Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2020 at 12:07, jessy1692 said:

Well time has certainly gone a bit fast! Cant quite believe my last post on here was 5th May. The 4th ferry van with the flying box was completed and is on the layout, thought i had posted a pic but clearly not. Since then i have built a bar and a bench in my back garden, the Mrs and lad came back up after 9 weeks 'isolating' which brought me to the end of may, June then kicked off with me helping a mate decorate his new house which turned into a massive can of worms which has kept me occupied after normal work on an evening helping him out with painting and other assorted DIY stuff. Thats all done now so i have my evening back again, so have started some new projects. 

Iv got quite into wagons recently  so have been keeping an eye on ebay through may and june picking up bits and bobs, 2 PWA's were found in a 10 wagon job lot that was purchased for 40 odd quid, quite a bargain- these will be next through the works when some side frames arrive.

As part of a job lot i got a few Horby VDA's and picked up a VBA etched conversion for one as well so work started on that. Nothing too exciting, just filed off all raised detail  and cut out holes for the handle recesses which plasticard was then used to fill in the hole to create the recess. The floppy axle pivots were filed down around the pivot pin to as thin as i dared and one glued solid and the other re mounted but bits of cocktail stick used to limit the radius of turning. Hopefully it will run ok, i know they arnt the best models but theyll do for me.

20200628_160132.jpg.222bcd2d6469833669250be1f8918f32.jpg

20200628_142543.jpg.28556e7c254fc3f00aaa2df1a442ba67.jpg

20200628_142547.jpg.d21edf419d996215682b66b22f1c73be.jpg

20200628_160101.jpg.2c385d81d8189fdb1dcbfe8d711cf6f9.jpg

Hi James I know it's a while back but this post turned up in a search I did. I like what you've done with the VDA's and I've done a couple myself but got a few more to do. I'm interested in how you dealt with the pivot. Your way looks a lot neater than what I've been doing, you didn't cut the pivot pin off at all and does that lower the wagons on the chassis? Also did you replace the wheels at all? 

When I've a bit of time I'll have to have a proper read through your thread, looks very interesting.

Many thanks.

Steve. 

Edited by sb67

7 hours ago, sb67 said:

Hi James I know it's a while back but this post turned up in a search I did. I like what you've done with the VDA's and I've done a couple myself but got a few more to do. I'm interested in how you dealt with the pivot. Your way looks a lot neater than what I've been doing, you didn't cut the pivot pin off at all and does that lower the wagons on the chassis? Also did you replace the wheels at all? 

When I've a bit of time I'll have to have a proper read through your thread, looks very interesting.

Many thanks.

Steve. 

Evening Steve, no worries, had to have a look back myself to remember what I did! Looks to be page 12 if you want to jump back to the VDA bits.

In a nutshell, I took out the axle box things and removed as much as much plastic as I dared from the the surface that the chassis sits on but keeping the pivot for easy locating. Basically I wanted the bits of the suspension that should be attached to sole bar as close to it or even touching it if possible. Can't recall if they are touching as it's been a couple of weeks since iv been to bench.

After that, one of the pivots is glued up rigid and the other left able to pivot but with its pivotability (if that's a word?!?) Limited by gluing bits of cocktail sticks either side of the tail end bit of the bogie.

20200628_160132.jpg.222bcd2d6469833669250be1f8918f32.jpg.20372705f1f1bfefe8cd34b89898d802.jpg

Wheels were swapped our to 12mm wagon wheels I think they are.

Hope this helps, normal modelling service should resume this week now iv finished a few extra curricular jobs after work for mates.

let me know if you have any other questions.

cheers

james

• Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening Steve, no worries, had to have a look back myself to remember what I did! Looks to be page 12 if you want to jump back to the VDA bits.

In a nutshell, I took out the axle box things and removed as much as much plastic as I dared from the the surface that the chassis sits on but keeping the pivot for easy locating. Basically I wanted the bits of the suspension that should be attached to sole bar as close to it or even touching it if possible. Can't recall if they are touching as it's been a couple of weeks since iv been to bench.

After that, one of the pivots is glued up rigid and the other left able to pivot but with its pivotability (if that's a word?!?) Limited by gluing bits of cocktail sticks either side of the tail end bit of the bogie.

