Fallen in love with a Crocodile :)

As often happens after seeing a random image then checking out YouTube I have fallen in love lol.

So I was wondering where best to try and buy one of these?

Assume they are all H0?

Thanks for any tips

post-1423-0-10570500-1432550383.jpg

• Like 3

As often happens after seeing a random image then checking out YouTube I have fallen in love lol.

So I was wondering where best to try and buy one of these?

Assume they are all H0?

Thanks for any tips

You could try Arcadia Rail they are very helpful and I've found them very reliable. ( ironically as I'm typing this reply their ad is flashing at the bottom of the page !)

p.s. I like your choice!

• RMweb Gold

That's a Swiss SBB Ce6/8 and available from Trix or Roco in HO. There is a brown version too. I used to have one each of the Roco ones and they were superb models in detail and running plus cheaper than the Trix / Marklin ones. N gauge ones are around too.

Arcadia, Winco, Gaugemaster amongst others and of course eBay.

Edited by PaulRhB

There I was thinking about GWR bogie well wagons!

You are correct re H0 - there have been various attempts AFAIK.

The only 00 version I am aware of is the old Kitmaster kit (no motor and collectible of course!).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Kitmaster+crocodile&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=Yf5iVdDlM4TD7gaUpIDoAg

Edited by Il Grifone

Hello Mike,

Why not try your local shop: http://morris-models.co.uk/model-railways/2229923

I would suggest the Roco model is somewhat 'finer' than the Trix model and may well run smoother. That said, the Trix model will last a lifetime and if you lightly grease it's gear train, is not too noisy.

If you wanted any further refinements like sound, again I would suggest Roco as I find Trix sound somewhat artificial but it's all subjective really.

HTH,

John E.

PS great choice, there are also Austrian and German versions available too!!!

Thanks all, this is all way out of my understanding.

Need to find a stock number of something for the one in the pic, green with that same side rod arrangement is what I'd want.

Can't seem to find any to buy new, what sort of price would I expect to pay?

Thanks

Hello Mike,

Why not try your local shop: http://morris-models.co.uk/model-railways/2229923

I would suggest the Roco model is somewhat 'finer' than the Trix model and may well run smoother. That said, the Trix model will last a lifetime and if you lightly grease it's gear train, is not too noisy.

If you wanted any further refinements like sound, again I would suggest Roco as I find Trix sound somewhat artificial but it's all subjective really.

HTH,

John E.

PS great choice, there are also Austrian and German versions available too!!!

Hmm A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server 216.40.42.4 responded with: ** info@morris-models.co.uk 554:5.7.1 <info@morris-models.co.uk>: Recipient address rejected: user info@morris-models.co.uk does not exist This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout01.

Will try calling, only up the road from me.

Hello Mike

The model in your picture is a Roco 63849 HO SBB Ce6/8 Crocodile Electric Loco Green III.

Though looking around I cannot find one, might not be available new anymore. 

I found something similar at Arcadia Rail, but are closed this week

http://www.arcadiarailonline.co.uk/Roco-63744-OBB-Rh118903-ELECTRIC-LOCOMOTIVE-III-

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

Edited by ANT

As you love Crocodiles here's another one. My favourite, the OBB 1020. Roco do a model of this one. I used to own one, superb detail and smooth runner.

post-7898-0-30974600-1432632485_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 2

Crocodiles  come  in  many  sizes   From  Z  gauge  thro'  to  7.25"  gauge!!

Pics  attached  show    one  of  the   very  large  ones! 7.25"  and  a  couple  on  one  of  my  garden  lines  from  the  past  in 45mm ( G scale)

These are photos  of  photos!!

Also  woth  a  look  at  Rails Sheffield SH & Ebay  listings  they sometimes  list a  few  ( Ihave  used  this  source  frequently  for  many items  never  a  problem)

post-10539-0-69175900-1432635229.jpg

post-10539-0-47861200-1432635242.jpg

post-10539-0-57357400-1432635251.jpg

• Like 4

For  info.......  the  BIG  Croc in the  above  picture  was  at Tan - y  Bwlch  station on  the  Ffestiniog Rly,    A temporary length of 7.25" track was laid in the  car park occasionally for a few days so that  locos  could be  run,  The Gentelman that arranged  this  had a 7.25 railway in the grounds of  his   property in Llanfrothen  which is  betrween  Porthmadog  &  Tremadoc, I  forget his  name, but he did write some Railway books including 'How to Drive a Steam Engine'  weel worth  a  read!

