank you,

Ed Plant

Hi Ed 

As others have stated the couplings are in NEM pockets but they do need quite a pull to get them out and due to the swing built in to the mounting of the pocket they can be a bit of a devil to get the couplings back in (although as you are using different couplings this might not be an issue).

My tried and trusted method of removing the Dapol printing is good quality enamel thinners and a cotton bud. I explain the method here 

https://grahammuz.com/2020/07/10/workbench-witterings-7-what-were-these-b4/

But also as others have advised check the details between the two prototypes to ensure that they are correct, such as cab style, tool box positions etc., or modify to suit. 

Even if not renumbering, the BR version are improved immensely just by the addition of etched smokebox door plates from Brian at 247 Developments, he does all he B4 numbers (he also now does a nice etch for the engine headsignal discs while you are at it) 

See https://www.247developments.co.uk/#

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gentlemen----Eureka--with the use of mole grips and a persistent steady pull the couplings came away quite easily in the end.Have now fitted my preferred coupling for freight activity--Dmu type--often minus the bar on the loco to facilitate operations.

Next job 247 for white painted SR discs and the smokebox no. plate.

Thanks again all for your support---extremely helpful to a plodder like me!

Ed

2 hours ago, ed 66 plant said:

Gentlemen----Eureka--with the use of mole grips and a persistent steady pull the couplings came away quite easily in the end.Have now fitted my preferred coupling for freight activity--Dmu type--often minus the bar on the loco to facilitate operations.

Next job 247 for white painted SR discs and the smokebox no. plate.

Thanks again all for your support---extremely helpful to a plodder like me!

Ed

Awaiting you order  

Just to add my two-pennorth. I have two Dapol B4s, standard (Analogue) running, and they are perfect in every way, very pleased. As someone else mentioned, the firebox glow on the Rails / Dapol Terrier is a bit fierce! whereas the B4 looks realistic. NO problems or nagging here, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Now put on the B4 smokebox no plate ex 247 Dev along with  a SR route disc--looks really enhanced.

Incidentally the discs are the best I have come across--really detailed and fine --and ready painted white  if that is your wish.

I have also set a top scale speed of 18mph and that appears quite realistic --and at that and slower speeds it runs thro, electrofrog points very well.

Am now busy putting discs on my other locos.

Question ref. loco lamps--are the Modelu fine and able to be handled?

regards,Ed

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ed 66 plant said:

Now put on the B4 smokebox no plate ex 247 Dev along with  a SR route disc--looks really enhanced.

Incidentally the discs are the best I have come across--really detailed and fine --and ready painted white  if that is your wish.

I have also set a top scale speed of 18mph and that appears quite realistic --and at that and slower speeds it runs thro, electrofrog points very well.

Am now busy putting discs on my other locos.

Question ref. loco lamps--are the Modelu fine and able to be handled?

regards,Ed

Modelu Lamps are extremely fine, and some care has to be taken with the handle. 

I'd love to see some photos of the 247 discs, and your tarted up B4!

Jack---have enlisted help from my youngest son so hopefully I can now attach them and forward.

The progression of B4 pics illustrates how I developed things on-finally raiding my wife,s jewellery box for the chain.Incidentally one side view of the B4 and wagon shows the best I can get out of the DMU coupling--taking the wire hoop off and paring back to make it less obtrusive but quite functional--I find this helps both with coupling and uncoupling.However the NEM boxes need to be at the same height.

Have also attached pics of my Lord Nelson similarly treated.

Have just discovered that I can only send 10mb so in abbreviated form

Am now looking for fine loco lamps to put on my W.R. and Sand D locos--should the W.R be red body coloured?

Have enjoyed doing this simple bit of enhancement-to me it looks good and is within my capability.

Thanks to 247  for the smokebox no. and S.R loco disc and,my late wife for the chain,

regards,

Ed

ps -I repeat I really rate this  Dapol B4 model --my first and quite probably not my last.

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

• Like 12
  • Agree 1