20200628_160132.jpg.222bcd2d6469833669250be1f8918f32.jpg.20372705f1f1bfefe8cd34b89898d802.jpg

Wheels were swapped our to 12mm wagon wheels I think they are.

Hope this helps, normal modelling service should resume this week now iv finished a few extra curricular jobs after work for mates.

let me know if you have any other questions.

cheers

james

Thanks for that James, I will try that method. I hacked of quite a lot of plastic with mine pivot and all then glued the axle boxes, it was awkward to relocate them back on without the pivot but they look ok. I like the idea of one of the boxes pivoting a bit too, mine are solid and over some trackwork are a bit lumpy! I must get rid of the plastic wheels though! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Thanks for that James, I will try that method. I hacked of quite a lot of plastic with mine pivot and all then glued the axle boxes, it was awkward to relocate them back on without the pivot but they look ok. I like the idea of one of the boxes pivoting a bit too, mine are solid and over some trackwork are a bit lumpy! I must get rid of the plastic wheels though! 

No probs Steve, deffo worth keeping one axle pivoting, guess how I found that out! I'll try get up to the layout tomorrow and get a snap of how much material I took off the tops. These VDA's run very well with the metal wheels in after the mods so we'll worth it. It does make them look a little low though so you may be able to put 14mm wheels in to cheat the height but I'm happy with mine.

Good luck with yours, be interesting to see how you get on.

All the best

James

On 06/12/2021 at 18:52, sb67 said:

Evening Steve, so just to demonstrate how far I went with shaving them down, I tried pulling one of the free pivoting bogies out and broke it at the pivot, doh!20211207_204805.jpg.7cff2a97571e3cf4e42de7051a5f52cc.jpg20211207_204502.jpg.c59a0e756e7abe85bea3b285fbe1aced.jpg

I think this must have been the one I knew I took a bit too much off, anyway, no harm done all fixable but I hope it shows how much you can take off and they will be ok.

All the best

James

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

And to round off the first evening modelling for a while, some updates on the mk1's.

BCK ready for primer, my dad spotted I'd somehow made it about 3mm too short on both sides so he's spliced a bit in for me. No idea what happened there..

20211207_225151.jpg.6cbeb96dfd61d6a15ab8d37214c9991b.jpg

The FO with centre door is coming on now too.

20211207_225230.jpg.e26c3b3abc63901c7170c85f28ea8378.jpg

Finally the Lounge Car has some more filler applied, hopefully this should see it just about done and ready for the paint shops.

20211207_225158.jpg.7305719372d3f7f0eb041dec292f422d.jpg

Lots to be getting on with so need to get some primer tomorrow. I'll hopefully have the 6 TEA tanks all detailed up and in primer shortly too.

Cheers for looking

James

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

263721337_408511230955688_6165583199489272305_n.jpg.2d464a2f353b2af6967aecdd718146b0.jpg

That's the result of my efforts. The one on the right, it just lowers the height of the wagon a bit, I don't know what wheels I fitted as they were some odd ones from the box but the buffers now line up with the rest of my stock. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

263721337_408511230955688_6165583199489272305_n.jpg.2d464a2f353b2af6967aecdd718146b0.jpg

That's the result of my efforts. The one on the right, it just lowers the height of the wagon a bit, I don't know what wheels I fitted as they were some odd ones from the box but the buffers now line up with the rest of my stock. 

Nice, mine have 12mm 3 holes in, iv got some oaa/Oba wagons on the list to buy if I see them crop up cheap. Nice weathering too, how did you do the washed out look?

9 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Best way to get a OAA is Hornby body, spare sole bars that come with the SPA kit from cambrian and BB W irons. 

Ahh interesting, got a few SPAS in the kit pile so good to know.

Cheers Cheesy

Not checked recently but Stenson models do leaf springs, don't know if they do the one needed for the OAA. And they do brake leavers for the VDA, also, five79 does the roller bearing axlebox from there kit as spares. Useful for modifying different wagons. Instantiers from accurascale , buffers? The nearest cheap sprung would be the spares off either the class 20 or 25. Not quite accurate but passable. Brake pipes from replica and underbody brake gear from Stenson models again. 

• Informative/Useful 2

22 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Nice, mine have 12mm 3 holes in, iv got some oaa/Oba wagons on the list to buy if I see them crop up cheap. Nice weathering too, how did you do the washed out look?

