Larkrail, Bath 18th July 2015

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Popped into the Titfield Thunderbolt today and saw Simons poster for the show so thought I better add it here. Anyone who's been before will know this is a gem of a small show, only £4 with all the profit to charity, with a few layouts and several demos.

Simon has hopefully a bit of a coup on the demo front but hopefully he will reveal all soon ;)

Oh and there's a rather good bookshop about 100 yds from the show, entrance to the shop is free but I doubt you'll leave with all your cash unless you're much more disciplined than me ;)

post-6968-0-46697700-1433959383.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I also hope to be there with Coevoordsekade. I might even have made some progress beyond that show at RMWeb Taunton and at the Exeter show! The question is, can I get to Bath by train? I think the date is inside the blockade, but it should be possible from the west.

For anyone else coming by train the NetWork Rail web site has this post...

18 July to 31 July 2015

The line between Chippenham and Bathampton Junction will be closed.

This will result in a reduced number of services from Bath Spa towards London to one per hour and they will be diverted via Westbury. Don't forget however, that you can always get to London via Bristol.

• RMweb Gold

For anyone else coming by train the NetWork Rail web site has this post...

18 July to 31 July 2015

The line between Chippenham and Bathampton Junction will be closed.

This will result in a reduced number of services from Bath Spa towards London to one per hour and they will be diverted via Westbury. Don't forget however, that you can always get to London via Bristol.

I always said it was a bad idea to do away with the north curve at Bradford Junctions!  It would almost have paid to put it back in for this lot.  However those of us travelling 'from the east'  can still have the amusement of our train reversing seemingly in the middle of nowhere at Bradford (South) Jcn as, according to Realtime Trains, they are not going to Westbury to reverse.

Incidentally if you are coming from the east and going via Bristol will take somewhat longer than taking an (in)direct train via Chippenham/Bradford Jcn although it almost fills in a gap in an otherwise hourly service.  But - from past experience - trains on the Bristol - Bath - Westbury - various route do tend to get very busy on Summer Saturdays.

Now all we need is the local 'bus timetable - please.

• RMweb Premium

Motor omnibuses from Bath Spa to Larkhall: catch a First 6 or 7 from Bath Bus Station bay 9 and alight at Larkhall Square (the bus stop is roughly equidistant between the exhibition and a certain bookshop).

Saturday timetable
http://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/plan-journey/timetables/?day=2&source_id=2&service=6/7&routeid=12253671&operator=3&source=sp

Sunday timetable

http://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/plan-journey/timetables/?day=3&source_id=2&service=6/7&routeid=12253671&operator=3&source=sp

Having done the reverse at Bradford South Jcn in the past as part of an unplanned emergency diversion the procedure is quite slick as the appropriate stopping point signs are provided. I wonder if they will have sufficient staff resources available to man each cab and avoid the need for the driver to change ends?  

Alternatively alight at Chippenham and catch a First 231 or Faresaver X31 (both run twice and hour) from the station forecourt to Lambridge for a 5 minute walk to the exhibition (note, the distance implies a 5 minute walk, having to pass a book shop en-route may increase the duration of the transfer!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for flagging this up Paul, preparations are well under way but this will be going down in history as the least "organised" show ever I think.

However, there is some good stuff coming and there are lots of interesting demo type things.

Layoutwise the "headlines" are probably Tim Tinknell's "Plaxtol Road" the first outing for Mike Corp's new 14.2 gauge essay and Robin Gay's new P4 Wantage. Plus Peter Kirkmond's Laramie, Jerry Clifford's W.Smiths Wharf and some more...

Demo-wise Gordon and Maggie Gravett are doing things with grass and trees, Laurie Griffin and his loco bits, and I'm very pleased to announce that Iain Rice and Simon De Souza will be supporting each other in some sort of Plastikard based activity.

All that and tea, and I absolutely promise it won't rain as much as it did last year!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Demo-wise Gordon and Maggie Gravett are doing things with grass and trees, 

Yay!

Iain Rice and Simon De Souza will be supporting each other in some sort of Plastikard based activity.

Yay!

• RMweb Gold

Show organisation is about to go pool-side, I hope to have a plan worked out before the end of next week.

It's a tough job, but.....

Ciao

Simon

...a plan before the end of the week - could prove to be one of the best organise shows:-)

We realise it's a tough job Simon so, on behalf of everyone back here in Blighty, can I thank you for the huge sacrifice you are making. You may need a beer before you eventually put your crayons down!!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Crayons? A new range of Wild Swan colouring books? ;)

Sadly it looks like I'll have to miss this years show. My choice but a more important thing has come up and I can't manage both on the Saturday in opposite directions. Will have to hope for photos and pop over again for retail therapy in the shop when time allows.

Have a great show and I look forward to hearing about it.

Crayons? A new range of Wild Swan colouring books? ;)

Sadly it looks like I'll have to miss this years show. My choice but a more important thing has come up and I can't manage both on the Saturday in opposite directions. Will have to hope for photos and pop over again for retail therapy in the shop when time allows.

Have a great show and I look forward to hearing about it.

John,

I will take some pictures for you and bring them to DRAG.

As progress on Coevoordsekade has been rather slow, I might take my radio controlled garden loco frames with me as well.

With our host away "Lake side", I will have wait until Wells to pick up my copy of the lovely book you leant me.... My fault for ordering too late!

Maurice

• RMweb Gold

All being well, and through the good offices of Iain Rice, Paul Karau and Rowena Barlow, I am hoping to have the wonderful but not as yet seen in public "Ynys Gwyntog" model on display at the show next Saturday. It is Bob's re-interpretation in 7mm scale of Cyril Burch's model that originally appeared in "Model Railway News" back in 1965.

See http://www.greystarpublications.com/ngi/review%20blog.htm for Bob's account of the project last September.

Simon

Archived