DJ Models - J94 Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Are any of these offerings, apart from BR Early crest, relevant to an early 1950's layout... ?

If you're working with an exchange siding, then I'd guess so. Being 1950's, austerities were still pretty new, so you're likely to have a pristine loco. NCB, British Steel (early 1960's), pre-nationalised steel, opencast, In fact, any location.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the MSC variant. Arthur of this parish has done a very nice rendition; well worth the wait.

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

I've just taken out my 002 model, after being stowed away for a year. I've lightly oiled the loco for testing. Nothing, zilch. The other two models are just fine & dandy. As others have suggested, I've cleaned behind the wheels (thanks folks).

I finally tracked the fault down to a dry joint on the 'chip' socket. I moved that, and it took off like a scolded cat.... "Slow down yer bu**er!"

So, here's the problem. I see that there are 4 wires leading back into the loco body; 2 black, 2 red. I'm a DC luddite; I'll never chip the loco. So..... which ones do I cut & rejoin?

Any insight or such is, as usual, gratefully received.

Cheers,

Ian.

Update 5th December. Well, success of sorts. Having taken out the chip socket, and the blanking plug, I thought I'd give it another try. The loco exhibited fits & starts, which meant a partial fault somewhere. It couldn't be a complete fault; after all, electricity was getting through now & again. I did find a fault in the transverse movement of the axles. the leading & middle axles moved across beautifully, but the rear drivers? Oh dear! So, out with a dab of electrolube, and after a while, we had movement with all 3 axles. Back to the rolling road, and lo & behold, powered movement. However, it's still fits & starts, which leads me to possibly conclude that there may indeed, be a dry, or partial joint on the board.

I may hardwire the circuit, and circumvent the board. I've reasoned that the 4 board cables are just an inserted portion of the process, so I may go down that route. I know I'll lose DCC capability, but I'll willingly trade fancy gimmicks for absolute reliability. Me? Luddite? You don't say!

Naturally, any input from fellow RM Webbers is gratefully received.

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Can't remember when I received my J94, it is early BR 68023. It's a beautiful looking little model but until today it hadn't been run so  i put on the rolling road....................runs like dream, that quiet I forgot it was running...well pleased.

Thanks Dave, great model......I still think you should do a LMS Kitson saddle tank ;)  ;)

Mike

• RMweb Gold

After a bit more cajoling, I'm pleased to say my 18" austerity is also running sweetly. I can only put it down to the loco being boxed away for 2 years. I didn't hard wire the board, although it can remain an option if need be. With a loco Like this, I suggest running the loco in an inverted state (upside down) for a little while. This will hopefully allow the oil to move through the geartrain. In it's present format, I surmised the top gears will dry out soonest. I did consider using a small dab of motorcycle chain lube; its thixotropic qualities hopefully keeping the lube on the teeth for longer periods. However, I don't know what the effects of the lube will have on the nylon-based plastic gears. More information is definitely needed before we go messing up the system.

All that remains is to await the release of the MSC version of the model. Add to that, a model of Haulwen No2, a long-term resident of Mountain Ash. Finally, 'Rennes', a Longmoor resident, and ,in  a previous guise, our very own Mountain Ash No8. Each has a spot allocated to my yet-to-be built locomotive shed, I'm just awaiting Dave to get his daps on....

Happy modelling, everyone!

Ian.  

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

HI Allan . can you tell me what lenz decoder you have used in your j94 as i have tried a gauge master and a zen decoder in mine and it ran like pants with them cheers kevin

I was advised to use a zen as mine (the LMR one) didn’t run too smoothly. I would advise taking the wheels out and cleaning the axles- these are part of the circuit so if they are gunned up with lubricant the engine won’t perform well.

Any chance from DJM of another LMR one? There are certainly plenty to choose from.

I suggest everybody with a interest in DJ Models reads his webpage. He says he is not doing forums anymore, and to contact him direct via email . He hasn't been on this forum since October.

There is a PDF on his webpage re above message.

• RMweb Gold

I suggest everybody with a interest in DJ Models reads his webpage. He says he is not doing forums anymore, and to contact him direct via email . He hasn't been on this forum since October.

There is a PDF on his webpage re above message.

Hardly surprising really. Beat with a stick so long until you get a desired result. The question has to be if the actual result is one that you want.