There  were usually 3 locos in the  carpark,  The Croc,  a Massive 2-8-2 8-2  SAR type Garrat named Mount Kilimanjarrow,  and  I think it  was 1 2-6-o Amercan style NG steam loco.

I know  that  the  Croc  was  built by a company called  Pfeiferbahn  ( Preston area) who dealt in mainly 16mm Gardenraliway items, but occasionally built for  other scales,  The owner told me  he had bought   an LGB Crocodile to use as  a guide  to building  the  big  one.

All this  was  in  the  80s

Brown or Green  ones  look a little  more  refined I think.

All this Crocodile  talk  has  now  got  me  wanting  one  myself  again  for  the   Garden  Line currently under ( quite slow construction!!)  Oh Dear  that  would mean catenary  wouldnt  it??!!

Thanks for all the relies chaps, most kind.

What a fascinating locomotive type this is!

Still feel very our of my depth as have never looked at anything other than UK stuff.

Have made a number of enquiries but no joy as yet.

About how much should I be looking to pay for a very good second hand version of this?

Can't seem to access the classified section here to check?

Around  £100, continental is  more  expensive  than  UK  but  the  quality  is  superb  (although looking  at  eBay  this  may  be  a  bit  low!)

Suggest you look at  Rails  Sheffield  Ebay  site  to get  a  guide on  prices

Got  a  Nice LNER  4-6-2-2  Hush  Hush  nearly  £3K  on!!

Edited by Stevelewis

.....I would suggest the Roco model is somewhat 'finer' ....

.....apart from the huge flanges on the wheels. Roco seem to be a bit undecided over whether to use RP25-88 (fine) or the coarse-grade flanges - some of their newer models have the former, and some the latter!

Trix are bringing out HO. Swiss Brown Crocodile item 22953 comes with sound 12 functions, metal construction, 2 flywheels, due around September 2015. Trix are owned by Marklin and provide excellent models.

Also due around September is a smaller type of  crocodile called a Seetal Crocodile item 22246 this also has sound,

If you cannot get hold of a Trix catalogue , look on Gaugemaster website,

Both these models are quoted by Trix as one time series. Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

OK I've come to this one nearly 2 years late, but had to report that that's me driving the Croc at Tan y Bwlch and I was involved in the construction of the beast. It was indeed the brainchild of Brian Hollingsworth who built the body. The bogies were the work of Don Fifer (Pfeifferbahn), the beautifully metal bashed and distinctive bonnets were by Warren Shephard (7mm modeller of note these days) and I was charged (!) with the electrics. As I recall each bogie had a 1hp (I think) 36v motor controlled by a commercial chopper style control box amidships with the lead acid batteries. All conrol was from a cable connected hand held box which controlled air brakes, air whistle, forward/reverse and power controller- all of which presented quite a challenge design wise as it had to fail safe in the event of the controller being disabled..

The piece de resistance were the RhB station bell sounds recorded to a ROM chip  (in 1987 !) and donated by a Swiss gentleman I believe and this necessitated the Croc to have its own sound system!

The intention was to have the battery charging done by way of the pantograph (which Brian lovingly crafted mainly from Meccano) from catenary contained within its shed which Brian had speciallly made and was installed on its own siding alongside the Cafe but this was never finalised.

The railway itself ran for several seasons and all the equipment was Brians and later returned to his home to enable completion of his Croesor Junction and Pacific Railway. Other locos of Brians that ran there were :-The EAR Garratt "Mount Kilimanjaro" lately with its sister at Weston Park, "The Queen of Clorado" ( D&RG K27 2-8-2), The Darj- Darjeeling B class and briefly "White Fire", a Bullock Pacific ( Originally "Monarch", then "Audrey" and when Brian aquired it, "Bubbles"- he gave me one of the plates!) regauged from and now back to 10.25" at Eastleigh.

Happy days pre H&S police and Safety Cases!!  Nobody got run over, burnt or electrocuted.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was aware of crocodiles as a lad courtesy of the Kitmaster kit, and during a family touring holly in 1966, while driving between Lausanne and Martigny up the Rhone Valley prior to going over the Simplon, mother, who knew more about railways than she ever let on, shouted out 'look, a crocodile', and there it was, pacing us at about 40mph on a heavy freight.  One of my favourite railway memories!