Thank you. The fading was a light overspray of a light dust paint from Com Art. A method the late great Mick Bonwick told me about. One of the rare times I've used an airbrush too, the trick is to put on a really fine coat, after that various washes and finishing off with powders. 

I do like weathering and like trying different techniques, cant seem to avoid the airbrush though for subtle effects. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Well Christmas didn't give me much time to get some modelling in and when I did get time the weather was terrible so no spraying could be done so progress has been very slow. Work last week was absolute carnage so again I didn't much time at the bench...

However, things have been moving slowly and bits and bobs acquired, so as it stands the 6 TEA'S are all in primer and awaiting a decent day to spray top coat grey, then the transfers need a coat of varnish before I can apply them but the are coming on.

20220109_223100.jpg.087bb9ec153350693f2136f6405d276c.jpg20220109_223105.jpg.227ceaf64ff916a032f3bf9f4b21ad65.jpg

The coaches are progressing too, the LFK is going to be the first through the paint shop, I'm brushing railmatch rail grey and then the plan is to mask off and spray the blue. For the blue I have had a tin of RAL 5020 mixed up so looking forward to trialling this.

20220109_223145.jpg.494e3a959c80718947f8922f0fb2487d.jpg

The other cut and shuts are slowly getting detailed up, new buffers and rubbing plates have been acquired and I'm  awaiting some roof vents to change them around. Tonight's job was to also think up which ones are to be painted up so iv got the blue and grey set nominated so it's just a case of plodding on.

20220109_223159.jpg.27ed190be0e83b2057f348a539ee66ba.jpg

As a quick job one afternoon between Xmas and New year I knocked up a pair of Cambrian BAA's in the kit stash just to keep the juices flowing, 1st coat of bauxite on tonight. Hopefully work will settle down this week so I'll get some more time and the weather a little better next weekend for spraying.

Hope everyone had a good festive period.

Cheers

James

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Hi James, can I ask what make of wagon wheels did you use for your Hornby wagons? I have some Dapol 3 hole wheels but the axels are a bit too long.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Morning Steve, they could be Dapol or maybe Hornby 3 hole wheels. I have deffo used more Dapol ones so I'd say it's them. What I found was that you may need to put them in and take them out a couple of times to sort of bed them in, soon enough you will get a free wheeling wagon.

Hope this helps

James

10 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Morning Steve, they could be Dapol or maybe Hornby 3 hole wheels. I have deffo used more Dapol ones so I'd say it's them. What I found was that you may need to put them in and take them out a couple of times to sort of bed them in, soon enough you will get a free wheeling wagon.

Hope this helps

James

Thanks James I'll give that a go. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColinK said:

I like the BR geeen Janus in the background.

Thanks Colin, it's one of my favourite re paints is that, really suits it. One day I'll get another one to have a blue one to go with it.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another couple of weeks has gone by and 0 modelling time from the last update until tonight.... frustrating but that's life! My roof vents from MJT arrived last week so I made time this evening to get up to the desk and made a start on the LFK roof layout as per the Parkin diagrams. All went well and I'm pretty pleased with how it looks. I know it's not perfect but it looks something like:

20220126_230443.jpg.6a236a8263e5ce91fc62a649c6a879bb.jpg

One more brush coat of grey and itl be ready for some blue, I must get round to ordering some commonwealth bogies soon too. Lots more to follow hopefully tomorrow and into the weekend.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Want some commonweath bogies?

DSCF0207.JPG.233b9f87e0f4ba4798a7ab60d1bea0b3.JPGDSCF0205.JPG.4a394aab061b08b35d816b56bc748b15.JPG

This is a trix bogie with peters spares 14mm wheels added. And placed next to the replica one for comparison (it is the one with the coupling). Frames going free, just supply your own wheels.

The Trix bogie is 1mm too short in wheelbase, so suspect the bogie to be a tad too short, but bunging 14mm wheels in one and it looks correct.

Who is going to measure a bogie on a moving coach at an exhibition?

Trix coaches are great, the sides for making Swindon DMUs, the roof correct profile for Hastings units, the underframe right length (and bogie centers) for LNER coaches and the bogies wonderful for Tri-ang Mk1 coaches. Not bad for a model that on its own is pretty useless as it is noticeably under scale. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1