Dapol had these problems, so no wonder they got out of forums. It didn't stop them from making models, but they did withdraw from providing privy information.

I'm now wondering if DJ will continue making the 18" Austerity, especially in 4mm. There are 3 models I'd like to buy, which it would seem are now on the back burner.

Hmmm.

Happy new year, everyone.

Ian.

HI  Allan  . can you tell me what lenz   decoder  you have used in your j94   as i have tried a gauge master  and  a zen decoder  in mine and it ran like pants  with them cheers kevin

Hi,

This is the one I use had no issues https://railsofsheffield.com/products/16875/digital-plus-by-lenz-10311-02-any-scale-silver-mini-0-5-0-8a-with-nem-651-plug

Thanks

Alan

P.s sorry for the delay in getting in touch

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, PMP said:

The J94 tools are held by the company there’s a commercial dispute with, so there won’t be any more until that’s resolved.

That is the general understanding, and yet there was an advert in last months BRM for Expressions of interest in an N gauge version. 

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

That is the general understanding, and yet there was an advert in last months BRM for Expressions of interest in an N gauge version. 

Dave's intent was to offer the Hunslet Austerity in 3 scales. Seems to me he's still keeping to that intention.

I'm sure it's a frustrating time for all, both Dave and the modelling community at large. I wish the guy best wishes.

Ian.

4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Dave's intent was to offer the Hunslet Austerity in 3 scales. Seems to me he's still keeping to that intention.

I'm sure it's a frustrating time for all, both Dave and the modelling community at large. I wish the guy best wishes.

Ian.

Although I wish Dave all the best, and hope I am proved wrong, I would be amazed in the O gauge version ever materialses. In fact I am surprised Dapol haven't run with a 7mm scale austerity/J94 as it would seem like a no brained for a product that would well really well and complement their growing O gauge range. It's now 6 years or so since the initial announcement so I think it is unlikely. It seems like the prospect of the n gauge one is more hopeful.

He has had a rough year so fingers crossed for more positive news from DJM over the coming months.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

The N gauge version won't be from the same factory. The CADs shown were from the previous factory and doubtless will need to be done from scratch again.

It depends who (whom) holds the CAD details. It's only a USB stick away.....

I'm sure DJM will have a factory lined up. They might have some tooling issues, but that's a retrievable situation,  albeit at a cost. The problem is finding a factory that will take on limited scale production. It is, after all, a limited production run, into a limited niche market. It might be niche to you, but not mainstream enough to warrant production time where production runs in the thousands, if not millions.  This is, after all, China.

DJM appears to have focussed on N gauge. Remember that it is their prerogative to do anything they wish. If they do decide to re-release the 00 version austerity, good luck to them.  I'm still in the market for the MSC model, and another 2-3 variations besides. I'm highly unlikely to buy the Hornby model, as the DJM model captured the model perfectly.

Cheers,

Ian.

39 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

It depends who (whom) holds the CAD details. It's only a USB stick away.....

I'm sure DJM will have a factory lined up. They might have some tooling issues, but that's a retrievable situation,  albeit at a cost. The problem is finding a factory that will take on limited scale production. It is, after all, a limited production run, into a limited niche market. It might be niche to you, but not mainstream enough to warrant production time where production runs in the thousands, if not millions.  This is, after all, China.

DJM appears to have focussed on N gauge. Remember that it is their prerogative to do anything they wish. If they do decide to re-release the 00 version austerity, good luck to them.  I'm still in the market for the MSC model, and another 2-3 variations besides. I'm highly unlikely to buy the Hornby model, as the DJM model captured the model perfectly.

Cheers,

Ian.

If he has original CAD files yes. Even then some tarting up to the particularities of the new factory may be required. If they are "show off" files (basically an un-editable 3D file), it will need to be from scratch.

After 5 years, there are doubtless a list of features DJM will want to do anyway.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

If he has original CAD files yes. Even then some tarting up to the particularities of the new factory may be required. If they are "show off" files (basically an un-editable 3D file), it will need to be from scratch.

After 5 years, there are doubtless a list of features DJM will want to do anyway.

I wouldn't disagree with that. Remember that the 'show off files are just that, show off images. I'd be very surprised if there isn't a different set of files knocking about.

We also need to remember that Dave has done a 'Banksy'. We know he's about, but we don't know where!  Perhaps we need to lure him out!

Good luck to the guy.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...